Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

SIC 2019

Created by TJR > 9 months ago, 4 Oct 2018
TJR
155 posts
4 Oct 2018 4:57AM
Thumbs Up

www.facebook.com/side.shore/photos/pcb.1950012948417287/1950010681750847/?type=3&theater

Hopefully the link will work

SIC have a few updated models for 2019 RS 14 x 21.5 and 12'6 x 20 ?

Bayonet 12'6 x 26 and a 14 x 24.5 which should be a beast in the right hands

Area10
1508 posts
4 Oct 2018 6:30AM
Thumbs Up

Those widths are making me feel very old. It would be embarrassing to turn up to a race with a 14x26 RS when there are people on versions that are 6" narrower! I'd be starting with such a handicap they'd hardly be any point. You might as well give out the prizes on the basis of how narrow each person's board is.

Maybe I should join the surf shape class...

Oh well, I guess it was frankly a bit daft that old farts like me should be racing anyway. It was fun while it lasted. There was a moment there where I could beat - or at least stay with - people half my age. But now I can't even stand on the boards they use! That's progress, I guess.

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
4 Oct 2018 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

"But now I can't even stand on the boards they use! "

Take the positive stance from this Area10...at least now you don't even have to pretend you like racing the young kids...

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
4 Oct 2018 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

did anyone order a SIC Skinny latte?

swimarko
49 posts
4 Oct 2018 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

here's 2019 catalog to be seen/downloaded
www.supshop24-7.com/sup-boards/sic-maui/

Cheers

Supnorte
262 posts
4 Oct 2018 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

You can check the catalogue here: issuu.com/supnorte/docs/2019_sic_cat8.31_print

Taking pre-orders already in Portugal

TJR
155 posts
5 Oct 2018 12:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Supnorte said..
You can check the catalogue here: issuu.com/supnorte/docs/2019_sic_cat8.31_print

Taking pre-orders already in Portugal

We've had an RS 14 x 21.5 on pre order for a couple of months so hopefully it will be here end of this month early next. Not for me as I think the 23 is my limit but my lad should fly on it

Supnorte
262 posts
5 Oct 2018 3:55AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Tim!

The 24.5 is super stable, so guys are going narrower now: 23 for ocean conditions and 21.5 for pure flatwater. I'm going 23'' but wouldn't mind having a 21.5 for the flats

TJR
155 posts
5 Oct 2018 4:06AM
Thumbs Up

I will be trying the 21.5 but at my age and weight I think it will be have to be very very flat

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
5 Oct 2018 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Don't tell me..."more stable than last year's..."

Area10
1508 posts
5 Oct 2018 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TJR said..
I will be trying the 21.5 but at my age and weight I think it will be have to be very very flat

You'll be fine in flat stuff, in terms of staying on. I paddled a 14x21.5 a couple of years ago and didn't get wet. And you have better balance than me. But the problem I had was in being fast as well as staying dry. I lost so much rhythm and power staying upright that I'd probably have been faster on a 10-6x30 surf shape!

TJR
155 posts
6 Oct 2018 1:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Helmy said..
Don't tell me..."more stable than last year's..."

I won't tell you that as there is no change except for the narrower models

Area10
1508 posts
6 Oct 2018 2:35AM
Thumbs Up

They'll probably be lucky to sell more than 4 of the 21.5" wide boards in the whole of the UK. So it's mainly a marketing exercise really, I guess. Maybe more will be sold in Oz, but there won't be that many people who can paddle a 21.5" wide board in the sea.

But I'm glad they've kept the same design. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And keeping a design for a while might help secondhand board sales. At the moment, depreciation on carbon boards is so steep that you'd have to be a millionaire to buy a new one at anything like RRP.

TJR
155 posts
6 Oct 2018 3:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
They'll probably be lucky to sell more than 4 of the 21.5" wide boards in the whole of the UK. So it's mainly a marketing exercise really, I guess. Maybe more will be sold in Oz, but there won't be that many people who can paddle a 21.5" wide board in the sea.

But I'm glad they've kept the same design. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And keeping a design for a while might help secondhand board sales. At the moment, depreciation on carbon boards is so steep that you'd have to be a millionaire to buy a new one at anything like RRP.

Well one is sold already and it wouldn't surprise me if we dont take a second over here after that one arrives and is tried by a few people

Yardsale
66 posts
10 Oct 2018 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..

I'm not sure, I bought a 23" wide this year because it feels just as stable as the 24.5" RS to me. I'm just under 5'9" so that helps... but in waves and chop I didn't feel an advantage going wider. I think the question will be how much volume will the 21.5 have... at 185 pounds I can't go much smaller in volume without pushing water. ... but it is not out of the question. So maybe 6 boards will sell in the UK and 15 in the US.

Yardsale
66 posts
30 Jan 2019 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

Finally got to paddle the 14 x 21.5 RS. The narrower RS has a little more center line roll than the 23, which must be due to the tuck up front, cuz the bottom is dead flat... Aside from that it paddles just like the 23 with just a tad less stability. I was surprised that the volume wasn't much of an issue, the nose sat above the water and I seemed to have plenty of rail above the water.... I credit an outstanding design. I've paddled a couple other boards with volume in the same range and it was apparent they sat lower and pushed more water up front. I probably expended 20% more lower body energy on my first paddle, it's amazing how much more my legs were working on the narrower width, even though I wasn't aware until near the end of the paddle.. For all around paddling , including off the wind runs or racing there' s no question the 23 or 24.5 are better choices, but for flatter conditions to moderate chop and pushing my limits... the 21.5 will be hard to stay away from.

TJR
155 posts
28 Feb 2019 5:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Yardsale said..
Finally got to paddle the 14 x 21.5 RS. The narrower RS has a little more center line roll than the 23, which must be due to the tuck up front, cuz the bottom is dead flat... Aside from that it paddles just like the 23 with just a tad less stability. I was surprised that the volume wasn't much of an issue, the nose sat above the water and I seemed to have plenty of rail above the water.... I credit an outstanding design. I've paddled a couple other boards with volume in the same range and it was apparent they sat lower and pushed more water up front. I probably expended 20% more lower body energy on my first paddle, it's amazing how much more my legs were working on the narrower width, even though I wasn't aware until near the end of the paddle.. For all around paddling , including off the wind runs or racing there' s no question the 23 or 24.5 are better choices, but for flatter conditions to moderate chop and pushing my limits... the 21.5 will be hard to stay away from.

I'm still waiting to try the 21.5. there is one sitting on the roof of my sons van but he says that as he can't paddle it (knackered shoulder after the Worlds last year) then neither can I. I wouldn't mind so much but the little twat owes me for it. Kids, who'd have them???

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
28 Feb 2019 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TJR said..

Yardsale said..

I'm still waiting to try the 21.5. there is one sitting on the roof of my sons van but he says that as he can't paddle it (knackered shoulder after the Worlds last year) then neither can I. I wouldn't mind so much but the little twat owes me for it. Kids, who'd have them???

just take it and see what happens?

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"SIC 2019" started by TJR