Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Sunova Shroom

Created by CaptainJimbo > 9 months ago, 20 Jul 2017
CaptainJimbo
160 posts
20 Jul 2017 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Hi SUP'ers, anyone out there ridden both the Speeed and the Shroom? I'm still looking for a SUP to complement my Speeed, specifically something more stable for those sloppy, small days. Does the Shroom paddle on to waves more easily than the Speeed? [Mine is 8'11"]. I'm getting older [and uglier] and the surf seems to be getting bumpier and less forgiving. I'm hoping the Shroom might save me going to an over-9' Sup. None to demo here [NSW Far South Coast] so I'm relying on others' experience and superior knowledge.
Thanks in anticipation.

thingsyado
8 posts
20 Jul 2017 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hi captainjimbo
i surf an 8.5 speed and recently purchased an8.3 shroom for same reasons as you it is a awesome little board for those conditions tino has posted a vid with bert talking about the shroom in the thread 8.3 shroom you will see it in board talk and reviews hope this helps

Jersey891
15 posts
20 Jul 2017 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CaptainJimbo said..
Hi SUP'ers, anyone out there ridden both the Speeed and the Shroom? I'm still looking for a SUP to complement my Speeed, specifically something more stable for those sloppy, small days. Does the Shroom paddle on to waves more easily than the Speeed? [Mine is 8'11"]. I'm getting older [and uglier] and the surf seems to be getting bumpier and less forgiving. I'm hoping the Shroom might save me going to an over-9' Sup. None to demo here [NSW Far South Coast] so I'm relying on others' experience and superior knowledge.
Thanks in anticipation.

I have ridden both- albeit one day during a demo day and i think its a good choice. The day i rode it was a washing machine and it was stable as a rock. The one thing you have to get used to is the concave deck. weird at first but i got used to it. I also belive it is way over finned for what it is used for stock. the middle fins have a huge amount of sweep.

supthecreek
2583 posts
20 Jul 2017 11:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CaptainJimbo said..
Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Captain!
I have had the 8'10 Speeed (+ 9'2 and 9'5)
I have 8'3 Shroom (and an 8'7 Shroom on loan)

Without knowing your weight/height, I'll just give my impressions of the 2 Shrooms as compared to my 8'10 Speeed.
I find the 8'3 Shroom as overall more stable, but it's shorter length adds that dimension to the mix... so taller folks might find the length of the Speeed easier, while the width is much easier on the Shroom.

I am 69 and 106 kg. 5'10" tall.
I find the 8'3 Shroom to be fairly easy to manage and stable enough for a 126 liter board.

The jump to the 8'7 x 33 3/8" Shroom is a big one.
It is super stable..... almost dock-like. Paddles easily and catches wave a breeze.
All Shrooms are fast and turn easily.

You must remember that the Shroom and Speeed are very different boards.
I prefer the 8'3 Shroom in small waves over the 8'10 Speeed.... but in bigger or steep waves the Speeed is the only choice, because the Shroom is a dedicated "Mush" board (or 3' and under clean juice)
The Shroom has a "speed limit".... up to that limit, it is super snappy and carves like a dream..... exceed the "speed limit" and it gets harder to use.

I hope this helps.

CaptainJimbo
160 posts
21 Jul 2017 6:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..

CaptainJimbo said..
Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Captain!
I have had the 8'10 Speeed (+ 9'2 and 9'5)
I have 8'3 Shroom (and an 8'7 Shroom on loan)

Without knowing your weight/height, I'll just give my impressions of the 2 Shrooms as compared to my 8'10 Speeed.
I find the 8'3 Shroom as overall more stable, but it's shorter length adds that dimension to the mix... so taller folks might find the length of the Speeed easier, while the width is much easier on the Shroom.

I am 69 and 106 kg. 5'10" tall.
I find the 8'3 Shroom to be fairly easy to manage and stable enough for a 126 liter board.

The jump to the 8'7 x 33 3/8" Shroom is a big one.
It is super stable..... almost dock-like. Paddles easily and catches wave a breeze.
All Shrooms are fast and turn easily.

