Created by ninjatuna > 9 months ago, 9 Apr 2019
Feps
NSW, 108 posts
2 Mar 2020 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said..

Feps said..
Thanks cbigsup, brenno and nugdam...i know there are lots of posts on cdrives, but keen to hear any more feedback with these fins on the hipster. Absolutely love the way the original smik Twinnies feel (esp vert and floaters). Quobba fins on the hipster?

Mate, the Smiks are the sh1t. Where I am for the most there just isn't the power in the waves to take advantage of them. I use them in the big juice. APs for the mid range, C Drives for all rounders.

Thanks mate...just ordered cdrives Twinnies with stabiliser....and my ribs to heal after taking out my fin

Feps
NSW, 108 posts
5 Mar 2020 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nugdam said..

Feps said..
Can anyone comment in the AP 5.79 twin fins v's the original Hipster fins. Just snapped one of the side fins this morning and looking for a replacement.
Best board I have ridden yet

Try some c drive twins mate. Alot if speed and drive with them.

Hi Brenno, my cdrives have just arrived. Do use an adapter for the stabiliser? The cdrive stabiliser I have is fcs1. If so, do you the size etc needed.

many thanks mate

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
5 Mar 2020 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Feps said..

Nugdam said..

Feps said..
Can anyone comment in the AP 5.79 twin fins v's the original Hipster fins. Just snapped one of the side fins this morning and looking for a replacement.

Hi Brenno, my cdrives have just arrived. Do use an adapter for the stabiliser? The cdrive stabiliser I have is fcs1. If so, do you the size etc needed.

many thanks mate

I bought the fcs to longboard fin adaptor from surf fx. Works a treat

Feps
NSW, 108 posts
5 Mar 2020 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nugdam said..

Feps said..

Nugdam said..

Feps said..

many thanks mate

Thanks Nugdam, was just wondering if there was a particular size. Righto, off to buy an adapter...Thanks again:)

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
5 Mar 2020 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Feps said..

Nugdam said..

Feps said..

Nugdam said..

Feps said..

many thanks mate

Thanks Nugdam, was just wondering if there was a particular size. Righto, off to buy an adapter...Thanks again:)

As far a I'm aware its one size fits all. The smiks box just isn't as long as a traditional longboard board box.

Bighugg
482 posts
5 Mar 2020 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

With the adapter , you can put it in with bolt facing to the front or rear to give yourself max adjustments. Enjoy

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
5 Mar 2020 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bighugg said..
With the adapter , you can put it in with bolt facing to the front or rear to give yourself max adjustments. Enjoy

I've never bloody thought about that. I will have to swing it around

lohit
TAS, 17 posts
17 Mar 2020 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys, I recently got a 8'6" Hipster & am loving it. Only had about 10 sessions on it so far, but feel the stock fins work pretty well. However I'm always after a bit more performance & have been tossing up between the AP 5.59"s or the C Drives. Any thoughts/ comments much appreciated. I tend to use the board in all conditions up to about head high & am probably more of a cruiser, rather than cranking turns. Thanks.

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
17 Mar 2020 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lohit said..
Hi Guys, I recently got a 8'6" Hipster & am loving it. Only had about 10 sessions on it so far, but feel the stock fins work pretty well. However I'm always after a bit more performance & have been tossing up between the AP 5.59"s or the C Drives. Any thoughts/ comments much appreciated. I tend to use the board in all conditions up to about head high & am probably more of a cruiser, rather than cranking turns. Thanks.

It depends how you like to surf I guess. I have not tried the APs but the C drives make your turns super drivey with a fair chunk of speed. I can't seem to slide the board like I can on the stock fins ( which is great fun on a solid bottom turn ) Instead the C drives just change direction and power through.

The stock fins are great on top turns as well where the C drives just kind of bite and go where you want them to. I was using the C drives for aged and had a ball but recently swap back to the stock fins and it was a fun change. Worth having two sets for sure.

colas
4986 posts
17 Mar 2020 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lohit said..
am probably more of a cruiser, rather than cranking turns. Thanks.

This means you will build speed by the natural glide of the board rather than pumping your turns. I then would recommend two approches:
- use as small fins as possible, to reduce drag, since you do not need a lot of grip to push on.
- if you want to noseride, use big fins but reduce their numbers: go single fin of twins. You will get the hold without the drag

cbigsup
454 posts
18 Mar 2020 2:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

lohit said..
am probably more of a cruiser, rather than cranking turns. Thanks.

This means you will build speed by the natural glide of the board rather than pumping your turns. I then would recommend two approches:
- use as small fins as possible, to reduce drag, since you do not need a lot of grip to push on.
- if you want to noseride, use big fins but reduce their numbers: go single fin of twins. You will get the hold without the drag

The center box on SMIK Hip Twins will NOT accept a longboard center fun.

Have used the stockers, C-drive, A-P 5.79, and some Captain Fin Machado that Rob used in his twins.

The type of wave you usually ride can make a big difference.

Also where you stand will affect what seems the best.

I tried the C-drives and in the hollower waves of New England they performed fairly well.

Have moved and am surfing different waves. The AP in cork were a better choice. Especially for carving on open faces.

My current fave is the Machados. Excellent acceleration off the bottom and speed on the high line which is a great feature of the Hip Twins.

Pic of Machado.

lohit
TAS, 17 posts
18 Mar 2020 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

That's all great. A bit to mull over. Also thinking of a set of the 3d Akila Aipa twins (dimple tech?) with the Smik nubster, or something of Tyler Warrens, Capt fin co. I'll report back

cbigsup
454 posts
18 Mar 2020 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

Google Rob Machado Twin Fin Review and get this

Cripes! Olde fahrte no inet skillz. But the interview is awesome..

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"My new Smik Hipster Twin" started by ninjatuna