Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Smik Hipster Twin V2 Overview

Created by SurfFX > 9 months ago, 14 Dec 2019
SurfFX
QLD, 479 posts
Site Sponsor
14 Dec 2019 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

Our most popular surf SUP has had a few changes. Check out the new Smik Hipster Twin V2

Tardy
4919 posts
15 Dec 2019 5:56AM
Thumbs Up

NICE .

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
15 Dec 2019 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

You need one for your collection.

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
15 Dec 2019 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

How would my oversized Sunova Acid (9'1 x 30.5 124L) compare to a Smik Hipster Twin (8'3 x 31 120L) ?

The Acid is my go to board even through I am only 62kg. Gives me glide and has nice performance shape making it feel smaller .

The Smik at a similar volume and width is a lot shorter but tail looks more aggressive but mode more full .
Would paddling into waves be considerably more difficult compared
to the larger Acid ?

thegreatsup
502 posts
15 Dec 2019 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

I have tried either but interested to see the responses. I would say the hipster would be a lot more reactive and drivier due to way shorter rail line and twin, but paddling on to waves maybe harder due to shorter.
ive seen a hipster up close (never ridden one) and though the rails seemed quite fat? I would imagine your acid would have thinner rails

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
15 Dec 2019 2:28PM
Thumbs Up

Hoppo3228
VIC, 736 posts
15 Dec 2019 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

in theory the Smik should be faster and more drivey. flatter rocker and fatter rail help it sit higher on the water. .

Both are massive for your weight though...

shi thouse
WA, 1129 posts
15 Dec 2019 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

I have not tried the Acid, however have owned the Hipster. It is a fantastic board but I sold it as it didn't suit my riding style. When looking at the reviews and looking at the vids on Smik's website I believed I surfed like Scotty. I don't . This board likes a steep wave with a bit of power and most of my waves are not that steep but require a bit of speed to make sections.

So, I sold it and tried a few different boards. One of the boards I used for a bit was the Creek (in roughly the same volume as my Smik). I found them very similar in feel on the wave and when paddling. The Creek probably slightly more forgiving.

Needless to say, I didn't buy the Creek but ended up getting the Speeed and love it!

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
15 Dec 2019 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hoppo3228 said..
in theory the Smik should be faster and more drivey. flatter rocker and fatter rail help it sit higher on the water. .

Both are massive for your weight though...

True Hoppo.
I have smaller boards that I use when it's cleaner . But when it's busy and I need confidence and extra stability I take out the Acid . Never lets me down

Tardy
4919 posts
15 Dec 2019 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

I just had my 9,1 acid out in good size waves today ...the rails really bit into the wave ..and i enjoy the paddle power that comes with a 9,1 board ,
my 8,7 flow however takes a bit more paddling .but is looser on the wave ,which i would say the smik 8,6 would be too ..yes i noticed the rails are quite chunky and it does have 135 litres over the 9,1 at 125 and 8,7 flow at 120 .

you would surf them different ,I had a rip on the 8,3 smik ,it was loose ,but felt a lot smaller than the acid .duh,me .

I'm getting my 8,7 placid next week it has 31.5 wide and 125 litre simular to the 8,6 ,I will do a comparison soon ..for ya .but it still won't be a smik,
but at your weight boots you could ride the 8,3 ,I was 98 kgs ..at the time ..and kept tripping over it personally i don't like boards under 8,5 ,cause i'm a lump .

I love my acid .

MickMc
VIC, 452 posts
15 Dec 2019 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
I just had my 9,1 acid out in good size waves today ...the rails really bit into the wave ..and i enjoy the paddle power that comes with a 9,1 board ,
my 8,7 flow however takes a bit more paddling .but is looser on the wave ,which i would say the smik 8,6 would be too ..yes i noticed the rails are quite chunky and it does have 135 litres over the 9,1 at 125 and 8,7 flow at 120 .

you would surf them different ,I had a rip on the 8,3 smik ,it was loose ,but felt a lot smaller than the acid .duh,me .

I'm getting my 8,7 placid next week it has 31.5 wide and 125 litre simular to the 8,6 ,I will do a comparison soon ..for ya .but it still won't be a smik,
but at your weight boots you could ride the 8,3 ,I was 98 kgs ..at the time ..and kept tripping over it personally i don't like boards under 8,5 ,cause i'm a lump .

I love my acid .

Keen to hear the comparison.

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
15 Dec 2019 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shi thouse said..
I have not tried the Acid, however have owned the Hipster. It is a fantastic board but I sold it as it didn't suit my riding style. When looking at the reviews and looking at the vids on Smik's website I believed I surfed like Scotty. I don't . This board likes a steep wave with a bit of power and most of my waves are not that steep but require a bit of speed to make sections.

So, I sold it and tried a few different boards. One of the boards I used for a bit was the Creek (in roughly the same volume as my Smik). I found them very similar in feel on the wave and when paddling. The Creek probably slightly more forgiving.

Needless to say, I didn't buy the Creek but ended up getting the Speeed and love it!

