Gerry Lopez Kaiwi Kai 14ft Downwind racer

Created by ScarbsSUP > 9 months ago, 22 Nov 2012
ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
22 Nov 2012 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Peeps,

We had a very exciting delivery today from Surftech. Lots of Barks and such which are all very exciting, but this is the first time we have seen the 14ft Gerry Lopez Kaiwi Kai Downwinder board.

Made in Pro Elite (lightweight) construction, it's light for it's size. The volume is the noticeable thing @ 325 litres. Dims are 14' x 28" x 5.75"

This board is so striking looking, talk about stand out from the crowd!

Square tail for stability and a clean release edge. Rails are quite sharp in the tail but ease off into nicely rounded square the further forward you go. Once you get past the rounded convex nose, the board carries a very subtle concave throughout almost the entire length to a fairly flat tail.

The nose is perfectly rounded in the bottom shape and has no spine whatsoever. The photo gives the impression of slight spine but it is an illusion.

The tail is 240mm wide and slightly rounded.

Big thick boxy rounded rails for super stability.

New recessed handle which locks down into place when not in use and is super easy to carry. No more strained fingers!

Handle when up and in carrying position. Sweet!

I desperately need to paddle this board in a cranking downwinder. The new range of Surftech is really on the money this year!

Stoked!

DM

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
25 Nov 2012 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

i got to see the 12'6 and 14' er today. while i'm a lahui kai camper and happy as, i'm exited by the range. very up to date shapes with the squarish rails and the rounded displacement dishy type nose . single concave to v tail.

pleased because it not just another pointy nose board range.

reckon they would be really bloody good dw boards and i hoping that justin from jm sups can organise a demo board.

i'm bagging first go- i hope

hilly
WA, 5638 posts
25 Nov 2012 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to Dogman I did a cracking dw run on this board on Saturday.

Very impressed well worth a demo.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
26 Nov 2012 1:01AM
Thumbs Up

Wow, that's a cool looking board!

ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
26 Nov 2012 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,

I'm putting the current one into demo and we have another one on the way for stock. Planning on taking it down to paddle "the Cut" on the next good day.

I reckon it could be a cracker for longer period chop races like "the Duel", "the Doctor" and "King of the Cut".

Very Keen to padle it.

DM

DavidJohn
VIC, 16456 posts
26 Nov 2012 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

I paddled it while at Merimbula and took some pics... It's 'different' and very 'pointy' ..

DJ

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
26 Nov 2012 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...
I paddled it while at Merimbula and took some pics... It's 'different' and very 'pointy' ..

DJ

haha, i mean pointy as in displacement type everyday nose

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
29 Nov 2012 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

I've had some super fun sessions in the surf with both the 12'6 and 14ft boards

watched Zeb from patagonia shredding on both in the pink surf at torquay point around lunchtime

man they look scary when they are screaming down the line at you with that skewer for a nose

sick in the waves and super fun DWing

sorry lacey but no helicopters nailed on it YET!!!!!!!!!

over n out 10/4 rubber duckie

ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
30 Nov 2012 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

ScarbsSUP said...
Hi guys,

I'm putting the current one into demo and we have another one on the way for stock. Planning on taking it down to paddle "the Cut" on the next good day.

I reckon it could be a cracker for longer period chop races like "the Duel", "the Doctor" and "King of the Cut".

Very Keen to padle it.

DM

Board sold before we could get it into demo Another on it's way! I hope to have it for the King of the Cut.

DM

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Gerry Lopez Kaiwi Kai 14ft Downwind racer" started by ScarbsSUP