Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Naish Javelin Carbon 2017, US BOX or US SURF BOX?

Created by Carvers > 9 months ago, 16 Feb 2017
Carvers
132 posts
16 Feb 2017 2:19AM
Thumbs Up

Noticed that the standard fin which was with the board was very tough to get in. I think the board has a US SURF Box instead of the US Box. Is that right?

Coldwater
10 posts
16 Feb 2017 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

Here's the reply I got from Naish: It is a US base fin box, any fin should fit but some may require a little adjustment as with any fin.

I ordered the Naish Maliko, which should arrive in early April.

baddog
256 posts
17 Feb 2017 12:39AM
Thumbs Up

Rehashed from my SUZ post:

The Bahne Box aka the Longboard box / Fins Unlimited / Futures / American / US Surf / etc. is the STANDARD for longboards, surfboards, the major fin brands like FCS and Futures and most non-windsurfing SUP brands like Bark, SIC, Sunova etc.

The US Box is a windsurfing box which I believe was originally the Chinook Box and/or A Box and used by the majors; all of whom originated from windsurfing brands; Starboard, Naish, Fanatic, etc. Why it's US Box now and fins can be list as US Box and/or A Box is some irrelevant windsurfing mystery.

The Bahne Box is thinner and shallower vs the US Box which is deeper and wider.

The Bahne Box fin has a 9mm base width that is shallower and has a higher pin position.

The US Box fin has a 9.2mm base width that is deeper with a tab and has a lower pin position.

Although Standard Bahne Box fins fit into an US Box, they fit too low in the box and are generally loose and wiggly around. You get lucky occasionally, but there are a few sure fire fins that always fit tight; the FCS IIs!

No reason ever to fit a US Box fin into a Bahne Box. For a proper fit, the base needs to be ground down and the pin relocated. Besides that, the G10 fins are heavy, overkill for SUP speeds, over priced and designed mostly off old windsurfing fins.

pacs1969
5 posts
23 Mar 2017 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
baddog said..
Rehashed from my SUZ post:

The Bahne Box aka the Longboard box / Fins Unlimited / Futures / American / US Surf / etc. is the STANDARD for longboards, surfboards, the major fin brands like FCS and Futures and most non-windsurfing SUP brands like Bark, SIC, Sunova etc.

The US Box is a windsurfing box which I believe was originally the Chinook Box and/or A Box and used by the majors; all of whom originated from windsurfing brands; Starboard, Naish, Fanatic, etc. Why it's US Box now and fins can be list as US Box and/or A Box is some irrelevant windsurfing mystery.

The Bahne Box is thinner and shallower vs the US Box which is deeper and wider.

The Bahne Box fin has a 9mm base width that is shallower and has a higher pin position.

The US Box fin has a 9.2mm base width that is deeper with a tab and has a lower pin position.

Although Standard Bahne Box fins fit into an US Box, they fit too low in the box and are generally loose and wiggly around. You get lucky occasionally, but there are a few sure fire fins that always fit tight; the FCS IIs!

No reason ever to fit a US Box fin into a Bahne Box. For a proper fit, the base needs to be ground down and the pin relocated. Besides that, the G10 fins are heavy, overkill for SUP speeds, over priced and designed mostly off old windsurfing fins.

Hi all

Very interesting topic. Does anybody have the complete specs with detailed sizes for both fin bases?

Regards

Paco

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Naish Javelin Carbon 2017, US BOX or US SURF BOX?" started by Carvers