Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

SIC Maui RS 2020

Created by Coldwater > 9 months ago, 27 Sep 2019
Coldwater
10 posts
27 Sep 2019 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

I guess this is all unofficial at the moment but here are the RS's for 2020. I gather they have lowered the nose and tail to maximize the waterline and the nose has also been pulled in a bit from the wide point. Seems like they're looking for more flatwater speed. Drainage holes have also been adjusted and there should be volume shifted from the rails to the nose.

Rideordie
159 posts
23 May 2020 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone offer a review of this board??? I have my finger on the trigger and no place to test one.

Supnorte
262 posts
24 May 2020 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

You have to test them in Portugal! We already have them for more than 6 months. There were a lot of changes, well explained on the board description:

"The RS has now been fine tuned and made even faster and stronger. The refinements are slight but the improvement to top-end speed is significant. The nose has been pulled in slightly from the wide point giving it even better into-the-wind performance, acceleration and top-end speed. The volume from the rails has been stacked back into the top deck and shaped into a higher center peak to sheer water and pop up more quickly when the nose punches through chop. The nose of the 14'0" was lowered by approximately 1/4"/635 cm and the tail lowered by 1/2"/1.27cm to optimize the waterline while the rocker line of the 12'6" remains unchanged based on the rider feedback. The cockpit has been lowered slightly."

The construction is also better (it was already very good), with a full PVC wrap (amomg other things) and also better quaility from the factory, since it moved from Cobra to Kinetics (they do amazing composite work).

Hope you can finf one to test!

LucBenac
431 posts
25 May 2020 12:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
I wish Naish would have done the same in 2020....this fatcory produces quality boards, Jimmy lewis, Infinity........

Supnorte said..

full PVC wrap and better quaility from the factory, since it moved from Cobra to Kinetics (they do amazing composite work).

Rideordie
159 posts
27 May 2020 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

Supnorte, thanks for the response! I wish I could test ride one. Sounds fantastic! I am in the US and no place to test ride nearby. It is good to hear from people who have tested or own one.

Rideordie
159 posts
6 Jun 2020 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

Anybody else have experience with this board? Really want to hear from you!!!!

Rideordie
159 posts
6 Jun 2020 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

Anybody else have experience with this board? Really want to hear from you!!!!

Rideordie
159 posts
12 Jun 2020 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

In reading earlier posts, I saw that Area 10 and others did a Great Job on reviews of the prior edition of the SIC RS 14. I would love to see something similar for this version for comparison!!

burchas
335 posts
13 Jun 2020 4:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

?
Rideordie said..
In reading earlier posts, I saw that Area 10 and others did a Great Job on reviews of the prior edition of the SIC RS 14. I would love to see something similar for this version for comparison!!

Maybe try and contact Area10 directly since he has the new RS as well

Rideordie
159 posts
13 Jun 2020 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Burchas! That's news to me and good to hear!! I will send a PM.

gregjet
QLD, 84 posts
17 Jun 2020 7:08AM
Thumbs Up

I have a 28" one ( I have balance issues).
No racing yet ( surprise), but I have been doing some time trials and paddle comparison tests. I am relatively new ( year and a have but a long time surfer, sailor, canoer etc).
First I LOVE paddling this board ( cons later),
The most stable board I own , even more stable than my Starboard widepoint (32") and Sally's Starboard whopper (34"). Mostly to do with the square lower rail line and lower deck , I suspect.
First board I have owned that is completely stable in side chop and boat wash. ( I have 6 boards).
Not faster than my other race boards , but same speed for lower heart rate at present. Still getting used to it. Different trim from any of my other boards and likes stance more forward.
Nice fin. Unusual set back. Very light and stiff carbon. The fin base ( not the plug) actually overlaps the rear of the slot.
Almost unaffected by headwinds, despite the high freeboard. Quite a revelation actually, in tornado alley ( our race TT area).
Very quiet ( low noise is lower drag). Very little wave making.
Easiest board I own to bouy pivot ( if that's what you can call my attempts). Supboarder pro video said the kickpad was too far forward , but on this board it is actually furthur back than any of my other boards. I measured. I suspect because the tail is so wide it LOOKS furthur forward. My 84 kg has no trouble getting the tail under.
Advertised weight is spot on.

Cons
The surface marks EXTREMELY easily. After 2 days the board looks older than my second hand 3
year old board. Scratches, paddle paint dings. If you are a bit OCD about looks this board will look aged very quickly.
Deck is the slipperiest of any board I own. I have had to go back to my 5finger wet shoes to stop sliding on the board. I have bought new deck pad to try and get some grip back ( remember this is a brand new board). Especially shows when stepping back to turn.

The fin is too far forward for efficient straight line stability ( I weave almost as much as my allrounders). That would be good for downwinding but I don't do that ( yet!). Even right at the rear of the slot and with the inbuilt rearward offset overlap, it doesn't like straight lines. This may ( will) improve when I learn to trim furthur foward and engage the short knife bow section.
The bottom becomes flat/concave very quickly . Again better for DW to keep the nose from diving ( I believe), but a little tiny bit plowey on flat water. Having said that the rise in the flat is quite gentle, and doesn't slap much in head chop.
A bit of a side issue is that the top shape means it doesn't sit on roof racks without some serious shuffling. The curve from the front section to the deck sides is very curved and it is right on the balance area for tiedown. The front it to pointed in the centre line to put on flat racks. Almost needs a purpose built kayak style cradle.
I still love it though.
Pics are before taping . Sorry they don't show the rear and fin slot very well.

Rideordie
159 posts
17 Jun 2020 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

Gregjet,
Thanks for the reply, review and photos! It sounds like stability is a big issue for you considering that your board is 28 inches wide. I am glad it works well for you. I expect to go for the 24.5 inch board, as I weigh about 205 pounds and have average or better balance. I was able to get an additional opinion from another very experienced paddler and owner of this board. He gave it a glowing review and said that I should just stop my search and buy one because IT IS THAT GOOD!!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"SIC Maui RS 2020" started by Coldwater