Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Smik Twin Fin

Created by scott mckerc > 9 months ago, 23 Feb 2017
scott mckerc
WA, 283 posts
23 Feb 2017 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

This has been the most apprehensive about taking off on a board for long time.

super excited about possibilities, but when paddling out was thinking this could be a complete dog.

Session one was on an overhead right hand reef break with a bit of power to it down at Margs region.

First bottom turn proved it hung in and actuallly had some drive to it. But with such a different sensation. Everything was a paradox. It held a line, but push harder and it bit and drew a tight line.

Cutback were smooth and held longer lines, until you pushed a little harder and could do super tight on rail cutties.

Then hung on the inside to pick off a few smaller ones. Drag free accelleration is what I think I was feeling. But in such a unique way which differ's to thrusters or quads. It's like the faster you go the more traction it gets, and as you slow up it get's looser but with hella acceleration.

Surf two I tried the board as a thruster in good size waves. Double overhead. Hung in there, but the hip didn't match with the thruster. it banked over differently.

Surf three on same outer bombie but smaller and back as a twin (With little stabilizer). Friction free, holding longer lines but still able to whip it through super tight arcs. with the way the board transitions back under yourself being totally different. (really quick) Only had a wave with sorta fat walls so really looking forward to some little beachies for other perfornace sides.

Still feel I'm only getting to know her, but each surf is opening new sides of her personality. Diggin the new sensation

TAA
SA, 1118 posts
23 Feb 2017 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

That looks like alot of fun....
Lets give it ago

burleighlocal
255 posts
23 Feb 2017 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

So great review..sounds like you are starting to get a grip on it.it also sounds like a review of someone who is learning a new board. However on your Vimeo account is a SMIK team trip from 6 months ago with a bunch of SMIK team riders.. ???

scott mckerc
WA, 283 posts
23 Feb 2017 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

Hey there Burleigh local
Not trying to say anything underhand here.
I'm the owner of the company and designer/shaper of the boards
Just was ultra frothing on the twin and wanted to share.
Not Kosher?
cheers

Scott McKercher

burleighlocal
255 posts
23 Feb 2017 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

well I would say that is pretty relevant info to include in your posts.as you 100% have a commercial interest.

burleighlocal
255 posts
23 Feb 2017 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

BTW...I had a demo ride on 1 of your boards the other day. Was nice and it has a good plane.very light footprint and doesn't hold onto the water. (if that makes sense) Would love to try it on a glassy 3/4ft.

scott mckerc
WA, 283 posts
23 Feb 2017 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

Roger that BL

and glad you liked the board when you demo'd:)

Lucyloo
VIC, 139 posts
23 Feb 2017 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
scott mckerc said..
Roger that BL

Thanks for the post Scott,looks a lot of fun.Who is handling Smik in Vicco?

TAA
SA, 1118 posts
24 Feb 2017 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TAA said..
That looks like alot of fun....
Lets give it ago

This was sick
Had it 1 to 2f reef this morning and WOW
First wave it took off like a rocket then I started thinking, hope she hold on the turn....engaged the rail and it wiped straight around...no way....
Could believe it
The sensation I was feeling was unbelievable....
Running fcs 14cm fins
The fish is back.....

seabreezer
377 posts
24 Feb 2017 6:49AM
Thumbs Up

commercial interest ...? ! , Mr mckercher purely talking about his fin set-ups ??!! and how one FIN set-up felt better than another , what gives ?! .... not really commercially plugging in my book ....

seabreezer
377 posts
24 Feb 2017 7:11AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Scott , what size twin fronts were they - like XL ? , and what were you preferring , twin or twin with stabiliser ?

SUPbru
386 posts
24 Feb 2017 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

Great feedback - thanks Scotty!

fester
WA, 348 posts
24 Feb 2017 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
burleighlocal said..
So great review..sounds like you are starting to get a grip on it.it also sounds like a review of someone who is learning a new board. However on your Vimeo account is a SMIK team trip from 6 months ago with a bunch of SMIK team riders.. ???

Hey Burleighlocal anyone who has spent any time windsurfing or Suping knows who Scotty is, he's just giving some good feedback on his boards More pic's/Vid's please Scotty.

scott mckerc
WA, 283 posts
24 Feb 2017 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

Hey breezer.
Just back from another sesh where i tried with and without stabilzer.
def stabilizer the go.
was surprising how well it did track without it.
but just enhanced the bottom turn and cutback
quite weird actually in that it made the bite better making it come around easier?
fins are the 14cm MR twin fin fcs set that came with the nubster.

wazza66
QLD, 607 posts
25 Feb 2017 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

Looks good on the wave.
What model and dimensions on that board?

peguin
WA, 263 posts
25 Feb 2017 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

glad to see twins are being tested on SUP, love my twins on windsurfer but falling out of favor and hard to find a decent set.

scott mckerc
WA, 283 posts
26 Feb 2017 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

7'10x29.5 wazza
not a model yet as it's a prototype.
but reckon i'll stick with the name hipster twin.
scaling up and down now

7'8x28 and 8'0x30.5

Rango
WA, 668 posts
26 Feb 2017 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Could that be a reincarnation of the"Evil twin"!

NaluSurf
VIC, 23 posts
27 Feb 2017 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lucyloo said..

scott mckerc said..
Roger that BL

Thanks for the post Scott,looks a lot of fun.Who is handling Smik in Vicco?

