Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Gerry Lopez 8'11 lil darlin

Created by DILLIGAF2 > 9 months ago, 25 Aug 2010
DILLIGAF2
218 posts
25 Aug 2010 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Just picked up the 8'11 for my wife and first impessions are very positive.

Construction is excellent, rocker is good on both the tail and nose and the rails are really nice.

The deck also has a slight concave like the Sub vectors but not nearly as pronouced.

Will post more once its been on the water and in the surf!

wazza66
QLD, 607 posts
26 Aug 2010 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Nice looking board... just watch the deck grip doesn't peel off or shrink like my mates board did.

He had to take it back peel off the old stuff and put another brand of deck grip on.

However apart from that he loves it.

Daneli
QLD, 1538 posts
27 Aug 2010 6:29AM
Thumbs Up

C'mon DILLI, is it really for the wife

DILLIGAF2
218 posts
27 Aug 2010 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Daneli said...

C'mon DILLI, is it really for the wife

LOL O yeah I've been given the evils even at the mention of taking it out before she has chance to

billboard
VIC, 2814 posts
27 Aug 2010 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

Might be worthwhile running a thin band of sikoflex around the deck pad because the surftech pads have a bit of history in not staying stuck down.

boarder paul
1952 posts
28 Aug 2010 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

Delligaf2

Are you on the couch yet for taking the wifes board out

A night or two on the couch would be ok

DILLIGAF2
218 posts
30 Aug 2010 6:47AM
Thumbs Up

billboard said...

Might be worthwhile running a thin band of sikoflex around the deck pad because the surftech pads have a bit of history in not staying stuck down.

Thanks Billboard will keep an eye on it. It seems to be placed in 4 sections so hopefully they have sorted any issues

DILLIGAF2
218 posts
30 Aug 2010 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

A few pics of the Lil Darlin next to the Sub vector 9'3

Daneli
QLD, 1538 posts
30 Aug 2010 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

DILLIGAF2 said...

Hi DILLI,

I see your have the paddle carry straps on the SV. Whats the verdict? I have never seen them but was a bit reluctant of the concept in case they got tangle around my big toe or something in a wipeout. I reckon the new SV carrry handles are still too shallow

Thanks

DILLIGAF2
218 posts
30 Aug 2010 8:07AM
Thumbs Up

Daneli said...

DILLIGAF2 said...

Hi DILLI,

I see your have the paddle carry straps on the SV. Whats the verdict? I have never seen them but was a bit reluctant of the concept in case they got tangle around my big toe or something in a wipeout. I reckon the new SV carrry handles are still too shallow

Thanks

Hi Daneli

Straps work really well. As you leave them open when not using them there's no way of trapping your toes as I had the same fear too.

Kagey
569 posts
30 Aug 2010 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Nice pics mate how did the board go I can see where you were over the w end from the pics, was it any good? swell map looked crap.

DILLIGAF2
218 posts
30 Aug 2010 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

Kagey said...

Nice pics mate how did the board go I can see where you were over the w end from the pics, was it any good? swell map looked crap.

Hi Mate

Got up for the early on Saturaday Clean chest high had a great surf then it got blown out around 10. Lil Darlin is a great board from what I saw, as its still out of bounds
Got out at the heads yesterday too, was really choppy and windy the lil darlin had a really hard time but the 9'3 got some great long rides!

standupper
387 posts
30 Aug 2010 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Come on she'll never know, maybe throw a sickie and go out while shes at work! I'm hangin out to hear a comparison of the two. The SV is probably the sensible option but I can get the Lopez for $500 LESS and thats a new paddle, or money towards board no. 3!!

Kagey
569 posts
30 Aug 2010 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

What Mangawhai?

boarder paul
1952 posts
30 Aug 2010 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

The lopez looks more refined, That 9'3 subv looks chunky Nice looking board though

DILLIGAF2
218 posts
30 Aug 2010 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

standupper said...

Come on she'll never know, maybe throw a sickie and go out while shes at work! I'm hangin out to hear a comparison of the two. The SV is probably the sensible option but I can get the Lopez for $500 LESS and thats a new paddle, or money towards board no. 3!!

True
The GL is a great looking board but personally I would say the 9'3 SV will be a more versatile board due to the ability to handle chop. Having said that it was only her first few hours out on it so she'll get used to it a bit more. She did catch a wave within seconds of being out and flew past me with a huge smile on her face

I also prefer the 5 fin box of the C4 but would I pay $500 more hard to say depends on your wallet. I am a little concerned about the GL nose as its so thin a good beach tombstone would surely bugger it.

The GL is super light compared to the C4 too but thats stringer vs Tuflite I guess.

I've been assured if there's waves this weekend I can try it

DILLIGAF2
218 posts
30 Aug 2010 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

Kagey said...

What Mangawhai?

Yep on Sunday morning but boy it was windy then a local told us about another beach between the heads and Ti which was really isolated and not as windy till Suzy took the lil darlin out then it picked up again

standupper
387 posts
30 Aug 2010 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

From your photos they look surprisingly similar in shape. The GL maybe has a slightly fuller nose. I am keeping my 9' x 33" SB Hero (146Lvolume) for the small and choppy days. I'm just a bit worried the Lopez 126L volume will float my 95kg ass to paddle around on good days. I guess it might just take a bit longer to get used to it.

DILLIGAF2
218 posts
30 Aug 2010 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

boarder paul said...

