Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Hypr Nalu Hawaii 14ft Gun. You won't have seen one of these before...

Created by Area10 > 9 months ago, 24 Oct 2019
Area10
1508 posts
24 Oct 2019 11:42PM
Thumbs Up

You won't have seen one of these before because I'm getting the first one ever made :) Here it is being shaped.

14ft x 26" x 4.5"

A low volume gun for downwind, surf and general ocean fun.

These Hypr Hawaii boards have a patented concave design that really works - they increase stability greatly, and enhance speed on a wave or bump.

If you are someone to whom the old PSH 12ft and 14ft hull paddlers used to appeal, like I was (I still own a PSH 12ft gun) you'd better check these out. These are even leaner and meaner, and are made with the very best construction materials and methods. You can have them made in tropical hardwood, or like I am having, double-carbon full PVC sandwich, with thick wooden stringer and old-school wood nose and tail blocks. These are low rocker boards for guns, and this makes them surprisingly fast flat water paddlers. Expect them to be only a smidgen slower than a race board in ocean flat water, and a whole lot more "surfy" downwind and in surf. I have Hypr guns in 10-6, 11-6 and 12-6 sizes already, so know quite a bit about how they handle. I've put a picture of my 12-6 Hypr gun at the end. It's in a "redwood" finish, created with thick tropical hardwood veneers. These boards are very strong and durable, and the quality of the workmanship and materials makes your standard Cobra-built SUPs look frankly very poor.

Want one? Contact Ian Foo at Hypr Nalu Hawaii (based on the Big Island, Hawaii). Or the UK/EU distributor is Richard Webb (check him on FB).

And no, I have no connection to Hypr Hawaii. I am just an ordinary punter like anyone else, and I paid full price for my boards.

Tardy
4930 posts
25 Oct 2019 5:01AM
Thumbs Up

Now that what i call a surfable 14 .nice mate .let us know how it surfs ..

the wood nose looks grand .

Area10
1508 posts
25 Oct 2019 5:29AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers. I'm frothing. The 12-6 is extraordinarily good for DW considering it's a surf shape. Hell, even the 11-6 will pick up bumps. So the 14 should go like a rocket. There is a slow fat long wave bombora about a mile offshore near me, and this will be great for that. These boards are very strong, stiff, and durable, and they don't chip because there's no paint to chip. And of course they look like nothing else available on the market (take a look at the amazing finishes and constructions on their website).

I'm totally fed up with Cobra-made boards etc that chip and flex and are made with the cheapest materials they can get away with. By contrast, the Hypr boards are made really well, old school style, using the best materials and with real craftsmanship and attention to detail. They look good enough to hang on the wall. And are very strong and durable. And yet they aren't really any more expensive than the commonplace over-priced painted, fragile and chip-prone stuff we are often offered by the bigger brands. It's going to be hard to buy any other brand now I've seen the quality and design from Hypr, tbh. And they are so FAST.

Anyway, I'll write a report once I've got the 14. Cheers!

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
25 Oct 2019 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

You'll be picking up the board at the factory, no doubt Area10?

Area10
1508 posts
25 Oct 2019 6:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Helmy said..

Haha! Nope... fortunately the EU distributor for Hypr lives within a couple of hours drive from me.

Ian Foo, the owner of Hypr Nalu Hawaii is a very accomplished paddler, and does do a lot of paddle coaching in Hawaii. So maybe one day...

But they ship worldwide, if you are interested. Or maybe if you are coming to the UK soon you could pick one up, or if you are going to Hawaii...

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
25 Oct 2019 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

that's a keeper in the pool room.

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
26 Oct 2019 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Area 10 - you've got yrself a weapon 14 there man. What a Beast!

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
27 Oct 2019 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..

Helmy said..

Haha! Nope... fortunately the EU distributor for Hypr lives within a couple of hours drive from me.

Ian Foo, the owner of Hypr Nalu Hawaii is a very accomplished paddler, and does do a lot of paddle coaching in Hawaii. So maybe one day...

But they ship worldwide, if you are interested. Or maybe if you are coming to the UK soon you could pick one up, or if you are going to Hawaii...

Nozza,
"add to cart..."

Nozza
VIC, 2835 posts
27 Oct 2019 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Helmy said..

Nozza,
"add to cart..."

I seem to recall a discussion about a week ago about us both having all the boards we need.
How wrong could we be??????

Area10
1508 posts
30 Oct 2019 5:19AM
Thumbs Up

That's funny. I was in the same position: Fairly happy with my lot. Except I was also thinking, "it's a shame that no-one makes a low volume, medium rocker, gunny and beautifully-made 14 that would surf and downwind really well, and be pleasant for flat water touring too, cos I'm a bit bored of floaty boaty flouncy bouncy raceboards that chip and ding as soon as you look at them, and that surf and downwind like a 10ft jelly on a rollercoaster".

And then hey presto...

775 posts
30 Oct 2019 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

Sweet board and awesome to support custom board builder

tarquin1
933 posts
30 Oct 2019 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Can you let me know how far the finbox is from the tail on the 11'6. Are you happy with it there. Making an 11x28 at the moment. Thanks.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Hypr Nalu Hawaii 14ft Gun. You won't have seen one of these before..." started by Area10