Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Seeking Advice re: Fanatic Stylemaster and Sunova Style

Created by CPJ > 9 months ago, 27 Aug 2017
CPJ
2 posts
27 Aug 2017 3:14AM
Thumbs Up

My first post to this forum! I've been a big fan of this site for over a year now and have learned lots.

Would welcome any advice on the following..

I'm thinking of replacing my 9'4" Fanatic Allwave with something like a 10' Fanatic Stylemaster or 10' Sunova Style, both of which offer a windsurfing option. Here are the specs on the 3 boards:

- (Current) 9'4" Allwave. 173L, 33" wide, recommended rider weight (rrw) = 90-100 kg
- 10' Fanatic Stylemaster. 135L, 30" wide, rrw = 55-85 kg
- 10' Sunova Style. 130L, 29"wide. rrw = 70-90 kg

My Details:

- 79 kg (175 lbs) in my mid-40s. Intermediate SUPsurfer.
- freshwater, beach break. Although every now and then we get chest- to head-high waves, the wind-driven waves here are usually ankle- to waist-high.
- other riders: wife (61 kg/135 lbs) and son (50kg./110 lbs). Both are beginning to catch small waves.
- my most used SUP board is a 10'6" Nalu GS (160L, 30" wide). Love this board. Only downside is that the GS does not come with a windsurf option.

When I first came across the 10' Stylemaster and 10' Sunova, I didn't give them much thought since they are 25-30L lighter than my 160L Nalu, which feels just about spot on for me. But then I noticed that the recommended weight for the Stylemaster and Style are apparently within my weight-range. (Stylemaster says 55-85 kg; Sunova Style says 70-90 kg). Provided that this is actually the case, I'm wondering which of these boards (or others) would be a good replacement board for the Allwave.

Here's what I'm looking for, in order of importance:

1. an intermediate SUPsurf board that can catch 1-4 ft. waves easily and is stable enough for my 79 kgs. Also, I think I'm digging the longboard feel.
2. a board that is also good for windSUPing 2-4 ft. waves.
3. an appropriate SUPsurf board for my wife and son.

Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated!

Hoppo3228
VIC, 744 posts
27 Aug 2017 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

If you love the Nalu, the Sunova Surf 10'6" is basically their version of it... They offer a 10' version also...
I had a custom one made - 10'4" x 28.5 x 140L and i'm around 110kg and floats me with no issues.

supthecreek
2585 posts
27 Aug 2017 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

Hi CPJ, welcome to the breeze!

Full disclosure, I am fully connected to Sunova.

The Style and Stylemaster will seem 'tippy" when you 1st get on them.
The foiled rails will take a bit of adjustment, but your weight is well within the comfort zone.

I am 69 and 107 kg. I have no troubles on my 10' Style or 10'6 Surf
I have owned the 10'6 Nalu... as hoppo said, the Sunova Surf is very similar.

Both the Sunova's and the Fanatic have windsurf attachments

It depends what style longboarding you want to do.
If noseriding is your thing, then IMO, the Style is for you.
If all around performance longboarding is your goal, then it's the Surf or the Stylemaster.

The Sunova 10' Surf has the same 29" width as the 10' Style, but has 12 liters more at 142 L

rgmacca
400 posts
28 Aug 2017 6:15AM
Thumbs Up

Hi
i have had the fanatic 10' for 10months or so.
Im similar weight, 53, and intermediate who's static balance is not fantastic (knee issues).

My thoughts on style master.

Construction, paint chips easy, wood looks great, easy to carry. Good fins.

Stability(came off a similar board size to you) found it very tippy to start, not so good for me in wind chop.
Can paddle it all day long on glass days with out falling off. Slow pivot turning. I just take it out for a paddle when it's flat, works fine.

Love the way it rides, great rails(thin), get to the nose easy enough, very smooth. (Not used many boards though to compare). Does work well on the small days, I'm reg out in 1-3ft having fun.

No experience of sunova, but they do look very nice and sure I would love to own one as well.

I got the fanatic a ?200 less than sunova as a close out deal.

Hope me this may help.

CPJ
2 posts
31 Aug 2017 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the great feedback, guys. I've been out this week in small surf on both the 10'6 Nalu and 9'4 Allwave, and I think I'll hold on to both for the time being. Figure that I can continue to get better on both styles of boards. Will keep an eye out, though, for any discounted GT or GTW Nalus. Just wish they weren't so bloody expensive. (Things would be much easier if Naish included a mast insert on _all_ of their surf-related SUPs, including the GS line, just as Fanatic and Sunova do on all of their boards.) If no deals are to be found, I'm contemplating enlisting the help of a friend and installing the durn thing meeself!

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
31 Aug 2017 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

I cannot recommend the 10' Atlantis Runway nose rider enough!! But no windsurfing plug.

Had it out again in some very large surf at Manly this week and it never ceases to amaze me at what it can handle and how it performs. I should not even be nose riding on these size waves, but.....I cannot help myself.

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
31 Aug 2017 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Smash1 said..
I cannot recommend the 10' Atlantis Runway nose rider enough!! But no windsurfing plug.

Had it out again in some very large surf at Manly this week and it never ceases to amaze me at what it can handle and how it performs. I should not even be nose riding on these size waves, but.....I cannot help myself.

LastSupper
VIC, 360 posts
31 Aug 2017 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Smash1 said..

Smash1 said..

Nice stik !!! Even better skils !!!

MickMc
VIC, 452 posts
6 Sep 2017 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Any one with a 9' Fanatic stylemaster been able to nose ride it properly, as in toes over the nose, not just up near the end of it?

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
6 Sep 2017 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickMc said..
Any one with a 9' Fanatic stylemaster been able to nose ride it properly, as in toes over the nose, not just up near the end of it?

I think he rode the 9 on this vid.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Seeking Advice re: Fanatic Stylemaster and Sunova Style" started by CPJ