Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Intro video of the new Sunova "Creek" model

Created by supthecreek > 9 months ago, 29 Jun 2017
SunnyBouy
473 posts
29 Apr 2019 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

Can I mention a friend of mine who could help you in the UK?
Julius at Standuppaddleboarder in StIves is the UK Sunova Rep, he's got a couple of Creeks and Flows, Steeze and folks order through him. He's a qualified instructor and more than happy to assist with tests and technique.
I get my boards through him and he's helped no end with my early technique failings BITD...
I've got a small Flow and small shroom so no good to help you but if local you can bounce around on the flow if you like...

colas
4986 posts
30 Apr 2019 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FRP said..
I do wonder if they are particularly suited to sup surfing.

C-Drive are very interesting for SUP surfing if you have problem with the row effect, typically when mastering new boards when you drop in board length. They provide tons of grip at paddling speeds, but stay nimble at high speed as their low area tip does not lock the board.

They are also interesting for slow waves, for added grip and acceleration on the bottom turns.

Tardy
4919 posts
30 Apr 2019 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AgBak said..
Hi All

I was hoping for a little help and advice please.

52 yo guy, 6'3", 95kg (weight only likely to go up) surfs mainly beach breaks in the UK. However I'm fortunate to be able to travel. In the last 4 years I've surfed in the Seychelles, Costa Rica, France, Morocco and WA. I'm currently using a Starboard 9'5" widepoint which has been a great board, but no good to travel with and now feels a little dated.

As far as skill level goes, looking at the posts on here, I'm a rank amature . I am a weekend warrior. However I can stand, paddle and catch waves in my own unique style (happy in OH surf). I'm no ballet dancer..... front foot planted on the stringer, back weighting the rail as needed (this takes a lot with the WP), being tall I can get on the tail by widening my stance.

I only really have the option of 1 board (to most of you on here...... I'm sorry!!) I'll be in WA January 2020, so thought I'd take the opportunity to buy my next sled.

So my questions are. Do I go for a Creek? Is it to focused to be my only board. I'd really like to, but have no way of riding 1 in the UK. If I do: 9'4" or 9'1" (I'm aware of the advice to go 1 size up). I'd also like your thoughts/experience of the 2 piece construction? The ability to take my own board and not rent would be fantastic.

thanks

Hi AG
the creek 8.10 is a pretty good all rounder .I'm 98 kgs &54
All though not the loosest board I've ridden ,it can handle all size waves ,where some boards are suited to just some size wave ...eg.
I found the flows better in medium to small waves .

the creeks are easier to use for there size due to the added nose width ...and I had no problem paddling it in all sorts of crap on the equator SUP trip I went on .
as mention earlier in this thread about buying one in december ,I have ordered a 8,10 ,which has been sold out in the shops in my area .
its been very popular ,especially the 8.10 .

they are a fast board .which is what I liked about them .

AgBak
24 posts
30 Apr 2019 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

Many thanks for the replies.

Tardy, interested to know your thoughts on the 2 piece construction now you've had your acid for a few months.

Stepping down to an 8`10" would be fantastic. But the reality is that UK wave conditions are far from ideal most of the times, wind, multiple swell directions and back wash are our norm.

I'm after the best compromise, having read and watched a lot, it seems like a larger creek can do most well.

Thanks again

Tardy
4919 posts
30 Apr 2019 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AgBak said..
Many thanks for the replies.

Tardy, interested to know your thoughts on the 2 piece construction now you've had your acid for a few months.

Stepping down to an 8`10" would be fantastic. But the reality is that UK wave conditions are far from ideal most of the times, wind, multiple swell directions and back wash are our norm.

I'm after the best compromise, having read and watched a lot, it seems like a larger creek can do most well.

Thanks again

it does make it a bit heavier ,but if your thinking of the bigger creek with extra foam it should be ok .
mine is a little sinky.compared to my other 130 litre board ,but construction is good and travelling is easy .

FRP
491 posts
2 May 2019 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

Hi there,

I got out on my 8'7" Creek this morning. A few nice pealing small waves. Amazing how many surfers were out. Should't these kids be in school or something? It was a bit too choppy for me and lots of current. Quite a few unforced errors but lots of fun, a beautiful day and this board fits in these waves nicely. Even made a few walks towards the nose.

Cheers

Bob

FRP
491 posts
3 May 2019 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

I just noticed a subtle difference in the tail of my 8'7" Creek and 8'10" Speeed. Interesting, the end of the tail on the Creek is just slightly pointier? Probably not terribly significant at my level of surfing.

Cheers

Bob

supthecreek
2583 posts
4 May 2019 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

AgBak
Thanks for the PM.... I have been super focused on a few projects since your post and haven't been on the Breeze for the last week.

I have answered your questions off line in a PM.

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
26 May 2019 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

A few pics of my Creek in Indonesia last week...

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
26 May 2019 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Wow.
Such a nice wave...

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
26 May 2019 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

Fully sick Casso - perfect rights.
Am lining up a trip to Indo soon - where is that gem?!?

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
26 May 2019 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MangoDingo said..

These were from a couple of different places but mostly The Pinnacles in the Telo Islands.

bobajob
QLD, 1533 posts
28 May 2019 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Geeze, shots 2 and 3 remind me of Lagundri, but that was years ago for me.

SunnyBouy
473 posts
28 May 2019 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Looks horrendous

supthecreek
2583 posts
28 May 2019 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Casso said..

Casso, that is more than impressive surfing my friend, big respect!

You have put a huge smile on my face, thank you

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
31 May 2019 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Casso said..

Is the guy in the third picture still alive ?

RbGar
90 posts
31 May 2019 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Old guys rule!

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
1 Jun 2019 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gboots said..

Is the guy in the third picture still alive ?

Ha ha. He actually gave me a bit of foam to hit that wouldn't have been there otherwise. So thanks for that GG.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
1 Jun 2019 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Casso said..

MangoDingo said..

These were from a couple of different places but mostly The Pinnacles in the Telo Islands.

Boy, do I have some mixed memories from that break. I ended up on the reef a couple of times with my leggie caught on the reef and each wave trying to drown me... I have some fond memories too, but the near-drowning memories tend to stick with you... (I have a board with extensive repairs as well; some of the foam was left on that reef and a fin poking through the wrong side of the board.) Definitely more intense than the Maldives...

GREAT surfing by the way. Really impressive!!

When do we see the videos?

AgBak
24 posts
7 Aug 2019 3:35AM
Thumbs Up

Hi All

Following some fantastic advice received on here, I've ordered the below. Not as colorful as some of the recent customs, but I have no doubt that the guys at the factory will make it look really special.

Unfortunately I won't get my hands on it until February when I'm next in WA......... It's going to be a hard wait.

Tardy
4919 posts
7 Aug 2019 3:49AM
Thumbs Up

nice one .. should be worth the wait .

FRP
491 posts
7 Aug 2019 4:13AM
Thumbs Up

Agbak

That board is beautiful! Love the grey deck with the silver/grey board with brushed carbon rails. Very subtle and stylish.

Cheers

Bob

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
7 Aug 2019 6:52AM
Thumbs Up

Yep - you're onto a winner there Aggy.
The 9'4 Silver Bak - look out for the big Gorilla in the line up goin' Bananas!!!
Yeeew!!!

supthecreek
2583 posts
7 Aug 2019 6:06AM
Thumbs Up

Nice call AgBak... I like that!
Silver BAK.... the transparent Grey to black is going to be stunning

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Intro video of the new Sunova "Creek" model" started by supthecreek