Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Sunova TR3 Construction?

Created by Hoppo3228 > 9 months ago, 7 Nov 2019
Hoppo3228
VIC, 744 posts
7 Nov 2019 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys,

Just saw SURFFX's video on the new Placid on FB...

New construction that appears to be Paulownia... on all 2020 boards...

Does anybody have any more info about it?

Tardy
4929 posts
7 Nov 2019 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

Hey hoppo....just looked at the vid too ...looks like a full piece of timber..rather than glued pieces ...other than that ..i don't know

I'm guessing it might be lighter .shape looks good and many fin options ..

supthecreek
2585 posts
7 Nov 2019 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

I talked with Tino about this the other day.
Sunova has always had a keen eye toward ecologically friendly products.
Tino is always looking for ways to streamline and maximize efficiency... while improving products with more Earth friendly materials.
Paulownia is faster to grow, stronger and easier to work with.

The boards will be similar weight to the Balsa, because the stronger wood can be thinner and still improve strength.
I believe that you can still order XXX construction, but you will pay more for it.

Yesterday, I ordered both the 9'1 Placid and the 9'0 Flash in TR3 construction!
I am super stoked on how they look!

As soon as I get them, I will be doing reviews on both boards....
hopefully mid January, if I can get Tino to bring them to the Florida SURF EXPO for me

Tino sent me some pics of a Speeed with the standard silver brushed carbon rails.
The rails also come in black, like the video.
I opted for the silver brushed, to keep away paddle marks.

LucBenac
432 posts
7 Nov 2019 8:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..
The boards will be similar weight to the Balsa, because the stronger wood can be thinner and still improve strength.

Tino sent me some pics of a Speeed with the standard silver brushed carbon rails.

That looks really nice. I am wondering if they can get the same seamless look for a 14'.

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
7 Nov 2019 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

that's a nice looking wood supthecreek!

Tardy
4929 posts
7 Nov 2019 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

We can call it a stick now ,cause its one piece

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
7 Nov 2019 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

Handle has also changed based on surffx website video. No more pull out handle

juniorburger
49 posts
7 Nov 2019 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys,

As usual we are a little late to the party with providing information about new models and upcoming releases, it's not intentional but unfortunately we just don't have the capacity of the big brands.. When you have 3 guys that do everything from design to sales/marketing and international distribution, throw in running a 300bpm production facility and something has to take a hit. Please bare with us as we are trying our best to make information available ASAP but it'll probably still be at least a month before we have any new information up on our webpage so I thought I'd give a brief summary here..

For 2020 there are 2 construction offerings in the Sunova performance SUP range, the original XXX tec and the new TR3 tec. As noted above the new boards are a Paulownia construction, these boards are light, durable and seamless, however they still offer great performance and flex characteristics. The Paulownia is a more sustainable eco friendly option as mentioned above.. Also as noted previously they come standard with ledge handles..

Surf FX was the first Aussie store to get stock and they exclusively ordered the new TR3 tec for this season, however if you're interested you can contact your local Sunova representative because I'm sure they'll have some new boards on the way..

XXX is still a current technology for 2020, we have just introduced the TR3 tec additionally to cover a wider range of customers and introduce a little more choice.. Performance SUP's will be available in both XXX and TR3 construction, 2020 race boards will be available exclusively in TR3 tec..

Here's a few photos below of some of the first boards coming through the line, feel free to contact me or your local Sunova dealer if you have anymore questions..

Cheers,

Dylan

Few Freshly baked TR3's coming out of the line

TR3 Raceboards

SunnyBouy
473 posts
7 Nov 2019 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

Being a bit of a die hard Sunova fan I wasn't too keen on the TR3 to start with. I understand all the Eco friendly reasons and that Balsa probably has been a bit of a struggle to work with and get hold of in some quantities.. (thats just a guess BTW) But the TR3 doesn't "look" like a Sunova.. or didn't at the first view on the SurfFX FB feed... and I was put off slightly...
However, since STC has posted a few pics I've sort of come around to liking the TR3 construction and look of the wood.
I'm glad to hear Balsa and TR3 are available for the forthcoming season, and I'll hazard a guess that as soon as the stocks of Balsa rescind then the TR3 will be the only available "wood"