You must remember that the Shroom and Speeed are very different boards.
I prefer the 8'3 Shroom in small waves over the 8'10 Speeed.... but in bigger or steep waves the Speeed is the only choice, because the Shroom is a dedicated "Mush" board (or 3' and under clean juice)
The Shroom has a "speed limit".... up to that limit, it is super snappy and carves like a dream..... exceed the "speed limit" and it gets harder to use.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Creeky. I too am 69 [fast approaching 70] but only weigh 72 kegs. About 5'9". From what you say the 8'7" Shroom sounds absobloodylutely perfect for me. I really don't like the Speeed in mush and, at my age, I really want to go out on those smaller days and just have fun without working too hard and getting frustrated. I might just have to sell my last mal [I virtually only Sup these days] and invest in one. If only I could demo....

CaptainJimbo
160 posts
21 Jul 2017 6:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thingsyado said..
Hi captainjimbo
i surf an 8.5 speed and recently purchased an8.3 shroom for same reasons as you it is a awesome little board for those conditions tino has posted a vid with bert talking about the shroom in the thread 8.3 shroom you will see it in board talk and reviews hope this helps

Thanks Thingsyado. I've seen your post and the Bert one. It's what sent me on this journey. Cheers mate!

SunnyBouy
473 posts
21 Jul 2017 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

I've got an 8'10 Speeed and love it for any conditions except high water mush, so I've borrowed an 8'3 Shroom to try out.

So far only light days have been here, I've found it a bit of a slog to paddle if I'm honest, depends how far you need to paddle out though... it's very stable, turns very quickly, has a tendency to not want to turn unless you really commit the back foot to move onto the rail then it'll turn happily all day.

I can see see where you are coming from, personally I would have preferred the 7'9 to test, but the 8'3 is a nice board... big...but nice for onshore slop.

There is a thread about the concept and a vid and chat about the 8'3 Shroom in this forum..

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/8-3-shroom?page=1#6

CaptainJimbo
160 posts
22 Jul 2017 6:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SunovaBouy said..
I've got an 8'10 Speeed and love it for any conditions except high water mush, so I've borrowed an 8'3 Shroom to try out.

So far only light days have been here, I've found it a bit of a slog to paddle if I'm honest, depends how far you need to paddle out though... it's very stable, turns very quickly, has a tendency to not want to turn unless you really commit the back foot to move onto the rail then it'll turn happily all day.

I can see see where you are coming from, personally I would have preferred the 7'9 to test, but the 8'3 is a nice board... big...but nice for onshore slop.

There is a thread about the concept and a vid and chat about the 8'3 Shroom in this forum..

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/8-3-shroom?page=1#6

Thanks Sunny. I've seen that forum and it's food for thought. I'm interested in your comment "it's a bit of a slog to paddle". I don't have far to reach the waves but do you also mean it's a bit hard to get onto waves? I'm after something that is really stable in chop but also a Sup that paddles easily on to waves. How does the Shroom fit that criteria? Cheers!

SunnyBouy
473 posts
23 Jul 2017 1:08AM
Thumbs Up

Well, I've posted before that our SUP break sits on a sandbar 1k paddle out from the main beach (we very rarely surf the main beach, for the main reason our proner mates use it) the bar is a long spit with a large hook shape to it. So we have to paddle out across a channel that's about 200mtrs choppy water, before we hit the shallows of the large sandbar.
The Shroom will happily paddle through chop, onshore or cross shore side chop and through waves rolling in too, high tide though brings strong currents and side/on slop and it's this that the Shroom becomes a bit of a slog. I'm hardly complaining, but being used to either my Speeed or Flow I found paddling over on the Shroom a bit of a slog.
Its a wide board, and I think the plan shape is perfect for onshore 1-2-3ft sloppy waves. I've had about 10 surfs in these kind of conditions and it's really great fun, but the paddle back out does need a lot of committed hard paddling to get it through the backwash and currents we have here.
But I do think it's a great board, my mate had a go (coming from a 9'4 Fanatic) and is now considering buying one.
I would like a go on the 7'6, when the 8'3 goes back I think I'll nick the smaller one for a few weeks.

