Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

First SUP, Fanatic Stylemaster 2020

Created by Jhev > 9 months ago, 12 May 2020
Jhev
6 posts
12 May 2020 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,
gone out on a limb here and just bought myself a Fanatic Stylemaster. I have never been on a SUP but have always surfed logs and mals.
Anyone know what these boards perform like and are they reasonably easy to get started on?

Rossall
WA, 690 posts
12 May 2020 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

Great longboard style sup, very good construction, good weight, easy to jump on the nose so bloody good choice ????

dingfix
84 posts
13 May 2020 3:36AM
Thumbs Up

This board is on my short-list, interested in how you get on with it. Rossall, have you spent much time on one. I've not seen one yet, interested to know how much nose and tail rocker. Thanks.

Jhev
6 posts
13 May 2020 4:30AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Rossall.
Dingfix, I will keep you informed, I won't be on it for a couple of weeks (have some breaks to heel, bloody car drivers)
will be straight out then. In the mean time I will just stare at it ??

anchorpoint
190 posts
13 May 2020 5:12AM
Thumbs Up

i have the old model , love it! some people say its not for advanced riders as its kind of flat and lack tail and nose rocker, but it glides so easily ,its not made for hollow waves obviously ( you will learn the hard way !) but if you are just going for nose riding in small medium waves or even big soft opening waves then its a good board, all depend what you are looking for here.. Also important to note its not a crasy huge volume board for its size...the rails are quite slim actually but in the right conditions IMHO its a keeper.

johndg
WA, 206 posts
13 May 2020 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

Nice board. I have the bamboo version and it is a keeper. It goes well in most conditions even hollow waves. The only time I have been limited is on big fast waves where it lacks top end. Maybe I could be more on the tail.
I have had neaps of boards over the years and this is one of the best I have had, 8 5 Speed is one board I should have kept too!

Sandsy1
NSW, 814 posts
13 May 2020 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jhev said..
Hi all,
gone out on a limb here and just bought myself a Fanatic Stylemaster. I have never been on a SUP but have always surfed logs and mals.
Anyone know what these boards perform like and are they reasonably easy to get started on?

The sylemaster is a good all round board. I surfed one a few times before I got my latest board. If you prefer to ride log style boards, get a Jimmy Lewis Black and Blue as well. He made me a custom as I wanted 10 foot, but didn't want the stock board (10'1") as it was too wide and thick for me. The 9'9" stock board would be perfect. They trim and drive well and if you are capable, nose ride really well. Love my board.

Jhev
6 posts
13 May 2020 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks everyone, feel like I have made the right choice.
Nice pic sandsy1.

Rossall
WA, 690 posts
13 May 2020 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone managed to ride the 9 ft StyleMaster, it's one I have never seen around Perth

phil

coogee82
NSW, 4 posts
13 May 2020 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,
Bought the 10ft stylemaster after a shoulder reconstruction prevented me from surfing anymore about 2 years ago. Have surfed for 50 odd years so have plenty of miles under my belt.
Surfs like a 10ft Mal and will catch almost anything no matter how small or full. Can walk the nose, trim, do cutties and all the tricks of a normal prone Mal.
Found it a little hard to turn unless on the tail so I bought the same board in 9ft about 6 months ago and it rips from 1-8 ft in all conditions.
Surfs as good as any of my Mals used to, when you get your feet right.
Also have a fanatic stubby 8.6 and Allwave 7.11 for different conditions so have plenty of comparisons here.
At 5"10, 72kg and 61 years, the 9ft stylemaster is pretty much a great all round board and better than the 10ft due to less volume and 1" narrower width. Very stable once you get used to the domed deck and has great glide.
Hope this helps.
HB

CaptainJimbo
160 posts
14 May 2020 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Coogee, you sound like you have preferences similar to mine. I've been looking at the Stylemaster 10' for some time but I can't find a 9' Stylemaster on the Smik website. Did you mean a Hipster? Would love to know the dims on the 9'. How wide is it?
Cheers, Jimbo.

rockmagnet
QLD, 1458 posts
14 May 2020 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

It's a Fanatic. Obi wan Kenobi says "This is not the board Your looking for"

CaptainJimbo
160 posts
14 May 2020 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rockmagnet said..

