Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Naish Nalu 11' or 11'4"

Created by LucBenac > 9 months ago, 28 Dec 2018
Tardy
4919 posts
1 Jan 2019 3:14AM
Thumbs Up

Looks ok...it will do the job ...11 left 11-4 right ..

LucBenac
431 posts
1 Jan 2019 6:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
Looks ok...it will do the job ...11 left 11-4 right ..

Nice looking boards. Funny how just 1" can make a difference in the shape outline. If I ever become good at surfing then I might add a 10'6" but that will be in years if ever.....

JonathanC
VIC, 1020 posts
1 Jan 2019 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LucBenac said..

Area10 said..
Looks good. But you shouldn't be paying much for a board that old, so don't get tempted to pay over the odds for it. But if it's going cheap then it will certainly work well in the kinds of waves that are showing in that Christmas pic you posted. Those older Naishes were a bit heavy, but I think they were more durable than many of the recent ones, especially the paint job. Check carefully round the handle.

Thanks for the tip. I will. My friend weighted it a 22 lbs so I am assuming that it has not taken any water as it looks like the posted weight. The idea there is that we trade boards. I always like that better than just buying as we can all share and try different boards that way. Otherwise there was a 2018 Nalu 11" brand new. A beauty but I do not have the cash for it unless selling the Vapor fro cash and adding some :-)

Nice dog!

LucBenac
431 posts
1 Jan 2019 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JonathanC said..

LucBenac said..

Area10 said..
Looks good. But you shouldn't be paying much for a board that old, so don't get tempted to pay over the odds for it. But if it's going cheap then it will certainly work well in the kinds of waves that are showing in that Christmas pic you posted. Those older Naishes were a bit heavy, but I think they were more durable than many of the recent ones, especially the paint job. Check carefully round the handle.

Thanks for the tip. I will. My friend weighted it a 22 lbs so I am assuming that it has not taken any water as it looks like the posted weight. The idea there is that we trade boards. I always like that better than just buying as we can all share and try different boards that way. Otherwise there was a 2018 Nalu 11" brand new. A beauty but I do not have the cash for it unless selling the Vapor fro cash and adding some :-)

Nice dog!

Yes i was even more tempted by the puppy then by the board but you don't take another guy dog......

Tardy
4919 posts
1 Jan 2019 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

yep i sold my 11' and brought a 10,6 ,mainly cause i was surfing it more..
kept the 11,4 i like my dog

Area10
1508 posts
1 Jan 2019 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Btw, for future reference, the new SIC Saber looks like it might be a good "tiny and mushy" wave board, fully in the spirit of the surf cruiser style that Colas described. It comes in 10-6 and 11-6 lengths, both 30" wide. Nice to see a new entry to this category.

LucBenac
431 posts
2 Jan 2019 12:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
Btw, for future reference, the new SIC Saber looks like it might be a good "tiny and mushy" wave board, fully in the spirit of the surf cruiser style that Colas described. It comes in 10-6 and 11-6 lengths, both 30" wide. Nice to see a new entry to this category.

It even has the Hawaiian touch :-)
SIC has a pretty nice and complete line of sup lately (if somewhat on the high volume side)

Area10
1508 posts
2 Jan 2019 1:10AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, oak laminate on that Saber, apparently. I'm not used to seeing oak being used in this way. I wonder why it's not the pine, bamboo etc that are more commonly used.

Wood sandwich top and bottom plus innegra right round the rails sounds like a decent construction, if the price is right, I guess, even if a full PVC sandwich would be better. And resin tint rather than paint would be better still... no chips... but sadly no production board (that I know of) is made with resin tint: easier to cover a multitude of construction shortcomings by just spraying it with a load of paint...

LucBenac
431 posts
2 Jan 2019 1:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
And resin tint rather than paint would be better still... no chips... but sadly no production board (that I know of) is made with resin tint: easier to cover a multitude of construction shortcomings by just spraying it with a load of paint...

No paint, no problem :-) I could relate to that on the Bark Vapor (or Downwinder) - great board but for the paint.

cbigsup
454 posts
2 Jan 2019 3:37AM
Thumbs Up

Yep. 2015 Starby Race fragile, nervous, and chippy. In ice hockey chippy not necessarily bad, but on crazy expensive SUPS??

My 2016 JP was worse. Didn't think that was possible, but it was. And really unstable.

An elite guy borrowed it for five minutes and informed me bad fast and wicked tippy!

Why the Cobra dudes couldn't figure paint out is still a mystery!

Area10
1508 posts
2 Jan 2019 3:48AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I've had a Naish and a Fanatic, both Cobra boards and made in different years, that chip if you even look at them. Honestly, there's no excuse: this is their business. If I did my job as badly as they are doing theirs, I'd be fired...

In contrast, my custom boards are resin tint and never chip: no rail tape or any of that nonsense and yet they still look exactly the same as the day I got them. *That's* how you make boards, Cobra.

colas
4986 posts
2 Jan 2019 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
And resin tint rather than paint would be better still... no chips...

You can have paints that will not chip easily. I guess Cobra can do it too, but some brands may not want to give them the few dollars more to do it.

Anyways, paint chips are not really bothersome if the rails are plain colors (no fancy graphics) with a well-defined pantone/RAL tint that does not fade in the sun. This way you can use a car paint touch pen.

southseas
QLD, 23 posts
2 Jan 2019 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

At 95kg I surf an 11', and it does have a bit more rocker than the 10'6 or 11'4, allowing more turning and steeper wave, but if I were 77kg I'd be getting a 10'6. And I would try to get last years pine model. I think that it has less spring than bamboo.

Area10
1508 posts
12 Jan 2019 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southseas said..
At 95kg I surf an 11', and it does have a bit more rocker than the 10'6 or 11'4, allowing more turning and steeper wave, but if I were 77kg I'd be getting a 10'6. And I would try to get last years pine model. I think that it has less spring than bamboo.

Yep, I have a pine Nalu 10-6 and it is a really good board that will suit a lot of people. It's so popular it's become a bit of a standard, really. For mushy surf, for intermediates, I'd estimate the best weight range for it to be around 67-83 kgs.

LucBenac
431 posts
22 Jan 2019 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Three weeks for the used Nalu 11'4" to be repaired. in the meantime, having fun with friends on ankle biters on another Naish:

GizzieNZ
4100 posts
26 Jan 2019 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Haven't tried the nalu 11'.......but the 11'4 is definitely a keeper.....fun fun fun

GizzieNZ
4100 posts
27 Jan 2019 5:51AM
Thumbs Up

I think the 11'4 has heaps of rocker......if you get right up the front of it......is like putting the brakes on? Not the sort of board you are likely to catch the nose on during take offs

LucBenac
431 posts
27 Jan 2019 5:53AM
Thumbs Up

I am counting thed ays until I got mine back from the repairman and when we have some stormy weather and a good push with waves so I can finally try it.

FRP
491 posts
28 Jan 2019 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Luc

let me know when you are headed over. Would be good to get out in the waves with you.

Cheers

Bob

LucBenac
431 posts
28 Jan 2019 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FRP said..
Hi Luc

let me know when you are headed over. Would be good to get out in the waves with you.

Cheers

Bob

Cheers Bob. might be some time yet. Will be practising in White Rock as much as possible :-)

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Naish Nalu 11' or 11'4"" started by LucBenac