Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Mctavish 10'

Created by Tyelino > 9 months ago, 28 Feb 2011
Tyelino
2 posts
28 Feb 2011 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with the McTavish 10' SUP?
What is the quality of McTavish boards like?

Thanks

Tye

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
28 Feb 2011 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Tyelino and as they say in the classics welcome to the Seabreeze Forum. I've had a McTavish 9'6" for around a year and have been very happy with it. I am around the 100 Kg mark and 185 cm so I'm more like front rower than fly half but have found it a very versatile board. I've done a lot of flatwater paddling on it and it has amazing glide for a board that size. My one warning is that they (10 ft included) are by all accounts at the tippier end of the scale. My first venture into the surf was a nightmare as I had set up as a Quad with these tiny 120mm FCS side fins. At my size I had a great deal of trouble standing on it let alone surf it. It was a pretty bumpy day and about three different types of swell running. I bit the bullet and bought a Fluidrive 9" centre fin. Tried it in the same conditions and the problem was solved. I now run it as five fin setup as the side fins are next to negligible as far as stability is concerned. The result is a very maneuverable board that is great from anything 2ft up to at least 6ft. I haven't taken it out in anything larger as I don't need to prove anything to anyone at 53 years old. I think fin selection is probably the most important thing if you are going to purchase the McTav. It all depends on if you want to compete or surf the board to your capabilities. Cheers Leroy.

surfbabysurf
NSW, 36 posts
8 Mar 2011 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

I demo'd the 10ftMcTavish a few times, but ended up buying a 10 x 32 simon as I thought it would go better in the waves.
I did like the feel in the flat water though

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Mctavish 10'" started by Tyelino