Starboard Hypernut 8'4 v 8'6 comparison shots

Created by marco gribi > 9 months ago, 12 Dec 2018
marco gribi
WA, 195 posts
12 Dec 2018 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

As requested some comparison shots between the 2019 8'4 & 2017/18 8'6

I have not ridden the new 8'4 only the 7'10 but a few of my observations between the boards.
Apart from being shorter by 2" the rails have been thinned out, especially towards the tail. Also the tail has been pulled in, where the nose has been widened.

Biggest difference I found was that it is easier to get on the rail and turn the board for a lighter weight rider.

Top of the board

Bottom of board

Tail Comparisons

Rail Thickness

Cheers,
Marco

Linkus
52 posts
12 Dec 2018 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Marco,
say to us something more about the Hyper Nut 7'10.... I have a great dilemma.
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/New-board-dilemma-for-next-year--Shroom-8-3-or-Hypernut-7-10-?page=1#7

MickMc
VIC, 452 posts
13 Dec 2018 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Great thanks for that Marco. Certainly looks like some well thought out changes on the new Hypernuts. The 8'6 is hands down the best all round board I've had and it looks like I might have to upgrade. Or maybe I'll keep my 8'6 and get a 7'10 to go with it. Demo trailer coming to Torquay in the next month or so?

Auswind
WA, 398 posts
Site Sponsor
13 Dec 2018 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickMc said..
Great thanks for that Marco. Certainly looks like some well thought out changes on the new Hypernuts. The 8'6 is hands down the best all round board I've had and it looks like I might have to upgrade. Or maybe I'll keep my 8'6 and get a 7'10 to go with it. Demo trailer coming to Torquay in the next month or so?

Hi MickMc,

The Demo trailer is currently at the Zu in St Kilda but no plans for it to head down to Torquay unfortunately.
My understanding is that it is being picked up on the 18th from the Zu and then being stored for us for a period.

Unfortunately there is no 7'10, only the 8'4 in the trailer.

If it works for you, grab it from the Zu for a blast

Cheers,
Marco

Auswind
WA, 398 posts
Site Sponsor
13 Dec 2018 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Linkus said..
Hi Marco,
say to us something more about the Hyper Nut 7'10.... I have a great dilemma.
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/New-board-dilemma-for-next-year--Shroom-8-3-or-Hypernut-7-10-?page=1#7

Hi Carlo,

Firstly, I know nothing about the Shroom so cannot make any real experience comparisons.

I have made a few comments on the Starboard website on the new 7'10, link below at the bottom of the page.
sup.star-board.com/2019-products/2019-hypernut-foil/

In the past I rode the smaller 7'2 HN as they tend to work better when the size is matched to rider weight. The downside of this is that in the smaller sizes they have no glide. The popularity of the larger sizes is that they maintained good glide but for a lighter weight rider they where a little harder to turn and engage the rail due to the rail width.

The 2019 versions in my opinion have addressed this by reducing the rail width and profile, making these board far easier to turn off the tail and the mid rail. The board does feel smaller than the 8'0 but there is no sacrifice in stability through the widened outline further forward and the flatter deck.

Also the new fin setup with the smaller rears makes the board a little more responsive and fun through the top turn, you can really push it on the rail and slide the tail out. It does take a little more practice upon entry into a wave as it can slip if too flat, but you just need to engage the rail sooner.

Even comparing the 7'10 to the older 7'8, I think the 7'10 is a better more responsive board. I found the 7'8 a little thick on the rail and the board wanted stay straight too long if the rail was not engaged. The new 7'10 is simply an easier board to ride and has improved performance for a lighter rider.

In Australia we are still selling a lot of Hypernuts where this style of board has lost traction. I think this is due to the relatively longer length and wider outline that Starboard maintained over the other brands. Glide is important for early wave entry and most people do not want to sacrifice this for performance.

Hope this helps some

Cheers,
Marco

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Starboard Hypernut 8'4 v 8'6 comparison shots" started by marco gribi