Hi Lucyloo

We have Scotty's full range in stock and every SMIK available for demo - drop us a line - online@nalusurf.com.au - 0458 587868
cheers

Disclaimer - we are a shop stocking SMIK and we love em

supthecreek
2585 posts
28 Feb 2017 1:02AM
Thumbs Up

Scotty Mck, great post!
Loved the video, because it really shows the tight yet loose carve of the twinzer!
Ripping nice size waves, yet snapping sharp cutacks!

I used the "Big Twin" setup when I was looking for more performance out of my "Floater" board a few years ago.

I didn't need the small "stabilizer center because I used very long base fins in the sidebites.... they gave me drive and control but totally changed the tail action.

Those fins were Futures and haven't replaced them with FCS, which all my boards have now.
After seeing your post, I am going to revisit the twinzer path.... it's a good one

CAUTION
WA, 1097 posts
28 Feb 2017 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Scotty, long time liker of your boards and style. I remember back around sheesh must have been 95 or 96 buying your new to market Starboard twinfin timber top windsurfing board. SOOOO different to the norm we were riding in Gero, which was generally bananas which turned on a dime but were absolute dogs to sail around on and have fun with. Your thing got going early, blasted around and suprisingly handled decent grunty waves. The epoxy was stiff (smashed the knees doing massive jesus christ poses then landing hard), The twinnie made it skatey and loose, had some fun times on that board before crunching it, then having it repaired when no-one really knew how to repair epoxy back then, and one day in the car (yes also my fault) she blew up with a bttom bubble insanely large. haha

ANyhow, firstly jealous you getting uncrowded waves of that callibre. oh to live down south.

Secondly, i think someone of your knowledge these posts are great to get feedback on different setups.

Thirdly, to me the board looked a bit squirrelley. Did you feel in control or never really knowing if it was going to let go?
Can definately see the accelleration, prob due to that lack of draf from middle fin. nice.
Nice hacks you do man.

Coming south this weekend, unfortunately so is prob half of perth. hopefully get some waves somewhere.

scott mckerc
WA, 283 posts
28 Feb 2017 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks sup the creek:)

Caution. Drop me a line and have a go when your down.

you can form your own opinion of how she goes :)

cbigsup
454 posts
2 Mar 2017 5:26AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Scottie, Love your boards. Here's a pic of an 8'4" x 30.75" x 3.75" with FCS II MR Twinnies - with the trailer.

Works a treat mate!

FRP
491 posts
3 Mar 2017 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

Interesting post. What boards would go with twin fins? If using a stabilizer fin or "nubster" what size and shape should it be? I am going to try it with my Skate but will need to make a nubster from an old FCS fin that I have lying around. Once you go down the fin rabbit hole I fear there is no escape! Thanks.

Bob

scott mckerc
WA, 283 posts
3 Mar 2017 6:13AM
Thumbs Up

Nice one cbigsup. You were onto it. As was mark richards. The winger with the twin fin really does make a difference. Tried out a board with very similar dimensions but without the winger/hip and the magic wasn't there. It goes joy as a thruster but funnily enough became
stiff in comparison to the hipster.
here's a closer look bob of what's workin for me.

cbigsup
454 posts
3 Mar 2017 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks so much Scottie. I notice a thicker tail, softer swallows, the bump wing, and of course the double slots for the fins on the latest! What are the dims on the new one? I neglected the volume on mine - 104 liters which is at my threshold. But it is sooo much fun. Loose and fast!
Cheers
Cleve-o

Funnsurfn
NSW, 310 posts
3 Mar 2017 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like fun. A few years back Stuart Murray had a Twinny made by Greg Webber with massive double concave. Some may remember the purple machine. Was a radical concept which I suspect scaled down would work a treat. Way too big and slippery for me at the time. Fast and loose for sure. Keep the experimentation going Scotty.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
3 Mar 2017 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Didn't look like Scotty was pushing his boards but rather sharing a bit of stoke. Scotty's not like that.
It certainly wasn't like he was hiding who he was. His name was right there for all to see, and as "Fester" said, pretty much anyone who has paddled for a while or windsurfed knows who he is. The guys designed some awesome boards over the years and has always loved to share his time and experience.

Keep posting this stuff Scotty as it beats a hell of alot of the other stuff that's been pimped on Sea Breeze of late by some who have nowhere near your experience and knowledge.

..and for the record I don't have anything to do with SMIK but ride for another brand.

FRP
491 posts
5 Mar 2017 1:29AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Scott

Not sure if these will work. I got two small fins out of an old FCS fin. Will see how they go. They look a bit small but are bigger than the "nubsters" that I could find on line.

Bob

colas
4993 posts
5 Mar 2017 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FRP said..
Not sure if these will work. I got two small fins out of an old FCS fin. Will see how they go. They look a bit small but are bigger than the "nubsters" that I could find on line.

I have done this - shaping small trailers in cheap plastic FCS fins - is easy and work quite well. The trick is to reduce the thickness that can be too much for the smaller template.

What you must try to feel in the turns is if there are wobbles indicating that the nubster is mainly in turbulent flow and not efficient. In this case, making bigger ones with a smaller chord may work better for the board.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Smik Twin Fin" started by scott mckerc