A few things I'm not keen on, and I maybe alone here are:
1) the change form the iSup Handle which I think is both brilliant and unique on Sunova boards.. What I see now is a board that pretty much looks like every other board in manufacture today... and that makes the boards less unique IMO.. I know some of you don't like the iSup Handle, and I understand the reasons why you don't.. but for me it's a brilliant piece of design and I think it works very very well.
2) why the change to a single colour deck pad? I like the large 2 tone S that I have on my boards, I think that adds both character and quality and in the case of the TR3 boards would break up the bland look of the outline plan shape.. Its probably exasperated by the single colours on the STC pics, but they just look like generic deck pads now, a deck pad that you could get hold of from your local surf shop... yeah not keen on that lads.
3) black rails... this might be a little pointless comment from me but I really like the brushed silver and all the other brushed colours of the Flash etc.. single black again looks like it's cheapening the look of the boards, it might be easy to single coat black all around the rails but again it looks bland.

So my thoughts are simply based on the FB feed and STC's pics, I haven't seen one in the flesh yet.. So I reserve the right to change my mind.

What I'm keen to know is this: Will the "tints" that Sunova use still be available and will they looks good on the TR3 wooded boards? and will the Flash and Creek still be available in the brushed multi-colour finishes...?

juniorburger
49 posts
7 Nov 2019 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SunnyBouy said..
Being a bit of a die hard Sunova fan I wasn't too keen on the TR3 to start with. I understand all the Eco friendly reasons and that Balsa probably has been a bit of a struggle to work with and get hold of in some quantities.. (thats just a guess BTW) But the TR3 doesn't "look" like a Sunova.. or didn't at the first view on the SurfFX FB feed... and I was put off slightly...
However, since STC has posted a few pics I've sort of come around to liking the TR3 construction and look of the wood.
I'm glad to hear Balsa and TR3 are available for the forthcoming season, and I'll hazard a guess that as soon as the stocks of Balsa rescind then the TR3 will be the only available "wood"

A few things I'm not keen on, and I maybe alone here are:
1) the change form the iSup Handle which I think is both brilliant and unique on Sunova boards.. What I see now is a board that pretty much looks like every other board in manufacture today... and that makes the boards less unique IMO.. I know some of you don't like the iSup Handle, and I understand the reasons why you don't.. but for me it's a brilliant piece of design and I think it works very very well.
2) why the change to a single colour deck pad? I like the large 2 tone S that I have on my boards, I think that adds both character and quality and in the case of the TR3 boards would break up the bland look of the outline plan shape.. Its probably exasperated by the single colours on the STC pics, but they just look like generic deck pads now, a deck pad that you could get hold of from your local surf shop... yeah not keen on that lads.
3) black rails... this might be a little pointless comment from me but I really like the brushed silver and all the other brushed colours of the Flash etc.. single black again looks like it's cheapening the look of the boards, it might be easy to single coat black all around the rails but again it looks bland.

So my thoughts are simply based on the FB feed and STC's pics, I haven't seen one in the flesh yet.. So I reserve the right to change my mind.

What I'm keen to know is this: Will the "tints" that Sunova use still be available and will they looks good on the TR3 wooded boards? and will the Flash and Creek still be available in the brushed multi-colour finishes...?

Hi SunnyBouy,

Rest assured there is no plan to phase out the Balsa XXX tec or any of our Balsa boards for that matter, the balsa is our signature and something we will always stick with because of it's amazing properties..

The TR3 tec is way of covering slightly more price points as material, manufacturing and global shipping costs increase, not to mention currency variations, it just gives consumers more options based on their individual situation..

The liftSUP handle is a personal favourite of mine, but there is literally some people who wouldn't go near a Sunova just because of the handle configuration, this may entice more people to give them a try and the option is there..

Again this board is trying to appeal to a broad range of customers, plain and simple, neutral, generally is liked by more people than something thats a little more eccentric. Another comment we had received about the XXX boards was that they were over branded and people would prefer more subtle branding which is another reason for the pad change..

The black and silver rails were initial production runs, the standard boards come with a brushed bronze rail as in the picture above, this matches the timber nicely and the boards are very understated. We have also gone with smaller decals in bronze on the bottom of the board so we can highlight the natural timber look..

