Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Starboard hypernut 8'6"

Created by rgmacca > 9 months ago, 4 Oct 2017
rgmacca
392 posts
4 Oct 2017 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

Hi
just a quick review of why I bought this board.
Im 50+ , 80kgs, intermediate.

I bought this board for stability on windy, choppy days.
I wanted a board that could be easy to move on to a wave, and not fall of while waiting for waves.

Had ad a lot of sessions on it now, in a variety of conditions.
I must say it does work very well in windy chop
I was out other day on a windy on shore day, with nice 4' swell. It was hard paddling out so spent most of paddle out on knees due to wind, once out stability was great. Managed to catch loads of waves.

Its ts a big board, and feels it on the wave, but everything is a compromise and wave count makes up for it.
A happy supper :)

Supted
NSW, 9 posts
5 Oct 2017 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Gday rgmacca nice to meet a fellow hypernut good review.im on the 9' & is my go to on 1' up to overhead ,I'm 59 & 80 kg running S9 stealth shapers in the front & 4" stealth rears good drive & responsive compared to the stock fins. What's your fin of choice

rgmacca
392 posts
7 Oct 2017 4:16AM
Thumbs Up

I'm just on the standard set up.
Have not thought about a fin change. How do the different fin changes affect performance?

Good boards as as you get on in years

kayd
SA, 20 posts
7 Oct 2017 7:34AM
Thumbs Up

I have just purchased 2018 8ft HN my self hasn't arrived yet can't wait to try it out

Supted
NSW, 9 posts
7 Oct 2017 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

I find the shapers stealth livens up the board & the rail realeses easier in sucky waves.but we all surf different,you need to experiment & read up ,there's a lot of information from the fin manufactures,& some board shops have demo fins ,it's a lot of fun trying different fins so good luck

805StandUp
128 posts
12 Oct 2017 2:25AM
Thumbs Up

I have been surfing the 7'4 Hypernut for a little over a month and find it to be an amazing board! In fact, recently I had more fun in small 1-2.5' waves than I have ever had. Whereas on my longboard SUP I would have caught the waves and maybe got a turn or two in if I am lucky, on the Hypernut I stayed inside caught the waves late and took lots of turns. What fun!

rgmacca
392 posts
12 Oct 2017 2:18PM
Thumbs Up

I did a comparison between my 10' starboard stylemaster and the HN 8'6". Different styles I know.

i had loads more fun on the HN, much easier to catch waves, throw it around a lot more.
More wave time which is important to me, as I like it at quieter spots, don't like the competitive line up so take the waves not as good to get more rides in. Better stability for positioning .

The Stylemaster is good on the right day , and can't beat a long board session.

Thanks for fin advice, will do a bit of research.
Cheers.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Starboard hypernut 8'6"" started by rgmacca