Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

SIC Maui Triton 8'2 x 28''

Created by Supnorte > 9 months ago, 23 Nov 2016
Supnorte
262 posts
23 Nov 2016 12:47AM
Thumbs Up

For 2017, SIC Maui redisigned its Surf Series. I've received this SIC Triton 8'2 a while ago and have been having a lot of fun with it.

Specs: 8'2 x 28'' x 4.6''
118 liters
8,3 kgs

Also available on 8'8 x 29'' (130 liters) and 9'4 x 30'' (144 liters).

Construction: Glass Composite and wood sandwich with carbon reinforced stringer and standing area. Commingled carbon and Innegra rail wrap. Diamong grooved deck pad and 4 piece kick pad. Five FCS2 boxes compatible with FCS and FCS fusion fins, and comes with 12K Carbon Three/Four fins. Can be set as a quad or thruster. Gore-Tex breather valve, Ergo undercut handle, double leash plugs and GoPro insert on the nose.

Pulled in nose to hold the line on steeper faces, single to double concave and rounded pin tail. It's thickness it's in the middle point to improve stability and it's thinner on the nose and tail.

I've surfed it in various conditions from 1-4 ft waves (from clean, hollow, mushy, etc). I weight 70 kgs and I'm 1,80 m tall. Been SUPing for 6 years (and board sports for more than 25 years) and tried dozens of boards (I'm affiliated with SIC, Starboard and will start now with Infinity in Portugal, so I'm biased).

I'm used to surf with low volume boards (most of my boards on the last 3 years are below 100 liters), so I was a bit suprised how a 118 liters board surfed that well. It's relatively easy to catch waves with, fast on hollow waves and projects really well after the bottom-turn to hit the lip or snap off the top (great with pivot turns moves). Also, it's was with this board that I've finally dialed the roundhouse cutback, one of the most the most simple but yet tricky moves to do on a SUP (if done well), but I have to say that the GoPro insert helped with that because it allowed me to see a mistake I was doing after reviewing one of the sessions.

As for the construction it looks like one of the toughest boards I've ever seen. I haven't put a rail saver yet and I'm considering not putting one at all. The construction reminds me a bit some of SIC's other boards, especially the Bullet (I owned a 12'6 SCC and currently have a 14 V2 SCC and I'm receiving a 17'4 FAST this month.

I'll try to post some videos riding the board (although I haven't been able to post one on the forum an tried a few times, so help is appreciated).

exiled
362 posts
23 Nov 2016 6:21AM
Thumbs Up

Nice! I think this is probably going to be my next board. At 103 kg and nearly 2m tall its probably just about the smallest board I can realistically surf right now. They packed a lot more volume into this board than most other brands who have similar sized boards, its nice to hear that it doesn't feel too corky like some boards that try to pack in volume do.

If you have a tape measure handy, I'd love to know the distance from the arch bar on the tail pad to the carrying handle.

SurfNiels
182 posts
9 Dec 2016 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

I ordered one as well.. cant wait for it. just watched this

hanza1111
84 posts
15 Dec 2016 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

Nice looking board and well finished.
Currently have a naish Hokua LE 8'3x27.5 100L. This is my one board and love it as it has loads of nose and tail rocker and also pulled in nose and tail. Great for late drops and punching through surf, and strong offshore breezes.
Before that I used to have a 2013 starboard pro 8'5 x 29 112L. Felt too corky and no good on late drops as nose rocker too flat. also too wide and too much volume for my 65kg.

I'm interested in the triton 8'2 but don't want it to feel corky like the old starboards.
Your comments are encouraging Supnorte...
Have you been able to try the board as thruster and quad setup? and what fins currently are you using? cheers.

Supnorte
262 posts
16 Dec 2016 2:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hanza1111 said..

Have you been able to try the board as thruster and quad setup? and what fins currently are you using? cheers.

The board comes with the standard Three/Four 12K Carbon (quad/thruster) sey fins. I've only tried it on the quads and it didn't felt loose. Maybe on smaller waves I could use a smaller set of fins.

Supnorte
262 posts
16 Dec 2016 2:48AM
Thumbs Up

exiled
362 posts
30 Mar 2017 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Are these ever coming out?

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"SIC Maui Triton 8'2 x 28''" started by Supnorte