IMO obviously, there are plenty of much better surfers on here with thier opinions, hope you enjoy looking and testing one.. they're really good fun.

CaptainJimbo
160 posts
23 Jul 2017 6:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SunovaBouy said..
Well, I've posted before that our SUP break sits on a sandbar 1k paddle out from the main beach (we very rarely surf the main beach, for the main reason our proner mates use it) the bar is a long spit with a large hook shape to it. So we have to paddle out across a channel that's about 200mtrs choppy water, before we hit the shallows of the large sandbar.
The Shroom will happily paddle through chop, onshore or cross shore side chop and through waves rolling in too, high tide though brings strong currents and side/on slop and it's this that the Shroom becomes a bit of a slog. I'm hardly complaining, but being used to either my Speeed or Flow I found paddling over on the Shroom a bit of a slog.
Its a wide board, and I think the plan shape is perfect for onshore 1-2-3ft sloppy waves. I've had about 10 surfs in these kind of conditions and it's really great fun, but the paddle back out does need a lot of committed hard paddling to get it through the backwash and currents we have here.
But I do think it's a great board, my mate had a go (coming from a 9'4 Fanatic) and is now considering buying one.
I would like a go on the 7'6, when the 8'3 goes back I think I'll nick the smaller one for a few weeks.

IMO obviously, there are plenty of much better surfers on here with thier opinions, hope you enjoy looking and testing one.. they're really good fun.

Thanks Sunny. That clears it up nicely. I'm really hoping I can get a demo because she-who-controls-the-finances can't see the point of another SUP in the quiver. A demo for me and a bit of a paddle for her might just do the trick! Cheers!

Linkus
52 posts
24 Jan 2018 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Dear all, thank you, especially my mith Supthecreek, for the great contributes. Now my board is a Fanatic Allwave 9.0 Ltd, 159 litres, that is confortable for my weight that is almost 90 kg. I live in Italy and the waves are most of time, and especially during the week end, choppy, irregular, too big or too small, short... After 3 years I would like to change board and I have seen (only on web) the Shroom. For me, an office emplee of 49 years, I think the 8.7 for 142 litres its ok. For the weak waves (my favourites) probably it's one of the best board but, the question is, for doing 3 or 4 miles in flat water is it suitable? I tried a Naish Raptor 129 lt and paddle for half a mile make me insane. Probably because the fin of the Raptor are too small. Thank you.

SunnyBouy
473 posts
24 Jan 2018 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

IMO 3/4miles is a long way to go on a Shroom 8'7. It will do it, but do you really want to do it? There's a lot of rocker on the board and it's designed for mushy waves (which you say you have) so it's great for that, but flat water I'm not so sure.
The 8'7 is a big board, I kept te 8'3 I mentioned above and I think that's the biggest I'd ever go with the Shroom.

Let us know what you decide.

FRP
491 posts
25 Jan 2018 5:40AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Linkus

if you want a high performance surf sup that you can still flat water paddle consider a bigger (over 9') Speeed. I flat water paddle my 8'10" Speeed a lot (I am 70 kg). It is not a fast paddler but it does track very well with the larger 105 stock fins. Some don't like the domed deck but it has never really bothered me.

Bob

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
25 Jan 2018 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

What about the Steeeze ?

Linkus
52 posts
25 Jan 2018 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

The Steeze is similar to my very very good Fanatic Allwave Ltd 9ft. Buyng a Shroom it's a really change. But i should consider the usual quikly changing condition of my little Mediterranean Sea. Especially in the summer the water is completely flat or nasty choppy for the thermical wind. So usually I paddle for 3/4 miles with my Fanatic Allwave for make muscle and breath. I can't manage two board. In the test of Supthecreek on Youtube the Shroom seems to have a very little row effect. Probably the Shroom because is shorter and larger than my actual board, is a little bit slower but it seems to go very straight probably for the particular racked fins.

