Jp Surf Pro vs Sunova Flash vs Smik Spitfire

Created by freesailor > 9 months ago, 3 Jun 2018
freesailor
VIC, 112 posts
3 Jun 2018 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

Me: 74kg considering JP Surf Pro 8'1 or 7'6
Ability: intermediate to advanced, goofy foot
Current quiver: Sunova Flow 8'7 (feels too big in clean surf, top turn feels too much board, happy when bumpy and slow fat waves, hard to go vert) + HyperNut 7'2 ( happy in clean stuff, doesn't like bumpy, restricted when bigger, doesn't go vert)
Conditions: anything from beach to point to reef breaks 2 to 6ft
Question1 - want short board feel go vert, go JP Surf Pro or Sunova Flash or Smik Spitfire?
Question 2 - 100l or 90l at 74kg?
Appreciate PoV!
Aloha,
Fredosan

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
3 Jun 2018 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
freesailor said..
Current quiver: Sunova Flow 8'7 (feels too big in clean surf, top turn feels too much board, happy when bumpy and slow fat waves, hard to go vert) + HyperNut 7'2 ( happy in clean stuff, doesn't like bumpy, restricted when bigger, doesn't go vert)
Question1 - want short board feel go vert, go JP Surf Pro or Sunova Flash or Smik Spitfire?
Appreciate PoV!
Aloha,
Fredosan

Custom comes to mind :)
sunova or smik would be my pick. Smik has the edge for vert moves IMO.

thegreatsup
502 posts
3 Jun 2018 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

Great question! Was thinking the same.. seems a lot of people either like smik or sunova but not many both. I'm also 72kg but have been looking at the Atlantis mano 8'2. It's 105l but a cool looking board. The spitfire also looks and sounds awesome but none in nz yet to try

slugga
VIC, 172 posts
3 Jun 2018 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Hay mate I've had all 3 mind you the jp was bigger but I was on a flow 8'7 then a flash custom 8'8 and now I'm on on a smik hipster twin 8'3 custom and a smik spitfire 8'3 custom and boy I love the spitfire.. I've just got back from the Maldives and the spitfire was the stand out board .. they are super light super responsive and paddle unreal.. the hipster twin rocks but in bigger steeper waves the spitfire really stood out.. the flash are built well but found them sluggish in smaller waves. And spending 2 weeks riding nearly every sunova in the range on the trip I found the deck grip slippery compared to the smiks. The sunovas I was riding were bigger but I actually found the creek the most responsive of the lot .

Loz79
QLD, 459 posts
3 Jun 2018 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

At 74kg you can go sub 100litres quite comfortably.... I'm the same weight and have a 710 27.5 @ 92 and 76 26 @ 85.... 76 tough in the chop and 710 comfirtable in everything but 76 surfs so much better....

jarvisIan
39 posts
4 Jun 2018 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

I have both the JP 7'6" Pro and the 8'1" Pro, I'm 6' 83KG. I can't ride the 7'6" in anything but glass, my wife rides it a lot more than I do. The JP's are real top to bottom performance boards and are fast, at your weight, you could ride either....maybe both. One for clean conditions, one for choppy. Riding the same style board only makes you better as you know.
I've only ridden one Sunova and it was much too big for me, so I can't comment. The posted weights of the Sunova's and SMIK's aren't as light as a JP pro, or a similar sized carbon board, that makes a difference to me. Last year I rode two of the same model boards, one in carbon, one in wood and if they were both painted primer grey you wouldn't know they were the same model!
My 2 cents, find the right shape and size, get the lightest one.

Frothn
46 posts
5 Jun 2018 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

Slugga, what's the Litres on your custom spitfire ?? And your weight if you don't mind me asking

slugga
VIC, 172 posts
6 Jun 2018 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Frothn said..
Slugga, what's the Litres on your custom spitfire ?? And your weight if you don't mind me asking

So I'm 100 kg hence the name slugga???????? twin is 8'3 x30 116 I think and spitfire is 8'3 x29 x 111 liters super easy to paddle more stable than some bigger boards I've ridden and they rip ??

slugga
VIC, 172 posts
6 Jun 2018 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Frothn said..

So I'm 100 kg hence the name slugga???????? twin is 8'3 x30 116 I think and spitfire is 8'3 x29 x 111 liters super easy to paddle more stable than some bigger boards I've ridden and they rip ??

bomberdave
VIC, 396 posts
6 Jun 2018 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Slugga reading your Maldives's post you rave about the smiks responsiveness but finish by stating the creek is most responsive of lot !!! By lot do you mean sunova lot ?? Also what size creek did you test ???
Your in VIC and presume east coast so of all the boards what would you take to the west coast fat, weak, waste high wave ????

slugga
VIC, 172 posts
6 Jun 2018 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bomberdave said..
Slugga reading your Maldives's post you rave about the smiks responsiveness but finish by stating the creek is most responsive of lot !!! By lot do you mean sunova lot ?? Also what size creek did you test ???
Your in VIC and presume east coast so of all the boards what would you take to the west coast fat, weak, waste high wave ????

Yer of the flash creek and speed the creek was the most responsive but they were all 9 foot something ??? I think I rode a 8'10 and a 9'1 creek ?

Yer so I'm in rye but surf the west coast a lot possos,13th, spout creek, wye river etc I love my hipster twin over there it's got the volume up front so paddles well catches waves unreal but the tail is tight and the twin fin makes it fast loose and fun.. but I'm hopefully ordering a 10 foot style lord for the smaller days over there .. hope that helps

Traff
SA, 118 posts
7 Jun 2018 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
freesailor said..
Appreciate PoV!
Aloha,
Fredosan

Hey mate. I haven't used any of those boards... but I can highly recommend the Sunova Creek.
The Sunovas have excellent build quality. I have had a 7'10 Acid which was great but now have a 7'5 custom Creek which is better!
I am a tad lighter than you at 70kgs. My brother is 76kgs and he has a stock 7'10 Creek a loves it too.
I just put a few pics on the Creek thread if you want to see how it goes.

SRrat
WA, 240 posts
7 Jun 2018 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Traff said..

freesailor said..
Appreciate PoV!
Aloha,
Fredosan

Hey mate. I haven't used any of those boards... but I can highly recommend the Sunova Creek.
The Sunovas have excellent build quality. I have had a 7'10 Acid which was great but now have a 7'5 custom Creek which is better!
I am a tad lighter than you at 70kgs. My brother is 76kgs and he has a stock 7'10 Creek a loves it too.

What dimensions did you settle on for your custom creek?

Traff
SA, 118 posts
7 Jun 2018 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SRrat said..

Traff said..

freesailor said..
Appreciate PoV!
Aloha,
Fredosan

What dimensions did you settle on for your custom creek?

Dims are 7'5x26x3 7/8...79.9 ltr. I also had the nose of the board pulled in more than the stock model.

Frothn
46 posts
7 Jun 2018 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
slugga said..

Frothn said..

Cheers Slugga, nice work, next question how would you rate the hipster next to the spitfire ? Would you say the spitfire is more performance oriented top to bottom and hipster more drawn out turns ? Or am I completely wrong, I guess two different boards and litres. Mmm cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Jp Surf Pro vs Sunova Flash vs Smik Spitfire" started by freesailor