Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Gong sup 9'3 moblog SP

Created by Mbyr018 > 9 months ago, 21 Oct 2017
Mbyr018
13 posts
21 Oct 2017 4:05AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys I am interested in buying the above Sup from the gongsup website. Below is a picture with the dimensions.

I'm just after some advice from people who have ordered or ridden gong sup boards, and had the sup delevered to NZ or Australia.

How easy are they to deal with? And how is the quality of the board?

I'd appreciate your input too Colas.

anchorpoint
190 posts
21 Oct 2017 5:19AM
Thumbs Up

Colas is definitely the man on anything GONG related!

normster
NSW, 316 posts
21 Oct 2017 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

sorry, not me - looks good gong seems to have a good range of performance long-board style- what is the final price landed in oz/nz

Mbyr018
13 posts
21 Oct 2017 5:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
normster said..
sorry, not me - looks good gong seems to have a good range of performance long-board style- what is the final price landed in oz/nz

According to the website 58 euro. But that does not include VAT. Has a disclaimer saying delivery to non-eu countries may be subject to additional charge.

I have emailed them, with regards to this, just waiting to hear back. Hoping someone who has ordered from them to oz/NZ might have a better idea of final price.

anchorpoint
190 posts
21 Oct 2017 5:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mbyr018 said..

normster said..

According to the website 58 euro. But that does not include VAT. Has a disclaimer saying delivery to non-eu countries may be subject to additional charge.

I have emailed them, with regards to this, just waiting to hear back. Hoping someone who has ordered from them to oz/NZ might have a better idea of final price.

@ mbyr018 - 58 euros !!! i want 6 please!!

Slab
1063 posts
21 Oct 2017 6:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mbyr018 said..

normster said..

Well, I think you might be paying a bit more to ship to NZ.....lol!

Good luck with that one.

Mbyr018
13 posts
21 Oct 2017 6:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Slab said..

Mbyr018 said..

normster said..

Well, I think you might be paying a bit more to ship to NZ.....lol!

Good luck with that one.

Yeah definitely seems too good to be true.

colas
4993 posts
21 Oct 2017 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Mbyr018 said..

Mmm, I don't think so. The cheapest is shipping to France, and is already 70 euros (and Gong says they lose some money at this price). Shipping a board to sweden was around 200 euros at some time...
Offical info is here: www.gong-galaxy.com/magazine/news/shop-shipping-information/ but as you did, you must email them to get a quotation

About the board, in my opinion, they are very high quality for production boards. From the quality of materials (French Chomarat carbon fiber, French biosourced epoxy from the innovative "Sicomin" factory, super-high quality tough and light EPS blanks made also in the factory, ...) to the workmanship. But of course, due to time constraints, may be a bit heavier than a custom board at a competent shaper/glasser, who can take the time to as little resin as possible, and wrap the PVC sandwich around the rails (Gong boards have the top & bottom carbon layers widely overlapping on the rails, but not the PVC foam). Also the "Pro" line is made for high performance surfing, so they will stand a lot of abuse on the water, but you should not drop them on the road from the roof of your car. The "Woodckfusion" (cork+bamboo) construction for instance is designed to stand more abuse (kevlar rails), at the expense of 1.5 / 2kg more weight. Note that the weights on the web pages are to be trusted, but are given for the board without a pad (add 500g for the pad)

The shaper, Patrice Guenole, is a longboarder at heart, so he tends to have an unreasonable amount of long board SUP shapes (seven), as you saw, all with very distinctive handling and different sizes and widths

The Moblog is a special board, in that it is a longboard made with the rear section of a shortboard, so it turns like one. The fins are more aft than a normal longboard for supporting turns with the rear foot on the kick pad, and the powerful tail & center channel helps get acceleration in turns, and glide on weak waves.

It is the longboard SUP for shortboarders. I have one, and love it. It has insane glide to enter weak waves (the soft front concave is not a spoon, it is designed to accelerate the board), and once on the wave you can camp on the tail and hotdog to your heart content, just as a shortboard with a slower reaction time, the lightness of the construction keeps the swing weight down. It has a more energetic ride than anything 9'+ I tried, due to the lightness, stiffness (no wobbles!), and fast rocker. A nice touch is that there is no PVC sandwich on the bottom, simply carbon, to soften somewhat the ride.

The drawbacks are that:
- you must get to the tail to turn, it will not turn from the center
- it does not automatically adapt its speed to the speed of the curl, like a more traditional noserider
- although the wide tail hooks properly under the lip, you must keep some speed in noserides otherwise the tail will slide
- there is no US box, so you cannot put a huge 10" fin for low speed noserides. However, the 5 boxes are FCSII, which makes experimenting with fins a joy. I love to ride it with twin fins + trailer, but I guess a thruster setup is the safest bet.

The pad is now excellent (since 2016), by its grip and with strategically placed holes/arch so you feel precisely where your rear foot is on a quite large area. But since the pad is glued just before shipping, you should be able to order it with the pad not glued, if you want to use wax instead.

For repairs, Gong also sells the spray cans of the exact chemical composition and colors, so you may want to buy also at least the red, which is a custom Gong color that is not an exact RAL spec. The grey is just white on the carbon that has been sanded. But if not, the closest RAL color of the red is 3028. Note that Portuguese Gong paints are glycerophtalic but acrylic for the chinese ones, you should use the proper type for painting after repairs.

MickChard
VIC, 183 posts
21 Oct 2017 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

I would love one too the look epic .. spewing it's too expensive to ship to Aus tho .. if any one finds another way pls let me know

colas
4993 posts
21 Oct 2017 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

Mbyr018 said..
How easy are they to deal with?

They are now 12 employees at the Gong headquarters, so you should have a timely response to emails. They all speak english, and there is even one native speaker. The good thing is that the brand is 100% internet-based (no resellers), so email/phone is their natural way of doing business.

They also have a very active forum where everything can be discussed, very useful to choose between models.

As for all brands, in case of issues, it is best to directly contact them rather than posting on the forum or the internet first. But Gong is quite unique as it tries to not censor people expressing disappointment or disagreement on their forum. For instance on this thread (French only), a disgruntled customer criticizes the tuttle box reinforcement of a kite board. Patrice Guenole does not agree, the discussion goes on for 3 pages, heated at times, but the aggressive messages were not deleted. Being an internet company, they know it is no use censoring people, as they can just post their dissatisfaction anywhere else.
www.gong-galaxy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8411

Also, issues tend to be solved MUCH faster than traditional brands, as you do not have to wait for the shop to get an answer from the distributor, who will contact the importer, who will contact the headquaters...

When dealing with problems (transport dings, ...) in countries far from France, returning the board is not realistic, so you should expect some kind of partial refund to cover a local repair + loss of resale value.

colas
4993 posts
21 Oct 2017 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

MickChard said..
I would love one too the look epic .. spewing it's too expensive to ship to Aus tho .. if any one finds another way pls let me know

I heard a trick was to go on the expat forums on the close european countries (in green on the shipping info map) and see if you could hitch a ride for the board in the container of people moving to OZ/NZ for a fee. Then order the board from Gong to be delivered to them

E.g:
britishexpats.com/forum/

Mbyr018
13 posts
22 Oct 2017 4:44AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the advice Colas, helps alot with consideration of buying the board. Still keen on it haha

viatormundi
92 posts
22 Oct 2017 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

Gong has very good customer service and response. As Colas says the shaper is a surfer himself and I love his designs. I had a regular built board and that was a bit heavy but the carbon version should be lighter for sure. The transport cost to AUS/NZ will be much higher than the website quotes for sure.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Gong sup 9'3 moblog SP" started by Mbyr018