Interestingly I have a Speeed 88 of similar volume (1 L less than my Acid). That said it feels way bigger to me . My 9'1 Acid feels easier to control and I rarely get thrown off.
At the high volume to my weight you expect to get thrown off . Happens with the Speeed 88 but not the Acid 91. I feel like I can slow down the Acid by putting wait on tail. On a steep drop I would get thrown off the Speeed at least once a session , but this does not happen on 91 Acid . I assume the SMIK Hipster would be similar with that tail shape ????
By the sounds of it though it is more of a big wave board . I rarely ride anything over 3 foot

Kovert
116 posts
16 Dec 2019 4:17AM
Thumbs Up

Had a 7'10 hipster twin, best turning board I've owned! Linked turns together so nicely. Rails are grippy and it's pretty easy to paddle once you find the sweet spot which is a bit further forward than expected. Had a speeed 8'5, night and day in terms of turning ease and flow. Speeed way more drive and faster but can't touch the radius and variation of the twin. I miss it tbh! Worked well for me from sucky thigh high to sloppy shoulder high to head high point surf. Did lack a bit if speed getting around sections in smaller flatter faced waves, sounds like the V2 addresses that

justaddwater
NSW, 674 posts
16 Dec 2019 7:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gboots said..

shi thouse said..

Interestingly I have a Speeed 88 of similar volume (1 L less than my Acid). That said it feels way bigger to me . My 9'1 Acid feels easier to control and I rarely get thrown off.
At the high volume to my weight you expect to get thrown off . Happens with the Speeed 88 but not the Acid 91. I feel like I can slow down the Acid by putting wait on tail. On a steep drop I would get thrown off the Speeed at least once a session , but this does not happen on 91 Acid . I assume the SMIK Hipster would be similar with that tail shape ????
By the sounds of it though it is more of a big wave board . I rarely ride anything over 3 foot

G Boots, I have had several different designs from Smik twins long and short/ mini style lord.IMO your comment about the hipster twin being a big wave board,may need some more information,all Scottys designs have consistently what I call the West factor,meaning they definitely step up with power! But are also so fun in the wave size that most of us surf from knee to head high,very versatile designs

cbigsup
454 posts
29 Dec 2019 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
justaddwater said..

Gboots said..

shi thouse said..

G Boots, I have had several different designs from Smik twins long and short/ mini style lord.IMO your comment about the hipster twin being a big wave board,may need some more information,all Scottys designs have consistently what I call the West factor,meaning they definitely step up with power! But are also so fun in the wave size that most of us surf from knee to head high,very versatile designs

My 8'4" HipTwin is primo from one foot to head and a half.

Works fine in junk as well as clean off shores.

And the C Drive Twinnies the best.

And now she's obsolete. V2 prolly mo bettah..

goggo
NSW, 355 posts
29 Dec 2019 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

I have 7'10" hypster transformer. Great quality build. Great first time wing ding yesterday. Would love to try with 4.5 windsurf rig and keen to get some foot straps. Still haven't had it in any juice as a sup.
Lucky to be on holiday so I can keep trying it in different modes.
Mahalo Scott.

scott mckerc
WA, 283 posts
30 Dec 2019 12:08AM
Thumbs Up

toot of own trumpet but hey......

Bit of typo on their behalf.
But apart from saying it was a 8'8 and not a 7'8, this was a very comprehensive test which I would highly recommend becoming a subscriber to to get the lowdown on the various boards in the test.

Which I think echoes why the hipster has been a pretty popular board up tallow.

goggo
NSW, 355 posts
30 Dec 2019 6:23AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Scott, when wave sailing hypster what fins do you use?
Is it possible to water start with wing ding in strong wind?
Thanks,
Paul

scott mckerc
WA, 283 posts
30 Dec 2019 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
goggo said..
Hey Scott, when wave sailing hypster what fins do you use?
Is it possible to water start with wing ding in strong wind?
Thanks,
Paul

Just the standard twinny set.
not aimed at being the ultimate board for getting up on the plane, but fine when fanging down the line on a wave

Feps
NSW, 108 posts
20 Jan 2020 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Thankyou Scotty! Recently received the v2 twin hipster 8'3" and I cannot wipe the smile of my dial surfed in junky and glassy 2-3ft (head high+) surf and love the way the twinnie seems at home going vert, floaters and in the pocket. Me, on the other hand, just hangs on for the ride! Great build and the lightest board I have had yet. Super stable, and as a few have mentioned, have found the sweet spot slightly forward from the handle. Sheesh-kebab, stepping on the tail pad feels like taking a seat in a formula one speed turning machine!
My wife might say that I talk about every new board like this, but I believe this is true love!

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
20 Jan 2020 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Feps said..
Thankyou Scotty! Recently received the v2 twin hipster 8'3" and I cannot wipe the smile of my dial surfed in junky and glassy 2-3ft (head high+) surf and love the way the twinnie seems at home going vert, floaters and in the pocket. Me, on the other hand, just hangs on for the ride! Great build and the lightest board I have had yet. Super stable, and as a few have mentioned, have found the sweet spot slightly forward from the handle. Sheesh-kebab, stepping on the tail pad feels like taking a seat in a formula one speed turning machine!
My wife might say that I talk about every new board like this, but I believe this is true love!

What are your specs mate? Great to see you love it.

Feps
NSW, 108 posts
21 Jan 2020 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nugdam said..

Feps said..

What are your specs mate? Great to see you love it.

Hey mate, 92kg 5'7". Point and beach breaks. Came off a fanatic prowave 8'9" 120l, which I still have. Took me a couple of surfs to feel her out, but it has all the drive and looseness with stability that I have been looking for.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Smik Hipster Twin V2 Overview" started by SurfFX