Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Sunova Shroom

Created by CaptainJimbo > 9 months ago, 20 Jul 2017
Morgs09
QLD, 3 posts
24 Jul 2019 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

Wicked Boards! I had the 8'3! Too big for me! But the most stable board I've stood on!
I'm only 70kgs so im toying with the idea of the 7'3!!

Linkus
52 posts
28 Jul 2019 1:31AM
Thumbs Up

The launch is done. Not the best day in the year but some ugly, messy, windy little wave to try the new board.
I drop in the water a little bit more than the 8.7 but not so much. I'm very happy for the downsizing! Oh the Shrrooooom!

bomberdave
VIC, 397 posts
19 Aug 2019 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

Finally got myself a shroom. At 54 Y/o and 98kegs plus wetty I went with the 8'3. First impressions, its art! SO super stable even more so than my 10' style. Immediately noticed the lack of glide, but thats to be expected. Its not as 'nervous' as I thought infact I found it similar to both the creek and style as far as setting up position to catch a wave. Put it down to the rear fin positioning. The concave deck, I honestly didnt really notice it once on the board, did i say how bloody stable it is. As seen in many vids posted, you just look and it turns. I found it engaged the rail beautifully even in hollow waves. Super stable doing a few 'reo's" on some close outs.

My feeling is that in bigger, cleaner surf this board will rock...Im not too sure its just a mush board. With the lack of glide on fat slow waves take off is ultra critical. Has anyone played around with fins??? I had the rears set foward I think I should put them back for more drive and speed???

Unfortunately sunday was not a shroomday so it was back to the style. Got to say Iam loving this board more each time I take it out. The shroom is my 'slasher", the style, well the name says it all, the creek is still a got to...

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
19 Aug 2019 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

The 7'6" Shroom in action:

SunnyBouy
473 posts
19 Aug 2019 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

Great to hear you are loving your 8'3
Fins? No, though I have tried it as a twinser taking the rear two out... I personally didn't like it. And I've not tried any other type of fins in it. I had an 8'3 for a while, but now have a 7'6 and the smaller the board the better it is for slashing about on.
You mentioned bigger cleaner waves, well I didn't think the 8'3 was that good in bigger head high stuff, certainly not those with a big belly in them.. the hollower the better so it could launch into them... that's what I found. I preferred riding chest high and smaller and yes the the crumble. And m sure you'll enjoy it, IMO the Shroom is one of the most exciting boards to ride.
If you get chance to try a smaller one, take it.. The 7'9 is a fabulous board, smaller tail and very slashy.
I've worn out the deck pad on my 7'6 at the front foot

SunnyBouy
473 posts
19 Aug 2019 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

Oh!
Great to see those Casso/Marty vids

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
20 Aug 2019 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

They make a good foil board too...

Linkus
52 posts
23 Aug 2019 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

I have reduced the dimensions of the fins of my 8.3 using two set of same thruster lukely founded used. The standard fins are too big. In small waves littler fins make the board more soft and less sensible to the current near the beach breack. I haven't tried in bigger vawes yet.
In flat water the board goes completely straight and there isn't sensible differences.

bomberdave
VIC, 397 posts
25 Aug 2019 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Linkus said..
I have reduced the dimensions of the fins of my 8.3 using two set of same thruster lukely founded used. The standard fins are too big. In small waves littler fins make the board more soft and less sensible to the current near the beach breack. I haven't tried in bigger vawes yet.
In flat water the board goes completely straight and there isn't sensible differences.

Thought I might try the quobbas and push the middle fins back .. can't wait to get it in the water

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
25 Aug 2019 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

The 7'6" Shroom

bomberdave
VIC, 397 posts
2 Nov 2019 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

After nearly 2 months living the longboard dream on the 10' style it was time to get the shroom out as having bought it back in july I have only taken it out once!! Howling northerly offshore conditions mostly waist to chest high sets coming through, thought id get an hour out. Three hours later and some 50 odd waves i was in a daze of frothing bliss and leg cramps!!!! This board just rocks love the looseness, the wave catching ease, the board is rock solid even with my 98kegs on board. It opens up a whole new world of possibilities and a great compliment to the style. Its the only sunova where I have kept the original fins, they just seem to work for me. Sorry STC but the creek has been in hibernation for months... think Ill be on the hunt for a 7'9 shroom very soon...

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
2 Nov 2019 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Casso said..
The 7'6" Shroom

Amazing photos! How is the resolution and focus on those close-ups! What was the camera?

The board and your surfing look good too

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
2 Nov 2019 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bomberdave said..
After nearly 2 months living the longboard dream on the 10' style it was time to get the shroom out as having bought it back in july I have only taken it out once!! Howling northerly offshore conditions mostly waist to chest high sets coming through, thought id get an hour out. Three hours later and some 50 odd waves i was in a daze of frothing bliss and leg cramps!!!! This board just rocks love the looseness, the wave catching ease, the board is rock solid even with my 98kegs on board. It opens up a whole new world of possibilities and a great compliment to the style. Its the only sunova where I have kept the original fins, they just seem to work for me. Sorry STC but the creek has been in hibernation for months... think Ill be on the hunt for a 7'9 shroom very soon...

50 waves!

What size Shroom do you have? I carry the same weight.

bomberdave
VIC, 397 posts
2 Nov 2019 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cantSUPenough said..

bomberdave said..

50 waves!

Yes mate it turned into an epic session, its the 8'3 ...only 47 waves after editing the GPS info

SunnyBouy
473 posts
3 Nov 2019 1:26AM
Thumbs Up

Brilliant !!

kev7
WA, 132 posts
2 Dec 2019 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

has anyone tried pulling one centre fin out ie thruster style .

colas
4993 posts
2 Dec 2019 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kev7 said..
has anyone tried pulling one centre fin out ie thruster style .

Yes, keeping only the frontside fin should be great, a poor man's asymetrical.
I have done it with rear quad boxes, very fun in small waves.

Happyhaydo
NSW, 79 posts
2 Dec 2019 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

I've got the 7,9 shroom havnt moves fins around
what feel would I get if move fins forward or back

supthecreek
2585 posts
4 Dec 2019 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bomberdave said..

cantSUPenough said..

bomberdave said..

50 waves!

Yes mate it turned into an epic session, its the 8'3 ...only 47 waves after editing the GPS info

DAVE... heck I ride the 8'3 at 107 kg, you def need the 7'9

SunnyBouy
473 posts
5 Dec 2019 2:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Happyhaydo said..
I've got the 7,9 shroom havnt moves fins around
what feel would I get if move fins forward or back

I tried my rear fins in the back, it just sort of tracked a bit more... I prefer the quick tail turns.

bomberdave
VIC, 397 posts
5 Dec 2019 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..

bomberdave said..

cantSUPenough said..

bomberdave said..

50 waves!

DAVE... heck I ride the 8'3 at 107 kg, you def need the 7'9

STC you know Im no lighweight (too many TIM TAMS) and slightly skill challenged...but keeping my eye out for a smaller shroom thats for sure... anyone got a 7'9 or 8" ???lying around.

Happyhaydo
NSW, 79 posts
24 Jul 2020 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys my 7,9 Sunova shroom custom colours is for sale on this site one of awesome looking board !!!

ECSurf
18 posts
10 Apr 2021 1:22AM
Thumbs Up

Stuck some large quobba s in the centre on my 8'3 Shroom, similar to Bomber Dave. Getting another M centre on Monday so will try your setup next. video of my 8'3 in action in strong offshore wind:

.be

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Sunova Shroom" started by CaptainJimbo