Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Sunova Shroom

Created by SydneySUP81 > 9 months ago, 23 Jun 2020
SydneySUP81
NSW, 90 posts
23 Jun 2020 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys
Looking for some advice on which size shroom to buy? l am 40 years old, intermediate sup surfer weighing 103kg.
Not sure if the 8'7. 142L will hold me or should l go the 8'11. 160L?

Or is the Sunova skate 9'2 a better choice for those 1ft-3ft days you dont want a long board?

Really appreciate any advice

bomberdave
VIC, 396 posts
23 Jun 2020 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

I have the 8'3 at 124 lt and 55y/o, 96+/- kegs...plenty stable and wish Id gone shorter now. You will love the board, I would go 8'7 max. They are a super stable board.

SydneySUP81
NSW, 90 posts
23 Jun 2020 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you bomberdave, do the rate them as a good board? you happy with it?

supthecreek
2583 posts
23 Jun 2020 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

The Shroom is a big board for each size.
I am 72, 106 kg and I also have an 8'3.
I borrowed an 8'7 for a season and found it too big.
The 8'7 surfed ok and was super stable, so if stability is your goal, then maybe the 8'7
But the 8'3 will surf more in line with what this is designed for.
Here's a vid of my 8'3, showing detailed first paddle, for a good look at stability and first surfs.

Short Shroom look (one wave from above, but a decent look at how flowing it surfs

I also have the 9'2 Skate. I use it more than the Shroom, because it fits more conditions.
If surfing waves over 4'' on the Shroom, I need to scrub speed off, to throw a hard turn, because of the wide tail.

The Skate turns different from most boards. It is best when "banging" it back and forth... much like kick turns on a skateboard on a flat parking lot.
Video showing Skating an average day.

The 9'2 Skate and 8'3 Shroom are the correct sizes for me.
The Skate will paddle much better
The Shroom will snap tighter arcs
Both good, so depends on your goals

SydneySUP81
NSW, 90 posts
24 Jun 2020 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Thank you supthecreek, would you say the skate is a more all round board and more versatile?

if you had to pick out of the 8'3 shroom and the 9'2 skate for 1ft-4ft which would you go with?

supthecreek
2583 posts
24 Jun 2020 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SydneySUP81 said..
Thank you supthecreek, would you say the skate is a more all round board and more versatile?

if you had to pick out of the 8'3 shroom and the 9'2 skate for 1ft-4ft which would you go with?

That's a personal choice, both very different and each has it's benefits.
All I'll say is I used the Skate quite a bit more but that doesn't say the Shroom is lessor.
The Shroom actually out surfs the Skate, but the Skate fits more conditions.

My answer has always been "buy them all!"
Quivers are really the best solution.
I haven't owned less than 5 boards since the 70's

castawaycove
34 posts
25 Jun 2020 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

I'm 55 years old, probably an intermediate as well and 109Kgs but I am on the taller size so I opted for the 8'11 Shroom. It fits me comfortably. I surfed the 8'3 and it was small for me. I'm sure I could surf the 8'7 but I went bigger so I had a super stable board when I am in a wet suit. I love my Shroom, I grab it too much!!! Definitely, a condition specific board but I surf it in almost anything. It surfs way better then it looks like it will.

Steep waves are a no no!!!!!

The board is really fast so in fast waves you have to kill speed. On the flip side you can stay ahead of mushy waves.

My favorite non-surfing features of the Shroom is that its short (my next shortest is 9'7) and at 8'11 it is the most stable board in my quiver.

I am not at 5 boards yet but I do have 3. I agree with Supthecreek, if its your only board the Skate is probably the better option but I do love my Shroom. It makes so so days a lot more fun!

Happyhaydo
NSW, 79 posts
24 Jul 2020 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone just letting you know my Sunova shroom 7,9 custom colours is forsale on this site
if anybody's looking one off type of shroom

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Sunova Shroom" started by SydneySUP81