Ta Rocky, my bad. Becoming good at making mistakes. I blame the virus!
Cheers, Jimbo

CaptainJimbo
160 posts
14 May 2020 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rockmagnet said..

Ok Rocky. Just looked at the Fanatic site but cannot find 9' Stylemasters. A couple of 10 footers but not a 9'. Maybe it was an Allwave?
Cheers, Jimbo

CaptainJimbo
160 posts
14 May 2020 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
coogee82 said..
Hi all,
Bought the 10ft stylemaster after a shoulder reconstruction prevented me from surfing anymore about 2 years ago. Have surfed for 50 odd years so have plenty of miles under my belt.
Surfs like a 10ft Mal and will catch almost anything no matter how small or full. Can walk the nose, trim, do cutties and all the tricks of a normal prone Mal.
Found it a little hard to turn unless on the tail so I bought the same board in 9ft about 6 months ago and it rips from 1-8 ft in all conditions.
Also have a fanatic stubby 8.6 and Allwave 7.11 for different conditions so have plenty of comparisons here.
At 5"10, 72kg and 61 years, the 9ft stylemaster is pretty much a great all round board and better than the 10ft due to less volume and 1" narrower width. Very stable once you get used to the domed deck and has great glide.
Hope this helps.
HB

Hi Coogee. I looked at the wrong site for a Stylemaster. But, just hit the Fanatic site and still can't find a 9' Stylemaster. Any ideas?
Cheers, Jimbo.

justaddwater
NSW, 675 posts
14 May 2020 2:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CaptainJimbo said..

coogee82 said..
Hi all,
Hope this helps.
HB

Hi Coogee. I looked at the wrong site for a Stylemaster. But, just hit the Fanatic site and still can't find a 9' Stylemaster. Any ideas?
Cheers, Jimbo.

Jimbo,I think 9' discontinued for 2020

CaptainJimbo
160 posts
14 May 2020 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
justaddwater said..

CaptainJimbo said..

coogee82 said..
Hi all,
Hope this helps.
HB

Cheers, Jimbo.

JAW, thanks for that. My search continues.
Cheers, Jimbo

Mark Horn
WA, 24 posts
15 May 2020 7:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CaptainJimbo said..

justaddwater said..

CaptainJimbo said..

coogee82 said..
Hi all,
Hope this helps.
HB

Cheers, Jimbo.

JAW, thanks for that. My search continues.
Cheers, Jimbo

Smik do a 9ft Mini Lord

www.smiksup.com/mini-style-lord

Looks an awesome shape

CaptainJimbo
160 posts
16 May 2020 7:00AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Mark. Yep, it's been on my radar for a while.
Jimbo

Sandsy1
NSW, 814 posts
16 May 2020 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
coogee82 said..
Hi all,
Hope this helps.
HB

Shoulder reco's are hard work. Hope all going well!

coogee82
NSW, 4 posts
18 May 2020 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Hi again,
thx for the well wishes.
I think I may have got the last 9 ft stylemaster in the country but if you keep checking out all the sites and shops on the net I'm sure one will come up eventually. Dimensions are 9ft x 29" x 115 litres and 4.0" thick.
They are not making any more 9footers ever so 2nd hand may be your only option
Cheers ??

coogee82
NSW, 4 posts
18 May 2020 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Well you're in luck.... I did some research and ess board store Erina has a (new) 2019 stylemaster (bamboo edition)
for sale for $1529 if you're keen to get one. Highly recommended ????

coogee82
NSW, 4 posts
18 May 2020 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"First SUP, Fanatic Stylemaster 2020" started by Jhev