All TR3 boards will come in one standard look, so no differences for Creeks or Flash's colour wise, however these are still available in the coloured XXX versions..

Tints will be available one TR3 tec boards by request, same as the previous Sunova custom program..

Cheers,

Dylan

Tardy
4929 posts
7 Nov 2019 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

To me its all about the shape ..
placid ticks a lot of boxes ,i have a few acids ,yes they are tippy at times ,but great shape
i'm hoping i can ride a smaller size with the added nose width ,and still have my 125 litres .,and off course cheaper is good ,so i can have more

great to see more shapes come out of Sunova ..Dylan..

I will have a 8'7 placid soon .

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
7 Nov 2019 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
To me its all about the shape ..
placid ticks a lot of boxes ,i have a few acids ,yes they are tippy at times ,but great shape
i'm hoping i can ride a smaller size with the added nose width ,and still have my 125 litres .,and off course cheaper is good ,so i can have more

great to see more shapes come out of Sunova ..Dylan..

I will have a 8'7 placid soon .

Can't wait for the review

supthecreek
2585 posts
7 Nov 2019 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LucBenac said..

supthecreek said..

That looks really nice. I am wondering if they can get the same seamless look for a 14'.

Yup
Dylan posted pics above but I mashed them up with a 14' Search as well

LucBenac
432 posts
7 Nov 2019 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
juniorburger said..
Here's a few photos below of some of the first boards coming through the line, feel free to contact me or your local Sunova dealer if you have anymore questions..

Cheers,

Dylan

TR3 Raceboards

This is stunning EXCEPT wau too much red tint area. Need to see more wood, specially now that it is seamless. I wish my 2018 Allround would have the TR3 seamless construction just for the looks :-)
ANd yes the previous pads were really speefy compared to the plain ones.

railbanger
WA, 40 posts
8 Nov 2019 2:42AM
Thumbs Up

Yeay for the new ledge handles! Now just need Futures fin boxes and I'm in. What is the weight and cost difference between TR3 vs XXX?

supthecreek
2585 posts
8 Nov 2019 3:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
railbanger said..
Yeay for the new ledge handles! Now just need Futures fin boxes and I'm in. What is the weight and cost difference between TR3 vs XXX?

The "GenRation" line from Sunova has Futures fin boxes and ledge handle.

justaddwater
NSW, 678 posts
8 Nov 2019 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..

railbanger said..

The "GenRation" line from Sunova has Futures fin boxes and ledge handle.

STC,true,but no deck pad ,fins?,and from memory up to a 35% increase in price,superb product ,but I can not afford it.Just saying.So enter the new build ...the balsa and mini I beam xxx construction ARE Sunova as the lift handle,rail look,and other unique factors,not forgetting Berts designs.This is not meant to be negative in any way as I am a fan of Sunova,but I hope we are not talking about the time they changed,construction in a few years time ...in a negative way like other big brands hat are now struggling to sell boards because of failing products.....I know that Sunova have back there products when things have gone wrong very occasionally,I hope this continues and the new construction does not let them down,time will tell.Like many others I am looking forward to the disclosure of price difference.

justaddwater
NSW, 678 posts
8 Nov 2019 7:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LucBenac said..

juniorburger said..

Cheers,

Dylan

TR3 Raceboards

This is stunning EXCEPT wau too much red tint area. Need to see more wood, specially now that it is seamless. I wish my 2018 Allround would have the TR3 seamless construction just for the looks :-)
ANd yes the previous pads were really speefy compared to the plain ones.

lucbenac...not seamless I can see joins ...I'm sure they have this covered,re crease points ?

LucBenac
432 posts
8 Nov 2019 6:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

justaddwater said..

lucbenac...not seamless I can see joins ...I'm sure they have this covered,re crease points ?

