Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

SIC Maui Flatwater board

Created by Coldwater > 9 months ago, 2 Nov 2017
Coldwater
10 posts
2 Nov 2017 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone. I'm currently looking for a new flatwater board for racing and SIC is my only real option at the moment. The X 14 Pro and the X 14 Pro-lite seem to be the way to go but I haven't been able to figure out which one would suite a paddler of my size. The Pro-lite has only 226 L of volume whereas the X Pro has 253 L. I'm around 75 kg. There is no way I can have a test paddle in my part of the world before making a purchase so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

orlandomac
1 posts
3 Nov 2017 1:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Coldwater said..
Hi everyone. I'm currently looking for a new flatwater board for racing and SIC is my only real option at the moment. The X 14 Pro and the X 14 Pro-lite seem to be the way to go but I haven't been able to figure out which one would suite a paddler of my size. The Pro-lite has only 226 L of volume whereas the X Pro has 253 L. I'm around 75 kg. There is no way I can have a test paddle in my part of the world before making a purchase so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The X Pro that I tested performed very well both in flat and choppy waters. I tried a 14 x 26 though. For your weight, 253 L should be the minimum (The new RS model are even higher in L, reaching the 280-305 L range). That particular model compared to a Starboard feels a little bit tippier (I felt it specifically when I was dealing with side waves on open ocean).

The nose tends to keep below the waterline, so It force you go a little bit behind the handle. But once you identify your sweet spot, you will feel how easy is to speed up with this board.

Hope this helps.

Supnorte
262 posts
3 Nov 2017 4:58AM
Thumbs Up

The X-Prolite 14 is the fastest board I've ever paddled in flatwater. If you paddle in flatwater this is the right board for you (even at 75 kg). I weight 70 kg and I think it would e suitable for paddlers on those conditions until 80-85 kgs (although I know someone heavier, but a great paddler, that still prefers the prolite in flatwater). The X-Pro 14 is a more versatile board, it's still fast in flatwater and more stable in chop or the ocean (great board to surf, as the X-Prolite, but a bit more tippier).

DiscoStupid
NSW, 90 posts
3 Nov 2017 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

The X 14 Pro-lite would be the way to go at your weight. It is a great board and I'm surprised we don't see more around. I've had mine for a few years( 2015 model?) and are very happy with the construction. The board is super light and has the best handle of any board I've picked up. It is fast and the stability for a 24" is very good. I happily paddle mine in the ocean in moderate conditions. Would definitely buy a SIC board again.

Coldwater
10 posts
3 Nov 2017 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info guys! So that's one for the X Pro and one for the X Pro-lite. One solution would be to lose some weight. Tough times ahead :)

Area10
1508 posts
6 Nov 2017 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Two important factors here are how tall you are and how old you are. Personally, if in doubt I'd go for the wider board, especially if you are tall or not in the first flush of youth. You can't be consistently fast if you are wobbly. 226L and 24" wide is not very much board, and at 75kg you aren't a flyweight. But maybe you are 20 years old, 5ft 8" tall, an expert athlete, and willing to suffer for speed. In which case you can probably go as narrow as you dare.

I have a 23" wide board (not a SIC), and I'm definitely faster on the 25" wide version of it, and I'm not much heavier than you. The 23" wide version sits a little too low in the water to be efficient, and the constant micro-wobbles with me on board disturb the flow of water and stroke rhythm. But I'm just a wobbly old man, so you may be different.

Coldwater
10 posts
7 Nov 2017 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
Two important factors here are how tall you are and how old you are. Personally, if in doubt I'd go for the wider board, especially if you are tall or not in the first flush of youth. You can't be consistently fast if you are wobbly. 226L and 24" wide is not very much board, and at 75kg you aren't a flyweight. But maybe you are 20 years old, 5ft 8" tall, an expert athlete, and willing to suffer for speed. In which case you can probably go as narrow as you dare.

I have a 23" wide board (not a SIC), and I'm definitely faster on the 25" wide version of it, and I'm not much heavier than you. The 23" wide version sits a little too low in the water to be efficient, and the constant micro-wobbles with me on board disturb the flow of water and stroke rhythm. But I'm just a wobbly old man, so you may be different.

