Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Jimmy Lewis 9'5" Striker - First Impressions

Created by Wodenau > 9 months ago, 8 Jan 2020
Wodenau
NSW, 67 posts
8 Jan 2020 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Jimmy Lewis 9'5" x 31" Striker (144 litres)

I'm a long time Starboard fan-boi so when my local Jimmy Lewis rep wanted me to try out this longboard-style SUP I was not so much sceptical as apprehensive.

First, a bit about me. I'm 61 years old, 6' tall and weigh 110kg. Overweight but relatively fit for my age. I've been surfing for 46 years on shortboards (single fin, twin fin and thrusters), longboards, and for the past 10 years, on SUPs. I transitioned to SUPs due to lower back problems. SUP riding has improved my core stability and reduced my back issues dramatically. I have SUP surfed Hawaii, New Guinea and Taiwan twice. I live on the NSW Central Coast so I mainly surf reef and beach breaks but I occasionally ride point breaks when I get the chance.

I own the following Starboard models: 8'2" x 32" Widepoint, 8'6" x 31.5" Hypernut, 9' x 33" Hero, and 10' x 34" Whopper. That pretty much covers everything. As you can tell, I'm a fan of width. After all, you spend most of your time standing around in the line-up waiting for waves so you may as well be stable and comfortable. I find it also keeps me more energetic because I'm not struggling to stay upright all the time.

So, the Jimmy Lewis?

I like it. It rides like a longboard so if you're transitioning from longboarding to SUPing you will make the change very easily. You can do all the longboard things: walk the board, drop knee turns, tail stalls, and nose riding is a breeze thanks to the full deck grip which is very easy on the feet. It surfs rail to rail easily and transitions without bogging down. Roundhouse cutbacks into the white water were not a problem.
The board is super light. Even lighter than my carbon Hypernut and Hero! It has the better hand grip. You know, the one where you get your fingers in and under for a comfortable grab. It has a five-fin setup but I only rode it as a thruster with the centre fin all the way back at the tail. I have no idea how it would perform as a quad. As a thruster I found the board was responsive and flickable, turned on a 5c piece, trimmed well and was quick in the pocket. Yaw (side to side movement as you paddle) was minimal and certainly way better than the wide body boards I usually ride. It was stable while hanging around waiting for a wave and quickly turned when you had to paddle for a set.

Now to be controversial.

While riding this board I thought this would be a viable board for the surfer who wants to prone paddle and SUP. It is light enough to rip as a prone surf longboard for the more mature surfer who wants paddling power and ease of transport to and from the water. Due to its light weight and the 5-fin setup it would be an ideal travelling board too.

Would I buy it? No.

Did you read about my quiver, above? I have invested a lot of money and time into a particular type of board. I was never a huge fan of longboarding. I grew up surfing in the 70s and 80s during the shortboard era and that style of top to bottom 'hot dogging' is the thing that still floats my boat.

Having said that, if YOU are into longboarding, or transitioning from longboarding, this will be as comfortable as a warm wee in a cold wetsuit.

justaddwater
NSW, 675 posts
8 Jan 2020 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Wodenau said..
Jimmy Lewis 9'5" x 31" Striker (144 litres)

I'm a long time Starboard fan-boi so when my local Jimmy Lewis rep wanted me to try out this longboard-style SUP I was not so much sceptical as apprehensive.

First, a bit about me. I'm 61 years old, 6' tall and weigh 110kg. Overweight but relatively fit for my age. I've been surfing for 46 years on shortboards (single fin, twin fin and thrusters), longboards, and for the past 10 years, on SUPs. I transitioned to SUPs due to lower back problems. SUP riding has improved my core stability and reduced my back issues dramatically. I have SUP surfed Hawaii, New Guinea and Taiwan twice. I live on the NSW Central Coast so I mainly surf reef and beach breaks but I occasionally ride point breaks when I get the chance.

I own the following Starboard models: 8'2" x 32" Widepoint, 8'6" x 31.5" Hypernut, 9' x 33" Hero, and 10' x 34" Whopper. That pretty much covers everything. As you can tell, I'm a fan of width. After all, you spend most of your time standing around in the line-up waiting for waves so you may as well be stable and comfortable. I find it also keeps me more energetic because I'm not struggling to stay upright all the time.

