Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

I see Starboard. #SIC

Created by Imoutthere > 9 months ago, 15 Jun 2016
Imoutthere
181 posts
15 Jun 2016 8:24AM
Thumbs Up

Alright, dopey question of the day here, but why would one brand use a similar decal and paintwork to another brand's spray?

It might be me but this SIC custom looks like it has a Starboard like spray. Am I wrong??? .
Source: www.facebook.com/SICMauiCustom/posts/1095203267169235

SUPerD
182 posts
15 Jun 2016 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Aahhhh, that's 'cause it's Connor B's board. M2O is coming up soon, so I would suggest that's what it's for,..

Imoutthere
181 posts
15 Jun 2016 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

There would be good odds behind that call I reckon. Nice one.

Interesting though, as in short board surfing the athlete would be contractually required have his sponsor's name on the board, as in Starboard, and not one thing to suggest that it was another brand's board.

Maybe there is simply more Aloha in the SUP race community than short board surfing.

SUPerD
182 posts
15 Jun 2016 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Imoutthere said..
There would be good odds behind that call I reckon. Nice one.

Interesting though, as in short board surfing the athlete would be contractually required have his sponsor's name on the board, as in Starboard, and not one thing to suggest that it was another brand's board.

Maybe there is simply more Aloha in the SUP race community than short board surfing.

Well, yes, stating the obvious. I didn't realize your question was rhetorical. That'll teach me to stand on my head when I'm posting here on the 'breeze.. Everything's upside down..

exiled
362 posts
15 Jun 2016 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

Oh, I'm sure there will be a big fat starboard tiki on it by the time race day rolls around.

Jeroensurf
866 posts
15 Jun 2016 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

In the past there have been some issues of Starboard showing Connor on a board in advertising suggesting it was a Starboard while it was a Jimmy Lewis custom. They probably learned from that and came up with this solution? Put a couple of big Tiki,s on it, write afterwards Starboard teamrider did well instead of a that he did well on a Starboard and everybody happy (and legal) .

supsurfers
QLD, 171 posts
15 Jun 2016 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

I think you will find SIC do it for many paddlers

Area10
1508 posts
15 Jun 2016 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

It's funny that somehow when Mark Raaphorst does the Starboard graphics, he manages to make them look a whole lot classier than when Starboard do them. JP too...

Chopsup
SA, 123 posts
15 Jun 2016 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

So I assume that , the other brands like starboard, jp and so on pay sic for their riders to ride sic?

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
15 Jun 2016 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chopsup said..
So I assume that , the other brands like starboard, jp and so on pay sic for their riders to ride sic?

I thought the brands with paddlers who need an unlimited to race just let them use a SIC for those racers as they don't have an unlimited in their range.
still better to have your sponsored paddler winning a massive race on a different branded unlimited than not racing at all I would think.
Has worked out pretty will for Connor and starboard and Travis and NSP.

The thing I don't get is why hasn't Starboard made a winning unlimited production board or even customs for their huge international team of paddlers.
They make every other board many that seem not needed in the range yet haven't done much with unlimiteds.

I can think of 6 or 7 guys in the Starboard team that compete every year in all the big hawaiian unlimited racers. thats more than any other team.

Area10
1508 posts
16 Jun 2016 1:21AM
Thumbs Up

Let's not forget that Mark Raaphorst, head honcho of SIC, used to shape for Starboard. He shaped their first DW board, called The Point. 14ft 8" or similar, and ruddered. So there's already a relationship there. It's a good deal for both parties - SIC increase their chances of their boards winning the race , and Starboard keep their team riders on the equipment most finely tuned to those particular waters, and get useful advertising. It's a pretty sensible arrangement IMO. If you are impressed by the board that Connor rides, and want one because of it, then just buy a SIC.

Maybe part of the business arrangement that Mark has with SB is that SB don't develop a UL downwind-specific board to compete directly with SICs.

rghdc
53 posts
16 Jun 2016 3:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said...
It's funny that somehow when Mark Raaphorst does the Starboard graphics, he manages to make them look a whole lot classier than when Starboard do them. JP too...

It's the canvas not the colors...

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"I see Starboard. #SIC" started by Imoutthere