Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Jimmy Lewis Worldwide/performance upgrade w/volume drop

Created by castawaycove > 9 months ago, 2 Jun 2018
castawaycove
34 posts
2 Jun 2018 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

I'm in between sizes on which board to get between the 9'3"x32"x4.40 (155L) or the 9'9"x33"x4.5" (171L). I am 6'2 112L and currently surf a 9'4 x 33 Allwave at 174L and would like to get more performance out of the board and see the Worldwide as a logical next board. I am sure I can handle the volume of the 9'3 and think thats the right size but my gut is telling me the thinner rails and the 20L volume drop will be to much while the 9'9 gives me a similar outline and volume, less swing weight and still get the performance upgrade on turns I am looking for. I also see the added length of 9'9 allowing me to move up towards the nose more were the 9'3 with out sinking the narrow nose. Any thoughts on getting a more performance board with a large volume drop would be appreciated especially as it applies to the Worldwide would be appreciated.

Frothn
46 posts
2 Jun 2018 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Go the 9,3 which is still a large board. That has 43L on top of your weight. The 9,9 sounds the same as what you have already don't think it would make much difference. Go smaller will only take a few sessions to get used to it ????

adamj2281
81 posts
2 Jun 2018 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, the WW has loads more performance than the Allwave, I started on an AW, great all-around board to start on, but the WW is going to feel a lot more nimble underfoot, while still being really stable. I would mention that while I'm a lot smaller than you, 6'0" 74 kg or so, I jumped from the 9'2" Allwave to a 8'8" Naish Hokua X32 at 140L and then down to the 8'4" WW. I eventually moved to the SuperTech for thinner rails because I could go lower on volume.

I mention this because the WW is pretty stable, but if you are thinking about a mixed use board that you could walk the nose on, I'd look at the Striker.

3 Jun 2018 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

Or you could just go the NEW 8'6 Super Frank... Just as stable but without the corkiness...
Either the Wide at- 8'6 x 32"x 4.5" liters 141L
Or the Lean at- 8'6 x 30.5"x 4.4" liters 130L
I know the board is shorter but you'll be so surprised at the stability & performance...
checkout www.jimmylewisboards.com.au

brown
WA, 24 posts
17 Jun 2018 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Had the 8,9 ww and got told it was stable , i was coming from a 9,5 whopper and looking to down size but still wanted stability. Bought a ww and Gave it a good few hours in the water each time but the board wasn't for me, or any of the guys i sup with( all between 85 and 95 kgs). I would class myself as intermediate riding chest to just overhead waves. I guess you have to take into consideration corkieness factor of a board too as this could make or break you.
Corkiness , if only i had asked if the board was CORKY i could have saved myself some time,money and frustration.
I have learnt a valuable lesson that try before you buy and do your own research.

adamj2281
81 posts
17 Jun 2018 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
brown said..
Had the 8,9 ww and got told it was stable , i was coming from a 9,5 whopper and looking to down size but still wanted stability. Bought a ww and Gave it a good few hours in the water each time but the board wasn't for me, or any of the guys i sup with( all between 85 and 95 kgs). I would class myself as intermediate riding chest to just overhead waves. I guess you have to take into consideration corkieness factor of a board too as this could make or break you.
Corkiness , if only i had asked if the board was CORKY i could have saved myself some time,money and frustration.
I have learnt a valuable lesson that try before you buy and do your own research.

Yeah, so I've ridden the 8'5" WW, and I'm about to have a Super Frank soon, but considerably smaller, 7'6". Anyways, while it is true the rails are pretty thick on the WW and it can lend towards corkiness, it really doesn't affect stability if you are feet are in the middle of the board. The 8'5" is 30" wide or so, your feet should be no where near the rails or even the edge of the deckpad.

I liked the board, but sold it to just go down in volume in the rails, the corkiness was not an issue with stability.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Jimmy Lewis Worldwide/performance upgrade w/volume drop" started by castawaycove