Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Starboard element vs converse.

Created by dkeating > 9 months ago, 26 Dec 2018
dkeating
VIC, 253 posts
27 Dec 2018 1:17AM
Thumbs Up

Any reviews on people that have tried both these boards.
Element 9.8 X 30 152l
Converse 9.0 X 30 142l.
I currently have a 2010 element and 2017 hypernut 7.8.
For smaller or slow fat waves I love the element. Like the glide an speed for catching these waves.
Have the newer ones changed much.?
Is the converse much different in glide/speed/stability/manouvability.
Thanks in advance for any input as I may upgrade.

Slab
1061 posts
27 Dec 2018 5:02AM
Thumbs Up

I think the newer element has a little less volume and diff hull design...double concave. Not really sure what the 2010 had under the bonnet.

Goodbye
QLD, 115 posts
27 Dec 2018 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

I've ridden both of these and liked them both.

My thoughts are that if you prefer longboard style riding go the Element, if you prefer shortboard style riding go with the Converse.

Both are deserving of a place in a balanced quiver.

Jacksboards
VIC, 181 posts
30 Dec 2018 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

I have the 2019 Element in Starlite currently in stock at my warehouse.
Rail profiles on the 2019 are the best I've seen on a Starboard.
Regards
Jack

Slab
1061 posts
30 Dec 2018 7:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jacksboards said..
Regards
Jack

Jack, can you post up a few pics if possible? Good to see the rocker of the board.....I understand thecshape has not changed at all since last year. Thanks.

Goodbye
QLD, 115 posts
30 Dec 2018 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jacksboards said..
Regards
Jack

Hi Jack,

i would also be very interested in hearing about the changes.

Even a review if possible ?

Cheers

Jacksboards
VIC, 181 posts
1 Jan 2019 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

Passive Spoon on nose area leading to a strong double concave . ??

Slab
1061 posts
1 Jan 2019 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like it still has a nice bit of nose kick in it...not too flat a rocker either.

thanks for pics....

Goodbye
QLD, 115 posts
2 Jan 2019 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jacksboards said..

Passive Spoon on nose area leading to a strong double concave . ??

Thanks Jack

Jacksboards
VIC, 181 posts
5 Jan 2019 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know of many other stand up board designs that have a passive spoon on bottom contour of the nose area ?

I was a little surprised when I noticed this on the Element at the warehouse the other day.

Perhaps more boards have this than I am aware.

The only other board I have seen with this is a Malibu I used to occasionally ride as a teenager at Pines in the 1980's, the family I used to borrow the board from shared the principles of this design with ease.

As I'm not a Malibu rider is this is a common design in nose riding style boards ?

colas
4986 posts
5 Jan 2019 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jacksboards said..
As I'm not a Malibu rider is this is a common design in nose riding style boards ?

Yes, most good SUP noseriders have them, except maybe the ones designed for fast waves.

Slab
1061 posts
5 Jan 2019 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jacksboards said..
Does anyone know of many other stand up board designs that have a passive spoon on bottom contour of the nose area ?

I was a little surprised when I noticed this on the Element at the warehouse the other day.

Perhaps more boards have this than I am aware.

The only other board I have seen with this is a Malibu I used to occasionally ride as a teenager at Pines in the 1980's, the family I used to borrow the board from shared the principles of this design with ease.

My JP widebody 8ft 8 has a subtle concave in the nose plus so does the 9,11Longboard SUP I have from a small SUP company. I think it simply helps lift up the nose on take off but it also takes a bit of volume out which has benefits paddling through waves and of course a little swing weight....not to mention helping noseriding/ cheater fives.

Funnily, my noseriding board....JL Striker 9,5 doesn't have any concave at all....it still works fine but would be better with one.

My friend had an older style element and he said it was the best noseriding board he ever had! The Element isn't marketed as a noserider but a board for lighter riders ......crazy as the template, design, rails tail etc would suggest it is a really good longboard shape capable of big and small surf.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Starboard element vs converse." started by dkeating