Happyhaydo
NSW, 79 posts
26 Jan 2018 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

Hi I've ordered 7,9 version shroom I ride a 8,5 flow my pic would be the bigger size steeze over 9, or 8,3 shroom
the steeze sounds like a good all round board ??Good luck on your choice

KarlLQ
39 posts
26 Jan 2018 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FRP said..
Hi Linkus

if you want a high performance surf sup that you can still flat water paddle consider a bigger (over 9') Speeed. I flat water paddle my 8'10" Speeed a lot (I am 70 kg). It is not a fast paddler but it does track very well with the larger 105 stock fins. Some don't like the domed deck but it has never really bothered me.

Bob

Hey
I flat water my Speed 8'8" all the time with my gal on my Style 10'. We'll cover several ks no problem, even with MR twins in the Speed.

I'm your size.

FRP
491 posts
26 Jan 2018 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KarlLQ

Hey
I flat water my Speed 8'8" all the time with my gal on my Style 10'. We'll cover several ks no problem, even with MR twins in the Speed.

I'm your size.

That's good to hear Karl. I thought that I was an anomaly flat water paddling the Speeed. When I said it was slow that is only in comparison to all the race boards that are out on the bay. My guess is that it would paddle circles around the Shroom on flat water but that is only a guess and it would be an interesting comparison. You guys with Shrooms and Speeeds what do you think?

Cheers

Bob

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
26 Jan 2018 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

I have the Speeed 8.8 and it paddles very well given that it's a performance board . Sometime I need to paddle about 500m to 1km to get to an appropriate break and it's easy.

In terms of the topic and potential boards (if we stick to the Sunovas) the two best "short" board options appear to be the Shroom and Skate.
The shortest Steeze would appear to trump both for versatility .
The Flow also seems very versatile but based on Sunova website needs waves to be at waist height or higher.
But picking between a Skate or Shroom seems difficult without demoing .
The Sunova website has some detailed comments which may help.

SunnyBouy
473 posts
27 Jan 2018 1:15AM
Thumbs Up

Well yesterday I was out on my 8'7 Flow in knee high mellow waves, and that was great fun. So slightly bigger conditions today so I took my Speeed 8'10 and Shroom 8'3 along to put side to side in same conditions.
The Speeed had the speed, lovely mellow ramps and great stability and fast enough to pop out front and carve a neat bottom turn then floater to nice drop in and hard backside carves.. all a great deal of fun.
The Shroom was more a pivotal slash/burn ride, the take off was really stable and the drop in floaty, then the bottom turns were a little pulled in so I had to make the best of the wide tail to carve some slashy turns.

In mellow waist high with shallow ramps the Speeed has the edge, because of the speed. It just takes off and creates space and time for you to think about what you're going to do when you get out front.. left/right/slash/turn..
The Shroom will do all of this and is more manoeuvrable but stays in the pocket and not out front, so carves need to be tighter and slashy.

I have a break 700mtrs from the beach on a sand bar, the paddle over is often across a rip and both boards paddle over this admirably, the Speeed a little quicker probably because the length and width, The Shroom a little longer but really stable because of the length and width.

I love both, well all three, they are fabulous boards and yes I do often feel a cross over in some conditions but I chose them for thier ability to take on all conditions and I choose one just basically on the day and head to the beach.. the only time I'd definitely choose the Flow is when it's shoulder + and sucky.. but then I take that out in knee high mush too..

Flat Water cruising, not that I do much of that, I'd choose the Speeed every time.. In fact at my sailing club we did some racing around some bouys in a mini series and I used the Speeed.. it's just a little quicker and easier to paddle in a straight line.. it's still a wave board but it goes well in flat stuff.

Note: I bought my Speeed first, then the Flow and then the Shroom.

Choices eh.. oh the dilemma.

Does this help?

CaptainJimbo
160 posts
27 Jan 2018 6:18AM
Thumbs Up

Geez Sunny, you've just complicated to the nth degree. Thanks for all the info though. Looks like I need some demo's. Cheers.

