Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

NEW Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 2

Created by Jimmy Lewis Boards > 9 months ago, 9 Sep 2018
9 Sep 2018 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

I just unwrapped the first delivery of the NEW 14'x 25" Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder Mark2 & as always it is one beautifully finished & looking board.... It feels lighter & stiffer with a slightly recessed deck & a new concave running two thirds of the way through the bottom of the board & out through the tail....
The Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 2 review is my thoughts on the second revision of this race and downwind board by the legendary Maui shaper.
I had a bit to do with the first version of the Sidewinder back in 2016 and it proved to be a serious contender when both the UK 12'6 and 14 classes were won using the Sidewinder. That said we got lots of feedback from riders everywhere and took that on board. The deck area has been lowered bringing the rider closer to the water level, but it hasn't gone as low as a dugout. It's much more like the SIC RS that is a proven race machine in the big league. By lowering the deck area, that board also has small elevated side walls that have given the board a much stiffer feel and reduced lengthways flex so all the paddle effort is being used. The nose area has a newly shaped bow that still has the recognisable bump, but also utilises a chine in the underside and topside that's increased its piercing abilities when head on into chop. That said it definitely prefers to have the very tip of the nose just slightly elevated. Stepping back used to see the tail sink for heavier paddlers, but Jimmy has now increased volume and so the tail stays well balanced and doesn't get dragged down so resistance is decreased.
Jimmy has always had a knack for making boards that perform and not punish. The team got together and decided upon the sizes that would best cover the range of paddlers using this type of board....14?29: the board shaped for heavyweight paddlers 110kg+. To paddle at their best.....14?27 & 14x25: the board you want to ride in open ocean conditions & the most suitable board for wavy and choppy conditions....
The board is only 5inches thick with a tapering tail and some pretty volumous side rails that really add to the stability.
The ride- Riding this board in the rougher water was a total joy as it was super balanced and delivered great glide when on a bump as well as surfing.
All in all this board is what you'd expect from a great shaper who has taken the feedback and reworked the mould, but it also goes to show how good the first board was. As always with all Jimmy Lewis boards and the Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder, you get an amazing build quality that is testament to this long relationship with the Kinetic factory. It really is super strong and light which many find hard to combine so this board can be seen as a long term investment for sure....

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
10 Sep 2018 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

nice board JL OZ and looking forward to paddle the board

DaveSandan
VIC, 1364 posts
10 Sep 2018 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

I am thinking of selling my Glide for something lighter but only want to buy once so construction is important and I like the look of JL work, can you PM me so I can do my sums?

Area10
1508 posts
10 Sep 2018 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

It's a nice board -feels light and reactive on the water. Looks very well made - my Sidewinder V1 took a lot of abuse and yet was hardly marked.

Is the 2029 Sidewinder V2 full PVC sandwich? Any other details of the materials used - what are we getting for our cash?

10 Sep 2018 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

HI Area10, same full PVC carbon sandwich construction but Kinetic have managed to get the board even lighter again from last years without sacrificing any strength..

LucBenac
431 posts
10 Sep 2018 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

Very nice. hope to see one around here.

Area10
1508 posts
11 Sep 2018 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jimmy Lewis Boards said..
HI Area10, same full PVC carbon sandwich construction but Kinetic have managed to get the board even lighter again from last years without sacrificing any strength..

Wow - the Sidewinder V1 was already the lightest 14ft I've ever owned - and I've owned a lot of them (and currently own 7).

LucBenac
431 posts
11 Sep 2018 1:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Naish should move the production of the Maliko to Kinetic.....!!!

Area10
1508 posts
11 Sep 2018 3:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LucBenac said..

Yes, they should. But I think it also takes a very regular presence at a factory to ensure consistent quality. Hopefully soon there will be more factories (China?) producing quality boards to challenge Cobra. I'm not sure that the dominance of that one massive factory has done consumers a favour.

I recently heard an account of a European brand owner who went over to the factory in China who is producing his boards, and actually smashed up substandard boards right in front of the workers to illustrate that he wouldn't take any crap. This is a secondhand account, so make of it what you will. But it's an interesting one.

LucBenac
431 posts
11 Sep 2018 5:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..

LucBenac said..

Yes, they should. But I think it also takes a very regular presence at a factory to ensure consistent quality. Hopefully soon there will be more factories (China?) producing quality boards to challenge Cobra. I'm not sure that the dominance of that one massive factory has done consumers a favour.

I recently heard an account of a European brand owner who went over to the factory in China who is producing his boards, and actually smashed up substandard boards right in front of the workers to illustrate that he wouldn't take any crap. This is a secondhand account, so make of it what you will. But it's an interesting one.

They still charged him for the boards!!!!!

DaveSandan
VIC, 1364 posts
15 Sep 2018 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Just ordered my with Rob at Jimmy Lewis, looking forward to seeing one in the flesh, pics to follow next week.

20 Sep 2018 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

Some fresh photos of the New Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 2...

LucBenac
431 posts
20 Sep 2018 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Orange! Excellent choice. I do "need" another orange board in my quiver....

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"NEW Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 2" started by Jimmy Lewis Boards