The lopez looks more refined, That 9'3 subv looks chunky Nice looking board though

True but the C4 comes from a different concept i.e concave deck and boxy rails.

worth watching

DILLIGAF2
218 posts
30 Aug 2010 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

standupper said...

From your photos they look surprisingly similar in shape. The GL maybe has a slightly fuller nose. I am keeping my 9' x 33" SB Hero (146Lvolume) for the small and choppy days. I'm just a bit worried the Lopez 126L volume will float my 95kg ass to paddle around on good days. I guess it might just take a bit longer to get used to it.

Yeah the GL has a fuller nose with slightly more rocker. Small and choppy days at your weight I'd go SV 9'3 anyday over a hero. GL is super light and I've heard of big guys out in small chop but I'd say the 9'3 would be better as more fin options.
The hero is just a scaled down whopper from what little I know about it and my wife started on the whopper loved it till she knew her stuff but didn't want to go to the hero as wanted a faster board.

boarder paul
1952 posts
30 Aug 2010 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

The 9'6 subv has a lot of rocker vs the 9'3 and from what i hear a better all round option in the subv range.

standupper
387 posts
30 Aug 2010 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

boarder paul said...

The 9'6 subv has a lot of rocker vs the 9'3 and from what i hear a better all round option in the subv range.

Hey BP you won't need that rocker in Christchurch. The 9'3 's more fishlike shape will be way better. Flatter bottoms are generally faster, but increased rocker is often needed in steeper hollow waves. Unless you only surfed the Sumner bar on big winter swells you don't need all that rocker.

DILLIGAF2
218 posts
30 Aug 2010 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

boarder paul said...

I think it comes down to what you want and the kind of waves you surf. Thats why I went for both only 2 more weeks to wait for my 9'6. If your right though you may see my 9'3 on trade me but I can't see it myself at this stage.

DILLIGAF2
218 posts
30 Aug 2010 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

standupper said...

boarder paul said...

Hey BP you won't need that rocker in Christchurch. The 9'3 's more fishlike shape will be way better. Flatter bottoms are generally faster, but increased rocker is often needed in steeper hollow waves. Unless you only surfed the Sumner bar on big winter swells you don't need all that rocker.

Agreed Don't get caught up in the 'lack of rocker' on the 9'3 as its not that much of a drama you just put your weight back sooner when needed unless its a really huge steep day.

boarder paul
1952 posts
30 Aug 2010 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

standupper said...

boarder paul said...

True i guess, the mana had a heap of rocker and it was great, But have not tried anything else yet.
I do agree though and think the lopez shape and c4 will be good for here and also Laguna bay boards, Laguna bay also have a little bit more fuller nose.

I hope to try out a lopez lill darlin, I think at 88kg im about right for its volume
But i do prefer 130litres If the board was factory.

Im not sold on the 9'3 for 88kg i think its a bit light for that board but at 95 it would rock here, Its hard i guess with the local price now of these

standupper
387 posts
30 Aug 2010 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

DILLIGAF2 said...

standupper said...

Yeah the GL has a fuller nose with slightly more rocker. Small and choppy days at your weight I'd go SV 9'3 anyday over a hero. GL is super light and I've heard of big guys out in small chop but I'd say the 9'3 would be better as more fin options.
The hero is just a scaled down whopper from what little I know about it and my wife started on the whopper loved it till she knew her stuff but didn't want to go to the hero as wanted a faster board.

Yeah the Hero is not particularly fast but is worlds apart from the Whopper in performance and speed. I do like the sound of the stability and speed the Svectors are renowned for although The Lopez is supposed to be quick too. I am after a decent step up in surfing performance but over summer here there is almost always wind and chop so I don't want a board I can only take out half the year. I wish I could demo them like the Aussies can!

boarder paul
1952 posts
30 Aug 2010 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

I was going to look into another naish, but as you mention its a lot of rocker for here, And good if only on the bar.

DILLIGAF2
218 posts
30 Aug 2010 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

BP try them both mate. I'm 82kg and the SV works great for me. The GL is a great price though beats the hell out of Starboard and Naish for NZ prices!

boarder paul
1952 posts
30 Aug 2010 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

standupper said...

DILLIGAF2 said...

standupper said...

Yeah the Hero is not particularly fast but is worlds apart from the Whopper in performance and speed. I do like the sound of the stability and speed the Svectors are renowned for although The Lopez is supposed to be quick too. I am after a decent step up in surfing performance but over summer here there is almost always wind and chop so I don't want a board I can only take out half the year. I wish I could demo them like the Aussies can!

Have you looked into the ubersmooth? kagey is 95+kg and is on that board
Selling at the same price

boarder paul
1952 posts
30 Aug 2010 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

DILLIGAF2 said...

BP try them both mate. I'm 82kg and the SV works great for me. The GL is a great price though beats the hell out of Starboard and Naish for NZ prices!

If you cant float it in chop, then there is no way i can and standupper will be in the crap at 95kg so get out on your wifes board and let us know

standupper
387 posts
30 Aug 2010 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Bp I don't want to wind you up gain but a short 130L board is going to be a real uphill battle to learn on. Most people work there way down slowly as they get better and fitter. Its much harder work paddling a smaller board in the surf. You should try and borrow or hire one until after summer.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Gerry Lopez 8'11 lil darlin" started by DILLIGAF2