Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Sunova Point Break

Created by ARichards > 9 months ago, 29 May 2020
ARichards
VIC, 91 posts
29 May 2020 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

This thread won't be as exciting or well written as Nozza's board build threads. But here goes.

I nearly ordered a Search 12 x 30 a couple of years ago. But didn't end up getting one.

Followed and enjoyed Nozza's threads on his Search board builds.

Liked the idea of a big board for some cruising and riding waves.

Over the past year I did like the Sunova Point Break thread by STC. Read it and watched the YouTube videos quite a few times. Never really entered my mind to actually get one. See - www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/Sunova-s-new-weapon--RbGar-s-custom--moves-the-needle-on-12--Surf-SUPs

I liked how the 32 wide board does seem to just work. I do tend to use longer SUP's for surfing. All my boards have been 30 wide, and I thought 32 isn't really necessary. But this boards specs just looked good.

Anyway, got keen again a few weeks ago and sent email to Sunova. Sent this very basic scribble for colours

ARichards
VIC, 91 posts
29 May 2020 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

So after a few emails back and forth, I received this from Martin. A first spec sheet, just to get an idea.

ARichards
VIC, 91 posts
29 May 2020 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

I now wasn't sure if I should get a colour or get it stock wood finish. Martin sent me this pic below. Once I saw this pic, I decided to stay with the idea of getting colour. It's using the TR3 construction.

ARichards
VIC, 91 posts
29 May 2020 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Changed a couple of things, and now have an idea of what it will look like.

The spec sheet below has a few small cosmetic updates, such as the rails are now Yellow and Blue (not Gold anymore)

Mine has the addition of a mast track for windsurfing.

ARichards
VIC, 91 posts
29 May 2020 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Got some pics today. It now actually exists. It's suppose to be laminated tomorrow.

supthecreek
2583 posts
29 May 2020 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

Loving the colors.... this is going to turn out amazing!

I think you are going to be quite surprised how much the added width actually loosens the board up.....
great curvy hips, make it a real rock and roller!!

LucBenac
431 posts
30 May 2020 4:34AM
Thumbs Up

The ability of Sunova to work with and deliver custom boards is very attractive....I am assuming that you can sneak the board into a container going to a distributor or otherwise the shipping cost would kill it.
This is one more exemple after seing the Dryftwood for Burchas.....

justaddwater
NSW, 674 posts
30 May 2020 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LucBenac said..
The ability of Sunova to work with and deliver custom boards is very attractive....I am assuming that you can sneak the board into a container going to a distributor or otherwise the shipping cost would kill it.
This is one more exemple after seing the Dryftwood for Burchas.....

Arichards im a bit confused! Is it a search or point break ?pics show search tail and 30 measurement ,my understanding is the point break was to stay at 32 wide?,but build pics show point break tail,it appears they will customise! The board looks amazing!!! Point break @ 30 wide looks the goods,definitely on the radar.

Ishie
NSW, 48 posts
30 May 2020 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

Looks very cool. So, from the specs it looks like you went for the 30" wide in the end?

ARichards
VIC, 91 posts
30 May 2020 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ishie said..
Looks very cool. So, from the specs it looks like you went for the 30" wide in the end?

It's 32 wide. The 30 is just written on the Search's spec sheet (This spec sheet is for the artwork only) I did also ask about this when I first saw the spec sheet. But their CNC machine cuts out the correct dimensions when the Point Break is entered.

Nozza
VIC, 2835 posts
30 May 2020 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

Love it!
Great to see another custom creation.

Tardy
4919 posts
30 May 2020 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

looking good love them customs

ARichards
VIC, 91 posts
30 May 2020 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

On goes the resin/cloth. Bottom first.

RbGar
90 posts
31 May 2020 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Nice, congrats you'll love it, I'm about to go out on mine now!

SunnyBouy
473 posts
2 Jun 2020 1:30AM
Thumbs Up

Ohh... we do love a Custom Sunova thread!