So, the Jimmy Lewis?

I like it. It rides like a longboard so if you're transitioning from longboarding to SUPing you will make the change very easily. You can do all the longboard things: walk the board, drop knee turns, tail stalls, and nose riding is a breeze thanks to the full deck grip which is very easy on the feet. It surfs rail to rail easily and transitions without bogging down. Roundhouse cutbacks into the white water were not a problem.
The board is super light. Even lighter than my carbon Hypernut and Hero! It has the better hand grip. You know, the one where you get your fingers in and under for a comfortable grab. It has a five-fin setup but I only rode it as a thruster with the centre fin all the way back at the tail. I have no idea how it would perform as a quad. As a thruster I found the board was responsive and flickable, turned on a 5c piece, trimmed well and was quick in the pocket. Yaw (side to side movement as you paddle) was minimal and certainly way better than the wide body boards I usually ride. It was stable while hanging around waiting for a wave and quickly turned when you had to paddle for a set.

Now to be controversial.

While riding this board I thought this would be a viable board for the surfer who wants to prone paddle and SUP. It is light enough to rip as a prone surf longboard for the more mature surfer who wants paddling power and ease of transport to and from the water. Due to its light weight and the 5-fin setup it would be an ideal travelling board too.

Would I buy it? No.

Did you read about my quiver, above? I have invested a lot of money and time into a particular type of board. I was never a huge fan of longboarding. I grew up surfing in the 70s and 80s during the shortboard era and that style of top to bottom 'hot dogging' is the thing that still floats my boat.

Having said that, if YOU are into longboarding, or transitioning from longboarding, this will be as comfortable as a warm wee in a cold wetsuit.

Wodenau,thanks for the comprehensive post,ihave to admit it is a little confusing for me.The board does seem to surf well from your comments,having had 4 strikers over a period of time,1 9-5/3 8-11 and surfed them all with jimmys 2+1 set ups like in your photos and they went as you described,but I never surfed them with the fin all the way back in the box for me it would be far to stiff,but you at 110 kg can get away with it.To the point,after reading posts from Rob/ jimmy/ au I am now surfing my current 8-11 124 liter as a genuine thruster,and the difference is amazing without over stepping the mark I suggest you give it a go,my only criticism of the strikers is some late flip in the nose would be appreciated,as they go so well performance wise,recovering from short board moves ,can be a challenge once you factor this in they really are an exceptional board.The reason I have had 4 strikers is very similar to your experience was only looking at them as longboard sups the thruster set up has changed my head space and style of riding them,but what I really love is you can noseride them as well for me a definite quiver killer.

Wodenau
NSW, 67 posts
9 Jan 2020 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

justaddwater you're right on the money with your comments! The board is very flat, hardly any rocker that I could see or feel. However, that made it glide onto waves really well. Reminded me of the 10' Bic I used to ride.
As for the centre fin all the way back - right again. Being 110 kegs I tend to throw the board around quite easily so if the centre fin is too far up the board the tail tends to slide too much. I purposely stiffen up the board by setting the fin way back. I can still slide the tail out if I want to but it gives me the drive and turning confidence I want in bigger surf.
Having said all that I really must say the size of the centre fin with this SUP is superb, making nose riding a simple matter but due to the slim profile it still allows you to turn with ease.
Glad to hear you like your Striker. I could easily see it in my quiver if I was more into the traditional longboarding style.

robg1703
NSW, 201 posts
10 Jan 2020 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,
The JL Striker is an amazing do-all board if "finned" correctly... It actually has quite a bit of rocker right through the board when you put it on it's side...I ride mine as a pure surfboard thruster with 4.5" fins....I do ride the 8'5" or 8'11" & the 9'5" is designed for a bigger guy but Jimmy decided to trim it's waistline & knock a few litres out of it...
The beauty of the rocker through the centre of the board is that is that it will nose-ride but surf off the tail from 1 foot to well over-head reef breaks....

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Jimmy Lewis 9'5" Striker - First Impressions" started by Wodenau