Linkus
52 posts
30 Jan 2018 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

Well, I change question: which is the most easy of the three? Now I have a 159 lt Allwave, and chosing a 8.7 Shroom I decrease 15/20lt...I don't want get crazy on the line up...

supthecreek
2583 posts
30 Jan 2018 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Linkus said..
Well, I change question: which is the most easy of the three? Now I have a 159 lt Allwave, and chosing a 8.7 Shroom I decrease 15/20lt...I don't want get crazy on the line up...

I think the 8'7 Shroom is way too big for you.... it feels huge to me at 107 kg.
It really is a big board. I had one for a year. Even in winter gear it was big.
I rode my 8'3 Shroom much more.

For your waves the 8'10 Skate at 32" wide and 141 liters should be very sable an a nice performance move for you.
The Skate is a bit of a different animal because of the way it surfs, but it is the board I use most, besides my Creek.
Stable, fast and perfect for low power waves.
I find my 9'2 Skate very snappy and super fun to surf..... I love it.
Reminder...It does not do well in steep waves, because of low nose kick and flatter rocker, but in sloping wave faces, it is a ripper!

The Skate also paddles flat-water very well, so it will meet your desire for paddling when there are no waves.

FRP
491 posts
31 Jan 2018 1:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Linkus said..

Hi Linkus

I would agree with STC about the 8'10" Skate. Very stable. Below are a couple of short videos on the Skate (62yo 70kg). The first just a paddle out but gives you an idea about stability on the paddle out and the second a couple of short rides. With the wide tail this board picks up small waves well. Hope this helps. I don't have any experience on the Shroom.

Bob

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
31 Jan 2018 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FRP said..

Linkus said..

Hi Linkus

I would agree with STC about the 8'10" Skate. Very stable. Below are a couple of short videos on the Skate (62yo 70kg). The first just a paddle out but gives you an idea about stability on the paddle out and the second a couple of short rides. With the wide tail this board picks up small waves well. Hope this helps. I don't have any experience on the Shroom.

Bob

Bob that's a pretty steep wave in those vids for the Skate. Their tough little beach break waves .

FRP
491 posts
31 Jan 2018 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gboots said..

Bob that's a pretty steep wave in those vids for the Skate. Their tough little beach break waves .

Yes but I had to get out! Not ideal waves for this board. There were a few 'interesting' close outs. It seemed as long as I could get the rail set it was fine. Not much rocker. I have a Creek on order. It has a bit more rocker and should handle these little beach breaks better.

Cheers

Bob

Linkus
52 posts
1 Feb 2018 5:51AM
Thumbs Up

Thank you everybody, when i saw the Shroom i said "THAT'S MY NEXT BOARD!" Large, easy and for small waves. But, a couple of year ago, I said the same about the Raptor and i bought one making a great and expensive mistake. A board, for me, not so easy to ride and awful for paddling in flat water. After few days I came back to the shop with the Raptor and I bought a great Allwave Ltd. The real problem, in my places, is the impossibility to try a some board before buy. I continue to think about my next board.... My "happy thought" before sleep...

beached57
54 posts
1 Feb 2018 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

yeah, i bought a 7'9" Schroom thinking i could do it but it's just too small for me (i'm 93 kgs). i can paddle it, but it's not worth the effort. the 8'3" would've been a smarter choice. my Hypernut is only 3 inches longer, but 30L more volume. That board gets 99% of my time.

Linkus
52 posts
1 Feb 2018 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

You say the HYPER NUT 8'0" x 31.5" x133lt? Intresting.

beached57
54 posts
1 Feb 2018 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

yes, that 8'0" Hypernut. great in surf, big or small, ridiculously stable for its size. not a lot of glide if that's what you're looking for, but that will be true of any of these wider squarish boards. i never tried the 8'3" Schroom so cannot compare them, but based on shapes alone, it seems the Schroom is really geared for small mush, whereas the HN is more of an all arounder (though probably not best suited for double overhead and beyond).

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
2 Feb 2018 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FRP said..

Linkus said..

Hi Linkus

Bob

FRP (Bob), where is that?
I reckon you'll be safe in giving the location away.
Too far to paddle from here to spoil your surf spot!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Sunova Shroom" started by CaptainJimbo