Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

SIC F16 stability?

Created by excav8ter > 9 months ago, 1 May 2017
excav8ter
536 posts
1 May 2017 5:31AM
Thumbs Up

Question for you guys here on the Breeze. I have been curious of how different an SIC F16 would be, compared to a Bullet V2 (with A.S.S). I had a Bullet V2, but only used it a few times because of the placement of the tiller, the narrow tail, lack of volume and "tippyness" of the board. Shortly after picking up the V2, I also picked up an NSP Open Ocean 14, and immediately got comfortable because of the wider tail, huge volume and terrific stability. I LOVE the board, but I am getting the itch to try something else.
I am wondering if anyone can comment on the stability differences between the F16 and the V2?
We paddle and downwind Lake Michigan, and some bigger inland lakes here in Michigan.

I am 6'4" tall and 225lbs.

Thanks.

Nozza
VIC, 2835 posts
1 May 2017 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

When you say Bullet V2, are you 17'4" or 14'?

excav8ter
536 posts
1 May 2017 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nozza said..
When you say Bullet V2, are you 17'4" or 14'?

Sorry. I should have clarified that. I'm referring to the Bullet V2, 14'.

Nozza
VIC, 2835 posts
2 May 2017 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

I have found the F16 way more stable than the 14' V2.
But I would never classify the V2 as 'tippy"
But, I like the V1 14 over the V2, more re assuring with high volume rails
No steering on mine, so no restriction on standing position.
Helmy may be able to add - he has down winded both.
The F16 is a massively bigger board, so more stable even if marginally narrower.

excav8ter
536 posts
3 May 2017 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nozza said..
I have found the F16 way more stable than the 14' V2.
But I would never classify the V2 as 'tippy"
But, I like the V1 14 over the V2, more re assuring with high volume rails
No steering on mine, so no restriction on standing position.
Helmy may be able to add - he has down winded both.
The F16 is a massively bigger board, so more stable even if marginally narrower.

Thanks Nozza. I guess I called the V2 with A.S.S "tippy", because I have to stand just ahead of the midpoint of the tiller to get far enough forward to get the V2 into a wave. And because of the tiller, I seem to weight that side of the board a bit more, which makes me fall more often in bigger conditions. I think the width of the V2 and F16 is 27.25", that's why I wondered if the length plus the added volume would help with stability. The volume of the F16 is VERY close to my NSP Open Ocean 14'. Unfortunately, NO ONE has an F16 to try, so I may have to take the leap of faith on my own.

obijohn
123 posts
3 May 2017 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

I switched back and forth between the F16 and a Bullet 14 v1 during a perfect downwinder on the south shore of Maui. For myself, as a newbie to downwinding but with a few years of SUP surfing and a long history of prone surfing, I found quite a bit of difference between the two. The F16 felt pretty stable (not quite as stable as the F14 wide at 30"), and was very easy to catch and connect lots of bumps; far better than the three different 14s I have ridden from a couple of different brands. I fell in a lot more on the Bullet 14, and found it harder to connect longer glides. A few days after this, I bought two F16s, one for me and one for the wife.

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
3 May 2017 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry excav8ter,
I've struggled not to reply, mainly because I couldn't fathom how anyone would call a SIC V2 14' Bullet "tippy".
An SIC V2 is like a footpath, balance wise...a very fast footpath.

Although I can understand your problem now with the tiller.
I don't think a 14' board really needs a tiller - not enough room, it's always in the wrong place, and the board is not big enough to need it for steering.
I'd suggest locking the rudder off and removing the tiller, then downwinding it. Once you remove the physical and mental distraction of the tiller I'll bet that it reverts to it's natural attributes - stable, comfortable, fun and faaaaassttt!!!

With regards to an F16, I can really only comment on my (Maui) hollow SIC V1 F16. There are various versions around these days.
But they all have the same characteristics - a lot of volume in the standing area, a lot of bow rocker, and a pintail stern. So the length doesn't really give you any additional stability. Standing side by side in flat water I would say that the V2 is more stable.

