Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

SMIK Hipster Twin Fin Review -

Created by MickChard > 9 months ago, 8 Jul 2017
MickChard
VIC, 183 posts
8 Jul 2017 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hey everyone just thought i share my experience on my new found love ... As a few of you know I've had my fair share of boards & have really loved the challenge of training and eventually getting down to the low litre boards .. As much as its hard work at times for me its worth it when u get that one epic snap ....

Just so everyone Knows Ive now just become a team rider now for SMIK & ZU BOARDSPORTS so take it for what u will ..

First off i was worried I've gone to small & was stressing I've just folded another board ...At 8.2 X 30 - 116L with me been 95kegs dry ... The Last board I've been riding was my 8.9 Pro wave 2016 shape and i really loved that board & still do to be honest .. So first time paddling out on a decent size day i was shocked how easy it paddled .. Float felt more than my pro wave and way more stable ..Didnt really notice any diff in paddle speed & maybe the twin got on to waves a touch easier too for some reason ... Stability not far off my 8.0 hypernut i one had i reckon ...

Acceleration - its just crazy fast .. like nothing I've surfed .. Crazy

Turning - Really i feel its made for tight arc s .. Like the ones scotty does so well ... Ive had it out now in up too 4-5 ft and it just keeps getting looser and looser ... Loves it off the bottom too comes out with massive speed and holds it pretty well ... I feel like i wanna try hit lips and stuff way more too ...

Glide as noted before its pretty good not far off my Pro wave

Vertical - It wants too do that esp on the back hand

So yer basically its a SUPER stable short board kinda weapon if any ones looking for this vibe you'd would be crazy not too have a demo ..

Lightest board I've every had at just over 6kgs ..

My other boards have been a pro wave 8.9 & sunova 8.7 of late .. The Flows maybe a touch more stable i reckon but not much in it..

Any one in vic that wants too have a crack on mine hit me up, I'm always out, and would be happy too share a couple of waves with ya ...

Froth on ....!

Langers
VIC, 75 posts
9 Jul 2017 12:29AM
Thumbs Up

Good work , keen to have a try some time .

MickChard
VIC, 183 posts
9 Jul 2017 8:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Langers said..
Good work , keen to have a try some time .

Yer Langers any time mate Pm me when u heading out ..

seabreezer
377 posts
9 Jul 2017 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

that board looks unreal - and the middle one ... ! Are the front boxes in a regular position as if for thruster etc , or altered to twin-fin trailer it ? ...

MickChard
VIC, 183 posts
9 Jul 2017 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seabreezer said..
that board looks unreal - and the middle one ... ! Are the front boxes in a regular position as if for thruster etc , or altered to twin-fin trailer it ? ...

Hey SB i believe there set different. Maybe scotty can explain a bit more here.

scott mckerc
WA, 283 posts
9 Jul 2017 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickChard said..

seabreezer said..

Hey SB i believe there set different. Maybe scotty can explain a bit more here.

Is set up as a twin because outline to fin placement is critical. More than i could ever have imagined.

had a board of very similar dimensions full nose and swallow and box's in standard (for smik) thruster placement. As a thruster i loved this board, as a twin = Woof woof.

Took the twinny out as a thruster and it kinda worked but lost the magic. It felt like it was falling over on the hip when you put it on rail mod way through the cutty.

so it's pretty much a designated twin with performance being able to be controlled bu size of side twins.

when i tried putting a smaller thruster fin as the nubster, (bigger)it also killed the magic.

obijohn
123 posts
11 Jul 2017 7:01AM
Thumbs Up

What are the exact sizes of the current fin set up. Thanks.

MickChard
VIC, 183 posts
12 Jul 2017 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hey OB .. Mines 8.2 x30 116L .. The one on the right in the pic of 3 is 8.6x31 i believe bout 128L

scott mckerc
WA, 283 posts
13 Jul 2017 6:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
obijohn said..
What are the exact sizes of the current fin set up. Thanks.

front fins are 13 and nubster is 8.5cm

surfshaver
2 posts
13 Jul 2017 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

This board sounds ideal for my local spots and conditions in Southern California. Do you ship to the US or have a Distrib/Rep in Cali?

Cheers,

Alex

obijohn
123 posts
13 Jul 2017 1:17PM
Thumbs Up

Scott, thanks for the reply on the fin sizes. Question; I have been running 4 ?" side fins and a 3 ? trailing fin from a MR twin system on my Sunova Flow and Speeed. What would the advantages and disadvantages be of going up to the larger MR twins with the same trailing fin?

scott mckerc
WA, 283 posts
13 Jul 2017 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfshaver said..
This board sounds ideal for my local spots and conditions in Southern California. Do you ship to the US or have a Distrib/Rep in Cali?

Cheers,

Alex

Not as yet surf shaver
Have had a few inquiries from the US though so I suppose I better get a few inquiries together and take a flight :)

scott mckerc
WA, 283 posts
13 Jul 2017 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
obijohn said..
Scott, thanks for the reply on the fin sizes. Question; I have been running 4 ?" side fins and a 3 ? trailing fin from a MR twin system on my Sunova Flow and Speeed. What would the advantages and disadvantages be of going up to the larger MR twins with the same trailing fin?

I reckon advantages only positive.
Howvever a fella witha smaller twin has been playing around with smaller fins on his 7'8x28 and lovin it, but he's a smaller fella.
Stability /drive greatly improved i'd say

SUPerSwede
38 posts
20 Mar 2018 5:07AM
Thumbs Up

So how would a Smik Spitfire 8'3 work with the same twin+trailer setup? Maybe you tried it Scotty? Thinking about that combo for weak windswell.

peguin
WA, 263 posts
22 Mar 2018 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Another vote for the twinny. Finally got to do a southwest tour with the Smik twinny. Does exactly what i want and exactly as Scott says it works. Took it in waist to head & half waves. late drops, hard cutbacks and roundhouses. Loving it. I'm 78kg and got the 7'10 . Don't need a 2nd board. Does it all for me. Flat water to as big as i dare.

rhino212
3 posts
6 Jun 2018 3:26AM
Thumbs Up

Have just progressed from a Pocket Rocket to the Hipster Twin 8' here in the UK, and am totally blown away by its performance. Just ripped 2-4ft to shreds and can't wait to try it in the bigger stuff. It's a fast board, as loose as a twin, with as much drive as a quad, and takes off as early as the Pocket Rocket (and half the weight!) so all good. It's like a Pocket Rocket on steroids! The 8' is good for now, but will probably look for the 7'10 as the next step down sometime in the future, but don't tell my wife I'm only 72kg so should be able to make the transition with ease.

robdog
VIC, 611 posts
11 Jun 2018 5:33AM
Thumbs Up

I've posted this somewhere else but definitely worth another look.
Scotty ripping on a 7'10" twinzer

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"SMIK Hipster Twin Fin Review -" started by MickChard