All the best with it, looks ace..

ARichards
VIC, 91 posts
5 Jun 2020 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

In go the 4 + 1 fin boxes.

Dansouthcoast
NSW, 7 posts
6 Jun 2020 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

Hey I really like the look of these point breaks too... can I ask, did you email Sunova to organise the board to be delivered to your closest Sunova stockist? I am wondering if I should go direct through Sunova or through their board stockist close to me..? Cheers

ARichards
VIC, 91 posts
6 Jun 2020 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dansouthcoast said..
Hey I really like the look of these point breaks too... can I ask, did you email Sunova to organise the board to be delivered to your closest Sunova stockist? I am wondering if I should go direct through Sunova or through their board stockist close to me..? Cheers

I emailed Sunova because I wanted a custom board. They will send it to my closest shop. So you can go to Sunova or your closest shop. Price wise it's the same, either way.

Bye the way, I have no connection to Sunova, other than paying normal retail price for the board I want.

Aaron

ARichards
VIC, 91 posts
23 Jun 2020 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

Board is finished. It's being put on a container now, to be sent here. Can't wait

DaveSandan
VIC, 1364 posts
23 Jun 2020 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

That looks great can't wait for the action shots from the water!

ARichards
VIC, 91 posts
23 Jun 2020 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Might just hang it on the wall. Almost looks too nice to get it wet

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
23 Jun 2020 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

That's a piece of art

RbGar
90 posts
23 Jun 2020 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Outstanding AR, you'll love it! I put a smallish race fin in it for flat water and have found out she really likes a quad setup 105 or 93 fwd with pretty small 83 or smaller trailers, goes well 2+1 also but have found smaller the better with fins. Rip it up big fella!

supthecreek
2583 posts
23 Jun 2020 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Beautiful!
Can't wait to see some action shots of this!!!

Nerdburger
NSW, 286 posts
24 Jun 2020 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

That is truely a gorgeous looking board, awesome ??

ARichards
VIC, 91 posts
30 Aug 2020 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

I've had the board for quite a few weeks now. Have taken it out about 4 times. (I also foil, so have to sometimes keep the foil in the car.....which is difficult........It just seems to want to keep following me into the ocean)

Firstly noticed how nice the Point Break paddles. Nice glide. Picks up waves really early with a few strong paddles.

The deck pad is very nice. Its not too soft, and very grippy.

The board being 32' wide, doesn't actually look very wide. I think its because the plan shape pulls in at the nose and tail, so board looks quite slim for being 32' wide.

I got a short coil Balin leg rope for it, so the leggy doesn't drag behind me when I go on longer paddles. I used it yesterday, and it worked great in the surf.

The first few session, I kept the big 9' Orca center fin and I put some very small side fins I already had. I could turn it ok, but it was quite stiff.

Before the last session (yesterday) I put in a smaller center fin. I used a 9' fin I already had. Its the same length as the 9' Orca, but a lot smaller in surface area. It made the board a lot looser.

Quite surprisingly, the board has good speed on the wave face. It also turns very nice off the tail (with my current 2+1 fin set up)

Really carves.

I want to try it as a quad fin. Ill do that at some stage. I have been told it works well as a quad. It came with some nice quad fins.

Really glad I got this board.

I will try to get some pics, or some video from my GoPro

Aaron

SydneySUP81
NSW, 90 posts
31 Aug 2020 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

I have my custom pointbreak coming in a few weeks. Can't wait!

DaveBasher
SA, 196 posts
1 Sep 2020 6:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SydneySUP81 said..

That is superb- you going gloss or sand finish?

RbGar
90 posts
1 Sep 2020 8:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SydneySUP81 said..

What a beauty!!!!!!!

ARichards
VIC, 91 posts
1 Sep 2020 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SydneySUP81 said..

Looks very nice.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Sunova Point Break" started by ARichards