Well I'm pushing forty and I'm around 5ft 9" (not sure about feet and inches). My current race board is the 2017 Naish Maliko which is super stable and in many races I would have been happy to get a bit more speed at the expence of stability. Anyway, had a look at the SIC 2018 catalog yesterday and looks like it's all about the RS now. Seems they've more or less dropped the flatwater models from their board range.

TJR
155 posts
8 Nov 2017 4:39AM
Thumbs Up

I used to ride my 14' prolite on the sea as we don't have any rivers or lakes here and had no problem with swell and chop head or tail on, it got a little tricky with it on the side though. I am short but weight 85kg and I'm well into my 50s

Carvers
132 posts
11 Nov 2017 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Coldwater said..

Have demo paddled the pro lite with 83 kgs on flatwater. I am 180cm. No problems, fast board, nice glide, treat this carbon deck with the utmost care. Beware that this a pure flatwater board.

SUPmission
1 posts
22 Mar 2018 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Coldwater said..

Hi Coldwater, hope I'm not too late to jump in with my thoughts about the X-Pro or Pro-Lite boards. I've paddled both boards at the 220km SUP11City race in Holland and I have to say the Pro-Lite is one I would go for again for any flatwater race. And when I say flatwater, it is never really flat in Holland for its races. Winds blowing up to 6kn on day 1 last ultra race in 2017 that you have to make ammends with techniques you've hopefully learnt for such distances. As comparison between the two boards, I shaved more than an hours time, faster and less taxing on your overall body to get the miles in. Smaller lighter board compared to the 26" wide X-Pro also mean I can get away with a smaller paddle to pull the same race pace with lesser effort. I weight 75 and will be hitting 50 soon. I average at 44 spm for distance paddling with Trifecta 86 blade and make average of 7.5kph. Average for an old cat on water. This skinnier boards only means we need to pick up that old skill set called balance. It is something that you can get used to if coordination and motorskill's intact. Better to fall out of balance in water than in life while practising! And when you finally get hold of that into equilibrium, the rest is for you to grab. I have my Pro-Lite for sale if anyone here in interested as I have the RS 23 coming. If you think the 226L volume is dragging you, then try the FX or the RS which is meatier to keep us all afloat and have fun! Aloha!

Coldwater
10 posts
23 Mar 2018 4:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SUPmission said..

Coldwater said..

Hi Coldwater, hope I'm not too late to jump in with my thoughts about the X-Pro or Pro-Lite boards. I've paddled both boards at the 220km SUP11City race in Holland and I have to say the Pro-Lite is one I would go for again for any flatwater race. And when I say flatwater, it is never really flat in Holland for its races. Winds blowing up to 6kn on day 1 last ultra race in 2017 that you have to make ammends with techniques you've hopefully learnt for such distances. As comparison between the two boards, I shaved more than an hours time, faster and less taxing on your overall body to get the miles in. Smaller lighter board compared to the 26" wide X-Pro also mean I can get away with a smaller paddle to pull the same race pace with lesser effort. I weight 75 and will be hitting 50 soon. I average at 44 spm for distance paddling with Trifecta 86 blade and make average of 7.5kph. Average for an old cat on water. This skinnier boards only means we need to pick up that old skill set called balance. It is something that you can get used to if coordination and motorskill's intact. Better to fall out of balance in water than in life while practising! And when you finally get hold of that into equilibrium, the rest is for you to grab. I have my Pro-Lite for sale if anyone here in interested as I have the RS 23 coming. If you think the 226L volume is dragging you, then try the FX or the RS which is meatier to keep us all afloat and have fun! Aloha!

Thank you SUPmission for your comments. As it happens, I'm having an RS 23 heading my way as well! Sort of a compromise as it, of course, is not a pure flatwater board but I reckon it will be faster on flat than my Maliko 24 2017. Hope you'll enjoy your RS, SUPmission!

Area10
1508 posts
23 Mar 2018 5:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Coldwater said..

SUPmission said..

Coldwater said..

Thank you SUPmission for your comments. As it happens, I'm having an RS 23 heading my way as well! Sort of a compromise as it, of course, is not a pure flatwater board but I reckon it will be faster on flat than my Maliko 24 2017. Hope you'll enjoy your RS, SUPmission!

I think you can pretty much guarantee that the 23 RS will be usefully faster in the flat than the 24 2017 Maliko.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"SIC Maui Flatwater board" started by Coldwater