Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Laird 10'6" surfer issues.

Created by broadman > 9 months ago, 7 Feb 2016
broadman
156 posts
7 Feb 2016 6:27AM
Thumbs Up

I have had some issues with this board. Firstly though let me say I this board is unreal fun to ride. I wouldn't go and get another brand because of this. The tail has been splitting on the rail edge. I have just taken it in for the 4th time with the same problem and they seem to have finally worked out what's going on after seeing the same model coming in with the same problem. We ther it's just the 10' 6" I don't know but it seems to be with the bamboo top board.
Also seems to be the blue model. The guys fixing it are now filling the space between the outer shell and the core to make it solid around to the fin boxes. Hopefully this will be my last visit to them. I surf this board most of the time. Onshore slop, to real nice head high. Love every wave I get.

kitemantim
146 posts
7 Feb 2016 6:35AM
Thumbs Up

Same thing on my 10'6 blue bamboo surfer, had most the "air gap" in the tail done, Love the board but now have to check it after each outing, no issues in the last 4, may have fixed them all now. Very frustrating for such a unreal board and expensive.

surfershaneA
863 posts
7 Feb 2016 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, the construction of them is crap - comparable to boards you would never pay over $900 full retail price..

My Laird hybrid bamboo fell apart. I feel like a total d#ck for the positive reviews I gave this board. Had I have waited a few months, I would have told people to steer clear of the Lairds. Never thought Laird would be a carpet-bagger, but the quality of his boards is disgusting!

Say what you want about this post. Start trashing me and I will post comprehensive photos of what is left of my Laird!!!!!!

colas
4986 posts
7 Feb 2016 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe Laird suffered from being so late to the party wrt builiding in China? I guess most brands have now had time to sort out the bad factories from the good ones, and newcomers get the crappy ones...

Only speculation there, but if true, could be quite irconic for the sport pionneer...

PS: Seems he changed factories and even country... www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/LAIRD-EPS-Surfers/?page=7

cbigsup
454 posts
7 Feb 2016 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

Yep. Bought a Laird Firefish in glass - not bamboo not blue! More fragile and generally horrible than disposable contest prone boards from a long long time ago! Returned it to Team Amazonia after one week. Adios!

kitemantim
146 posts
7 Feb 2016 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

my big issue is Lard is walking away from the borads they provided which are not really fit for purpose

broadman
156 posts
7 Feb 2016 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Wow. More negativity than I expected. What a shame. When you probably make a lot of money from such a good shaper and designer. Why wouldn't you make a little less but still a shot load and get the boards made properly.ill keep this one but will be searching for another brand for my next long board sup. Any suggestions welcome.

Rossall
WA, 690 posts
7 Feb 2016 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Too be honest I see so many people ripping here in Perth on Laird Surfers 10 or 10'6" they love em. Yes probably need a bit of tlc but seek out a good second hand one and you are on a winner

surfershaneA
863 posts
8 Feb 2016 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

Yes, performance wise they are one of the best longboard type SUPs on the market. It is the inferior construction that is the issue.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
8 Feb 2016 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

Have to agree one on the best 10-6's I have seen and ridden but it is super fragile.

jimmijaz
WA, 97 posts
8 Feb 2016 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

Same with the hydrid surfer .the fin boxes were not put in properly .ive had so many problems with the cause they just crack and leak.pity cause I really like the shape

colas
4986 posts
8 Feb 2016 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
broadman said..
Any suggestions welcome.

Get a brand that really monitor the construction process, with the shaper often in the factory discussing with the workers, and shaping/glassing with them. Not just order boards on alibaba from generic factories. I understand Sunova, Starboard, Jimmy Lewis take a lot of care in the manufacturing (as Gong does), but of course, there may be many others.

A good sign of a quality brand is the ones that are proud of their factories, and do not hesitate to show pictures of their shapers/glassers/sanders, even if they are asian. Avoid the ones that try to hide where/how they are made.

stehar
NSW, 557 posts
8 Feb 2016 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

Have a Laird 10'6" * 32" surfer - ride it as a quad fin ( the ones that came with the board ) - absolutely brilliant in waves from ankle high to shoulder height
Tough as - run onto rocks, fallen off roof racks, no problems - did drive into the carport and crunched a finbox - but we have a great local board manufacturer who can and does fix any thing
Steve

GWatto
QLD, 387 posts
8 Feb 2016 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Stehar, buy yourself a lottery ticket

Tino42
85 posts
11 Feb 2016 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

broadman said..
Any suggestions welcome.

Get a brand that really monitor the construction process, with the shaper often in the factory discussing with the workers, and shaping/glassing with them. Not just order boards on alibaba from generic factories. I understand Sunova, Starboard, Jimmy Lewis take a lot of care in the manufacturing (as Gong does), but of course, there may be many others.

A good sign of a quality brand is the ones that are proud of their factories, and do not hesitate to show pictures of their shapers/glassers/sanders, even if they are asian. Avoid the ones that try to hide where/how they are made.

Have a look at Bert! Each board get the proper ingredients....
Oh and at least you don't get thirsty as opposed to "water"-sanding.

Tino

bobajob
QLD, 1533 posts
11 Feb 2016 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

I'll drink to that!

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
11 Feb 2016 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

I had one for about a year and had no issues with construction. Luck of the draw I guess. It's by far the best performing longboard sup I've ridden!! And I've ridden most. I only sold it cos I needed cash at the time. I'd gladly own another but in getting a custom 10'6" shaped as we speak. Super frothing!!!

JKimbler
317 posts
11 Feb 2016 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

I'll never buy a board with bamboo construction again, or any kind of wood really. Mine have all delaminated. Every one. Favorite was an F-one Anakao, that was a sick board and I wish it was still in my quiver. Had a good handful of wood construction Starboard sailboards (acid, evo, quad) and they all fell apart. I personally don't think wood belongs in our SUP's/Sailboards/Kiteboards. Just my experience.

JKimbler
317 posts
11 Feb 2016 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Gotta throw in there that yes, the Sunova's really do look solid. Much different than the pop out bamboo boards.

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
13 Feb 2016 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

I've got two surf tech Lairds 10'6 and 11 and they're as tough as nails . Hoping they get their construction issues sorted because when the boards I have die I'd get another .

colas
4986 posts
13 Feb 2016 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

I have just seen yesterday my first Laird Serrator carbon (a 8'10") on my spot, and it seemed like a decent shape, well balanced but with a huge nose rocker. The metal paint (silver) is classy. But is it worth more than twice the price of my full-carbon, PVC sandwich deck SUP?

fester
WA, 348 posts
13 Feb 2016 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..
I had one for about a year and had no issues with construction. Luck of the draw I guess. It's by far the best performing longboard sup I've ridden!! And I've ridden most. I only sold it cos I needed cash at the time. I'd gladly own another but in getting a custom 10'6" shaped as we speak. Super frothing!!!

I second that, don't bother with rest & stick with the best longboard shape on the market!

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
15 Feb 2016 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fester said...
Zeusman said..

I second that, don't bother with rest & stick with the best longboard shape on the market!

Totally!!! I actually had the chance to ride it back to back with a 10'6" Nalu that a mate owns. We basically had 4 waves on each board, swapping every 4 waves. All through the session he was shaking his head saying he couldn't believe how much better the Laird surfed. We both agreed that it had more drive, turned better and more precisely from the tail, nose riding was easier and was generally more fun to ride.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Laird 10'6" surfer issues." started by broadman