Where the F16 (and any other unlimited board) excels though is when the breeze gets big (25+ knots). The board shape and length means you don't have to move around the board as much, or as quickly. I liken mine to "a magic carpet ride" in 30+ knots...

Also, I'm 5'4" and 165 lbs. Horses for courses. Lake Michigan can get pretty gnarly I would imagine. At your size I would have thought that a 17'4" Bullet would be a better bet than an F16 anyway. Haven't met anyone who doesn't like their unlimited SIC...

Keep one of the 14's for under 25 knots, and get a 17 for 25+ knots.
But don't tell me which 14 you kept if you make the WRONG CHOICE!!!

excav8ter
536 posts
3 May 2017 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for replying Helmy. The lack of volume is a problem for me with the V2, as well as tiller placement. In light breeze I could never get the V2 to catch many glides. I hate to say this, but my NSP catches bumps much easier in my opinion, but again, I feel that is partly due to the 325 or so liters of well placed volume. A 17'4" Bullet seems to me would be too big to fit in our short period waves, but I may be wrong there too.
If the wind gets over 25 knots, Lake Michigan is often a no go for us, because it gets SUPER messy and crossed up, so we will try one of the bays in the Traverse City area, which can REALLY be a FUN downwind location. North and South winds can provide up to 30 miles of downwind heaven.

crazybula
NSW, 99 posts
5 May 2017 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

excav8ter,

Don't fear the 17'4" Bullet on inshore/lake Dwers. It outright hauls. I'm a slightly shorter and heavier than yourself but have used a 17'4" Bullet quite a lot over the last 2yrs on lake and bay DWers. I can safely say it is awesome. I have had Falcons, an Ace, and other dugouts and they were all great, but if the bride told me I could only keep one I would keep the Big Bullet.

excav8ter
536 posts
5 May 2017 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
crazybula said..
excav8ter,

Don't fear the 17'4" Bullet on inshore/lake Dwers. It outright hauls. I'm a slightly shorter and heavier than yourself but have used a 17'4" Bullet quite a lot over the last 2yrs on lake and bay DWers. I can safely say it is awesome. I have had Falcons, an Ace, and other dugouts and they were all great, but if the bride told me I could only keep one I would keep the Big Bullet.

Thanks Crazybula. What are your thoughts on the production V2 Bullet 17'x28" for the same conditions as well as crossed up, short period waves on Lake Michigan?

crazybula
NSW, 99 posts
5 May 2017 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

In fairness I have yet to see one in the flesh so cannot really comment. All I can say is I have had a few 25 to 27 inch 14ers with my 105kg flailing around and the 17'4" Bullet V1 is by far the most stable board I have owned, as well as being more versatile than people realise.

crazybula
NSW, 99 posts
5 May 2017 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

A V1 bullet 14 is also a great choice as Nozza mentions. I do have a F16 hollow in my garage that I repaired for a mate but have not had the opportunity to get a sneaky on it.

excav8ter
536 posts
6 May 2017 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
crazybula said..
A V1 bullet 14 is also a great choice as Nozza mentions. I do have a F16 hollow in my garage that I repaired for a mate but have not had the opportunity to get a sneaky on it.

I have a friend with a V1, but I've never been on it. I have a few 14's but really want an unlimited. I have no doubts that the Bullet 17'4" is an amazing board, but going that narrow is a concern for me. Even the F16 at 27.25" is a bit concerning. I feel that the F16 will fit in our short period waves on the inland runs we have, and i might still be ok on it when it gets bigger on Lake Michigan too.

excav8ter
536 posts
12 Jun 2017 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like I have an F16 coming..... and a 17'4" Bullet.

Supnorte
262 posts
13 Jun 2017 1:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
excav8ter said..

Something like this?

excav8ter
536 posts
13 Jun 2017 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Supnorte said..

excav8ter said..

Something like this?

Pretty much! Both are A.S.S.
Pretty sure the 17'4" is going to a friend of mine. I'm STOKED!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"SIC F16 stability?" started by excav8ter