Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Newbie Naish Question

Created by Garry73 > 9 months ago, 23 May 2016
Garry73
1 posts
23 May 2016 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting my first SUP, I'm just over 90kg and around 5'9". I'm looking at using it on flat water and some surfing.

Is this a good board to start with? are there other brands I should be looking at? (I do love the look of the Mana GTW). I want to keep the board below 10ft at present as I don't really have the room for anything bigger.

Thanks for your help

Garry

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
23 May 2016 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

The 10' Mana will be too big for you. The 9'5" should be the perfect starter for you.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
23 May 2016 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

At your weight and ability I'd definitely recomend the 10' Mana over the 9'5"..

Try and demo both first if you can..

Also concider the Naish 9'8" Odysseus..

Tardy
4919 posts
24 May 2016 5:52AM
Thumbs Up

I tend to agree ..the 10 mana should be good for a over 90 kg guy ...FIRST BOARD.
i have a mate that is 85 kg and he loves his 10'mana ..because it is a good size board.and he has no problem riding it in all conditions ....and he does flat water paddling .

If you are a real good surfer and what just a wave board as bris kites say ..maybe the 9'5..

because its ya first and learning the ropes is in mind the 10' is the best ..I learnt so much on my GT 10' mana .
it wasn't till I start surfing the big waves that I needed a smaller one ....
GTW beauty .

being in the UK you won't fall off as much on a bigger board ..and the water is quite cool there ..

pumpjockey02
309 posts
28 May 2016 3:30AM
Thumbs Up

Garry 73 great you are looking to get into stand up paddling, its such an awesome sport. I am 6 months in to my SUP life and am just starting to gain some confidence in the surf in NSW Australia, Giving the guys on the forum as much info as possible will enable them to guide you to the right board. I have a starboard avanti, it catches a wave so easily its ridiculous and also my dad has the Odysseus and it paddles really well in the surf, chop and swell and also along the flat water.

Having travelled around the UK I think its important to consider where you are going to be based as this could narrow your board choice considerably, What wave height you will be surfing and where you will be riding. If its only to ride smaller waves around south coast, cornwall and surrounds then a odysseus would actually be a fantastic board as the waves barely get above three to four feet. Its tracking would be useful and the stability so great for your needs.
Alternatively if you are going to say use it further north near whitby and newcastle then the waves get more punchy and a board like the nalu which is more longboard focused would be amazing and again probably all you need.
Thurso and Ireland then yes you could use a more surf style orientated board like the mana for bigger waves also traveling into France and southern European beach breaks then a more surf inspired board is something you could consider.
i think the UK has unlimited potential for paddle boarding. After traveling through Scotland, a few years ago, I visited so many places you could SUP that were so panoramic and beautiful, you could spend weeks paddling around lochs, rivers, caravan sands, Thurso, loch ness, highlands, most of the outer Hedibrean islands, of lewis, harris and the unspoilt beaches, not to mention john o groats, wales, Ireland, Newquay, St Ives, isle of wight, penzance, etc.

Also an inflatable sup may also be a better option as they are becoming more rigid and reliable. I would also maybe consider a sup holiday somewhere warm to get into the basics of SUPING and gaining confidence so that you don't fall in all the time in the colder UK waters, possibly Spain or the med for a week or two.

The UK is so unspoilt. You are going to enjoy exploring it and I must say I am envious.
Naish is a quality brand and I have hand no issues with the Odysseus, great board.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Newbie Naish Question" started by Garry73