Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Naish Maliko 2020 finally gets some waves

Created by burchas > 9 months ago, 14 Apr 2020
burchas
335 posts
14 Apr 2020 7:02AM
Thumbs Up

After much neglect the Naish Maliko finally gets some attention and it's eager to perform

DavidJohn
VIC, 17417 posts
15 Apr 2020 4:26AM
Thumbs Up

It looks like an awesome board..

dk78
141 posts
15 Apr 2020 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

Nice run!

burchas
335 posts
15 Apr 2020 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Guys. Love the board. Works much better for me than previous models. Especially on the smaller bumps.

LucBenac
432 posts
16 Apr 2020 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
burchas said..
Thanks Guys. Love the board. Works much better for me than previous models. Especially on the smaller bumps.

That is a strong statement as you already loved the previous Maliko.
What makes teh difference?
A bit lighther (the 2018 is 28lbs)?
A bit mor evolume on the tail?

I was not too keen on it after seing the damages on yours.
It might be a moot point anyway as nobody is bringing Naish here this year so an upgrade would be unlikely.

burchas
335 posts
16 Apr 2020 6:58AM
Thumbs Up

I think it's a combination of things that makes the board stand-out from previous models. It looks like Naish finally solved the boards split personality by introducing the new Javelin and make this board come to its own as a downwind/surf racer rather than the all around racer it used to be.

As such, the more suitable outline coming to a round pintail along with the refined rails makes the board more maneuverable. In addition, the board is lighter and stiffer than previous models. That along with the higher volume makes the board much more responsive on small bumps.

Added nose rocker/ volume makes the board behave better in the bumps, it pops out quicker than previous models thus missing fewer connection due to slow downs. The new nose and the added stiffness makes this board much better upwind as well.

It's the combination of all these things that made me pull the trigger on one.

As for the construction, to be fair, I'm very hard on equipment. This board held pretty well so far. It get hit by my paddle a lot. Carrying it after downwind sessions introduced its nose and tail to the ground few times without dings.

Outside this kamikaze attempt on a beach break that landed me flat on the nose paddle first, the board is ok. I'm not saying it's a bomb proof construction like other boards on the market but under normal usage I think it will hold just fine.

LucBenac
432 posts
16 Apr 2020 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

Well I am playing at, "if I had some $4,500 CAD to burn......"
I like the sound of what you said on the new Maliko.
That said I am hoping to soon try a Sunova Torpedo 14x25.5 and that board wins on aestetics big time.....our Sunova distributor just brought in here fro a friend of mine that is a racer and part of teh Sunova team so I stand a good chance to try it (COVID aside...).

burchas
335 posts
16 Apr 2020 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LucBenac said..
That said I am hoping to soon try a Sunova Torpedo 14x25.5 and that board wins on aestetics big time.....our Sunova distributor just brought in here fro a friend of mine that is a racer and part of teh Sunova team so I stand a good chance to try it (COVID aside...).

Aesthetics aside, I'm convinced the Maliko would be a better performer for the use case I described. Based on what I've seen on the Torpedo it's a "stiff" surfer and you'd really have to work the tail hard to get it do what you want. I'm sure it will be pleasing to paddle and nice to look at but that's not enough. I'd rather spend under 3000 CAD for a Sunova Driftwood. It will be even better to look at and it's a board the knows what it wants to do

LucBenac
432 posts
16 Apr 2020 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
burchas said..

LucBenac said..

Aesthetics aside, I'm convinced the Maliko would be a better performer for the use case I described. Based on what I've seen on the Torpedo it's a "stiff" surfer and you'd really have to work the tail hard to get it do what you want. I'm sure it will be pleasing to paddle and nice to look at but that's not enough. I'd rather spend under 3000 CAD for a Sunova Driftwood. It will be even better to look at and it's a board the knows what it wants to do

Did I just heard under CAD 3,000? Including shipping?

burchas
335 posts
16 Apr 2020 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LucBenac said..

burchas said..

LucBenac said..

Yup. Comes in a container to the US and will be delivered to my doorstep.

LucBenac
432 posts
16 Apr 2020 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
burchas said..

