Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Progression board deep minion or Jackson close

Created by calbs > 9 months ago, 23 Jul 2016
calbs
SA, 86 posts
23 Jul 2016 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hi been riding 8'3 x 28 3/4 x 4 3/16 deep .not sure what volume this is I guessing around 110 litres bought this for my son but I been riding it while my 8'6 x 31 x 4 1/4 also deep getting repaired.Found 8'3 stability great after few surfs .This got me thinking I could maybe go for something smaller also need to buy my number 3 son a sup as well so this could be well justified to the wife that the family needs another sup.Was thinking maybe 7'4 minion 105 litres or Jackson close in similar volume. I was thinking that my sons 8'3 would be similar to Jackson close so tending to sway towards the minion .I can try a 7'8 minion as a mate has 1 but haven't done that yet .I weigh 84kg 5'11".i know there is a lot of crew out there with experience with these boards so some advice here would be great .cheers calbs

robbo1111
NSW, 531 posts
24 Jul 2016 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

I've got both - I've had a 94L minion for a couple of years and just got a 85L JC which I've had out twice. I'm 70 kgs and over 50. My big board is an 8'5 Prowave. I bought all 3 boards second hand.
I love the minion but it does have some drawbacks - it doesn't go as vertical as I want and at times, due to the wide tail, the boards gets flipped over when trying the hit the lip. It could be just my technique but it never happens with the Prowave. It's so easy to paddle through white water and catches wave way easier then you would think. I love taking late drops on it and just fanging down the line.
I got the JC cause I wanted something that I could get a bit more radical with. It is super fast and turns so sharply, can't wait to use it more. The drawback being the low volume does mean I'm a bit more selective when I take it out. The other thing, and until now I didn't know why you never saw the pros paddling on their knees (apart from the fact it looks lame) is that you either have to stand up or lie down to paddle something so small. I can't kneel on it. Once out the back I find myself sitting on it to conserve energy rather than standing and constantly paddling around.
I'm sure you'll like either board but they are completely different beasts.

Brenno
QLD, 758 posts
24 Jul 2016 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

I have both and love 'em. The minion is a really fun board but to be honest i prefer to surf my JC or hybrid if the conditions are right. The minion is great for smaller stuff and makes mush work, but very occasionally on a super steep face one of those front corners will clip and can make it a puckering moment. I have practiced heaps flicking that super fat tail out on a top turn, but sometimes find it will stall and you need to paddle like sh1t to get going again. That tail is the business though to help you on to a weak wave. The JC is a true surf sup and gives me plenty of confidence to take on juice that i wouldn't with any other board. Stand on the tail with it set up as a thruster and you can really drive it.

calbs
SA, 86 posts
24 Jul 2016 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Brenno and Robbo for reply .think might end up going the jc when funds allow.Robbo 85L would be a challenge I would imagine u would want clean cons & light winds to take that weapon out.I guess best way might be demo if get chance .thanks again calbs

Scottydc
NSW, 73 posts
24 Jul 2016 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said...
I have both and love 'em. The minion is a really fun board but to be honest i prefer to surf my JC or hybrid if the conditions are right. The minion is great for smaller stuff and makes mush work, but very occasionally on a super steep face one of those front corners will clip and can make it a puckering moment. I have practiced heaps flicking that super fat tail out on a top turn, but sometimes find it will stall and you need to paddle like sh1t to get going again. That tail is the business though to help you on to a weak wave. The JC is a true surf sup and gives me plenty of confidence to take on juice that i wouldn't with any other board. Stand on the tail with it set up as a thruster and you can really drive it.

How do you find the hybrid compared to the JC Brenno? Performance and stability?

Brenno
QLD, 758 posts
25 Jul 2016 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mrsdc78 said...
Brenno said...

How do you find the hybrid compared to the JC Brenno? Performance and stability?

The JC is 4" longer and 1" wider, so speed and turn are not quite as good, but very close. However if the waves are bigger (which 9 times out of 10 means messier at my local) i will turn to the JC. For my ability, and being 6'3" and 102kg, my JC at 9'2" x 31 x 140L is perfect. If i travel it's the board i take with me.

Supmaori
678 posts
25 Jul 2016 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

I have the Minion 7'8 115L which i love. Great construction and build. Works in all conditions that ive had it in..mush to double overhead. The only thing IMO that it lacks is a little bit of glide..my fav break is 3km paddle ..so over this distance you notice it a bit. But thats to be expected with its length. Great catching waves deep and awesome performance once on the waves. Ive gone for a sunova speeed 8'5 which is ordered ut did look at the JC closely before pulling the trigger. Partly due to the great service and assistance from the boys at Deep.

calbs
SA, 86 posts
25 Jul 2016 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

Supmaori 3 km paddle that is a awesome warm up I recon I would be Buggered by time I got out there ??but I need more water time to get fitness up.i am hoping to give the minion a demo when conditions get better on our mid coast ,bit stormy cons at minute.does the minion still handle well in overhead surf .cheers calbs

Supmaori
678 posts
26 Jul 2016 6:43AM
Thumbs Up

.yip I've found it really good on the nice big solid walls I ride..yes it's a big paddle mate..takes me about 35min..and after a surf and paddle back close to 9km in total..but well worth it. Sometimes on the big waves you get a little bit if bounce from the bottom of the board but dies cause any problems... unfortunately can't duck dive so on the big sets you get drilled a bit. I got a 10mm leash from ballin and wear the new surf como Vest which I like for a bit if safety as it's isolated around the corner where I paddle.also helps with float and no super hold downs
Chur

calbs
SA, 86 posts
26 Jul 2016 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Supmaori sounds like good idea with vest in location you in . Even helmet protection good idea in solid cons . I've worn sup on my head before didn't Ko me but rattled me for a bit .if something like that happened on a busy break you would hope crew would help out but if isolated be a bit of peace of mind to have head protection.peace out bro cheers for feed back on minion.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Progression board deep minion or Jackson close" started by calbs