Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Looking into a custom flatwater board

Created by Kierannq > 9 months ago, 14 Sep 2015
Kierannq
QLD, 150 posts
14 Sep 2015 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,
I'm wanting to start researching / talking to people about getting a custom made flat water board that will be used purely for doing time trials @ 2km and 5km, we have a fresh water river that has no current.
My problem is I have never spoken to a custom shaper, except DC the other day about a repair to my Downwind board. I do intend on having a chat with him about a flat water board but I'd like to get some recommendations on some other shapers that I may be able to approach about going custom.

I'm approx 95kg (on the way down below that though), about 5'9 tall and im thinking something about 24 or 25" wide and 14ft long, budget will be between 2.3k and 3k.

I'm in Queensland so would prefer a shaper from there so I can visit and talk in person.
I'm not ruling not going custom, I'm currently having a look into a Lahui Kai 14x24 (same as what Kelly won on at the gorge).

Any suggestions

ChrisClarke1
VIC, 227 posts
14 Sep 2015 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Go straight to Simon at Deep Ocean Boards in Burleigh.

NSW, 54 posts
15 Sep 2015 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ChrisClarke1 said..

I'm not a sponsored rider like Chris from Deep. I've used DC's boards and he knows how to make both flatwater boards and down wind boards. I'd definitely look at Dale. Try the big brands as well. The Sprint is perfect for flatwater and second hand ones in good condition are around. That new Mistrallooks the goods as well. Demo before you buy and believe what feels good under your feet not what you read on the Breeze as gospel.

Kierannq
QLD, 150 posts
16 Sep 2015 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys - only 2 custom shapers in Qld? I'll touch base with both of them

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
16 Sep 2015 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Laguna Bay in Noosa -maybe not flat water boards though

Jeroensurf
866 posts
17 Sep 2015 3:17AM
Thumbs Up

What do you want to archieve with a custom instead of production?Like 22222222222222 wrote an 2th Hand Sprint or a JP14 FW for example seem exactly what you are looking for.

ChrisClarke1
VIC, 227 posts
17 Sep 2015 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
2222222 said..

ChrisClarke1 said..

I'm not a sponsored rider like Chris from Deep. I've used DC's boards and he knows how to make both flatwater boards and down wind boards. I'd definitely look at Dale. Try the big brands as well. The Sprint is perfect for flatwater and second hand ones in good condition are around. That new Mistrallooks the goods as well. Demo before you buy and believe what feels good under your feet not what you read on the Breeze as gospel.

Nothing against DC, I know he is also a great shaper. I was just giving Keiran the answer he was asking for, (what other custom shaper are there in Qld) and yes, lots of good second hand boards out there, but only a few great custom shapers.

Nozza
VIC, 2835 posts
17 Sep 2015 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

I have a custom JM 17'6" Flatwater board.
Bought second hand, it is brilliant.
No idea if they do 14' version, but it would be very good if they do.
No connection to JM or anything, but they seem to be local to you.

JM Paddleboards1/22 Traders Way
Currumbin Waters, 4223
Queensland, AUSTRALIAContact Factory Office: 0756070605EMAIL info@jmpaddleboards.com

Kierannq
QLD, 150 posts
18 Sep 2015 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jeroensurf said...
What do you want to archieve with a custom instead of production?Like 22222222222222 wrote an 2th Hand Sprint or a JP14 FW for example seem exactly what you are looking for.

To be completly honest im not 100% sure, im reltively new to SUP, having only had my own boards for 1 year apprpox. Like i said i haven't ruled out going with production boards but i'd just like to talk to some custom shapers and see what they can offer me, i have a specific purpose of 2km and 5km TT only, no other purpose for this board. Ill see where my enquiries take me whether thats custom or production, im open minded.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
18 Sep 2015 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

I'd try as many as you can before you buy. Production and custom. That way you know what suits your ability and ambition. Mind you that can make decisions difficult. We've got a guy paddling on Narrabeen lake who takes half the season to decide which board he's going to buy.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Looking into a custom flatwater board" started by Kierannq