LucBenac said..

burchas said..

LucBenac said..

Let's see where can I find CAD3,000.......

ANd you have said Canadian Dollar not US Dollar, right!

burchas
335 posts
16 Apr 2020 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LucBenac said..

burchas said..

LucBenac said..

burchas said..

LucBenac said..

Let's see where can I find CAD3,000.......

ANd you have said Canadian Dollar not US Dollar, right!

Yes I did.

LucBenac
432 posts
16 Apr 2020 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

Yes I checked the web page and the Search is AUD 2,500 so about CAD 2,200 that leaves some room for custom and shipping if local distributor OK to have in his container.....
I was not planning to sale my 2018 Maliko ever but now I am starting to think......

LucBenac
432 posts
19 Apr 2020 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Finally seen the Torpedo in the flesh.
Hard rails all the way to about two~three feet from the nose.
Spine on the deck subsiding back of the standing area which likely gives a lot of stifness.
Light.

Area10
1508 posts
17 May 2020 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

How much of a priority is it to you that a board is light, if it's primarily for downwinding? I'd prioritise durability and strength over weight, within reason. Sometimes it's not so great if a board will blow away easily on a beach or when you wipe out, and a heavier board seems to maintain its momentum and give a smoother ride in a strong blow.

LucBenac
432 posts
17 May 2020 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
How much of a priority is it to you that a board is light, if it's primarily for downwinding? I'd prioritise durability and strength over weight, within reason. Sometimes it's not so great if a board will blow away easily on a beach or when you wipe out, and a heavier board seems to maintain its momentum and give a smoother ride in a strong blow.

For downwinding only, I prefer a little bit of heft, it adds to control and sometime speed, time on the bump. For an all around use including flat water and downbreezing, I prefer to stay under the 26 lbs.
I have the 2018 Maliko at 29 lbs - solid construction
I have the 2014 Javelin LE at 23 lbs - eggshell construction
If either of these had been fused into a solid construction at 25 lbs, I would only have one of these.
Then I could if needed just add a very specialized downwind board for days over 25 knots rather than having two all around boards with just a small advantage at each end of the range.

burchas
335 posts
19 May 2020 4:39AM
Thumbs Up

For downbreezing, light is certainly a boon. The 2020 Maliko is a lot lighter and more buoyant than previous model. Much better downbreezing machine. Especially if you're doing upwind/downwind sessions.

LucBenac
432 posts
19 May 2020 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
burchas said..
For downbreezing, light is certainly a boon. The 2020 Maliko is a lot lighter and more buoyant than previous model. Much better downbreezing machine. Especially if you're doing upwind/downwind sessions.

Regretfully the 2020 Maliko is not distributed in Canada. So if looking at a brand new board listed at USD 2,800 plus shipping and customs fees would be likley something like USD 3,200 before tax. That is about CAD 4,500 before tax. the Sunova is CAD 4,000. So if buying a brand new board between upgrading my Maliko with a new model with a so-so construction, design scheme - me no like - and shipping risk.....my money would go to the Sunova thta I can pick-up on my way from work. Mr. Naish, great designs but get your board manufactured in the right factory and distributed in Canada please.

burchas
335 posts
19 May 2020 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LucBenac said..
burchas said..

Regretfully the 2020 Maliko is not distributed in Canada. So if looking at a brand new board listed at USD 2,800 plus shipping and customs fees would be likley something like USD 3,200 before tax. That is about CAD 4,500 before tax. the Sunova is CAD 4,000. So if buying a brand new board between upgrading my Maliko with a new model with a so-so construction, design scheme - me no like - and shipping risk.....my money would go to the Sunova thta I can pick-up on my way from work. Mr. Naish, great designs but get your board manufactured in the right factory and distributed in Canada please.

You are right about that. The first Maliko 2020 I got had a gash on the nose, deck side. Luckily I insisted to keep the delivery driver around until I was done inspecting the board. I sent the board right where it came from. Whenever I can, I prefer personal pickup. It seems that the last mile delivery service has the highest rate of damages. Never had issues with terminal pickups.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Naish Maliko 2020 finally gets some waves" started by burchas