Yes i can imagine that there woudl be some seams but the panels look a lot larger than the one in the XXX construction and showing some nice wood patterns.

railbanger
WA, 40 posts
8 Nov 2019 7:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..
The "GenRation" line from Sunova has Futures fin boxes and ledge handle

STC, Yes, thanks for that, I have seen those and they look nice. Great to see the new boards and feature improvements. Sunova is doing some great things. I'll be in the market for another board this year and will definitely be considering a Sunova. That 8'7" Placid looks tempting.

exiled
362 posts
8 Nov 2019 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

I like the cleaner look. Is the GenRation line gonna come in TR3 construction?

supthecreek
2585 posts
8 Nov 2019 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
exiled said..
I like the cleaner look. Is the GenRation line gonna come in TR3 construction?

No.... GenRation are XXX construction only.

@justaddwater
The GenRation line was designed for the Pro riders, who prefer wax and their own quiver of fins.
It makes sense not to limit expert riders, by putting deck pads and fins on every board.
Make no mistake, these boards were designed after much work with Sean, Daniel and Ian...
and they are shaped to win World Tour events!

They do size up nicely for big old boys like me, but I would prefer to choose my own deck pad and fins as well.
I am sure that prices on GenRation are higher to reflect the R&D associated with working with very best top pros for over a year, to develop these very special shapes, that kind of collaboration comes at a price.

I wish I had mine now, so I could pass on first hand information and videos.
I did spend some quality time with Sean, Daniel and Ian at the NY Pro and surfed some sessions with them.
The stoke that they have for these boards is undeniable... they were like little kids with new toys.
I did get to pick them up, give them a very close look and have all the details explained to me.
Amazing boards from what I saw on the beach, and in the water.

Hoppo3228
VIC, 744 posts
8 Nov 2019 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dylan,

Is Sunova offering TR3 on the surfboards also?

805StandUp
128 posts
8 Nov 2019 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

I saw Dylan already responded with info, but when I was in Thailand for the Sunova Foil Camp, Tino dropped off an awesome 7'11x29.5x102.8 Placid for me to use in the TR3 construction in a custom blue finish with white rails! It was gorgeous and super strong and as I understood it from him, it was more ecofriendly than the balsa in that it absorbed less epoxy. Great board--seriously thought of bringing it home! I did kind of feel like the nose was a bit wide for me and I could have gone even smaller... the reason I didn't bring it home was that the conditions I thought I would use the Placid, I would find myself foiling. Suspect the Flash or one of the Genrations would have suited my personal taste more.

Rossall
WA, 690 posts
8 Nov 2019 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

The new Placids look great I must say, I just wish Sunova would swap the box's to Futures or FCS2. Its a ball ache trying to find decent fcs 1's these days, had to hit three shops in Perth last weekend before I found a decent squad set

juniorburger
49 posts
8 Nov 2019 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys,

Just a reply to a few questions and comments above..

Yes Genration boards in Australia are a lot more pricey than the standard XXX or TR3 tec, this is simply because of the structure between Genration/Sunova, the RRP is just essentially the USD price directly converted, Sunova's are actually cheaper in Australia than the rest of the world..

In regards to price TR3 tec will come in 10% less than XXX so standard SUPs will start at $2099 AUD..

Yes in future we will be releasing a range of TR3 Surfboards too, probably not in performance shortboards, but definitely, hybrids, fun boards and longboards.. For the past couple of months I've been playing around with different boards and constructions trying to find the magic combination. For SUP we began testing long before so we knew what we had was good to bring to market..

For all the guys asking for Futures boxes, currently we don't run them as standard but you can order a board with futures through any Sunova representative for an additional $50 so if that's really the defining factor, have a chat to a dealer today..

Anymore question feel free to shoot them my way..

Cheers,

Dylan

colas
4992 posts
8 Nov 2019 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rossall said..
Its a ball ache trying to find decent fcs 1's these days, had to hit three shops in Perth last weekend before I found a decent squad set

What? the Quobba fins (FCS1) will put to shame all the FCSII fins on the market...

And if for some weird reason I cannot fathom you do not want to try the quobba, the best fins I ever used before were the (FCS1) Nexus H3, and the (FCS1) C-Drives...... and Quobba and C-Drive are Australian - and even WA for Quobba - brands !!!

SunnyBouy
473 posts
8 Nov 2019 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

See... now I like the look of the blue Placid ^^

Rossall
WA, 690 posts
11 Nov 2019 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

So at the end of the day which construction is best if I was ordering a new Placid XXX or TR3 ?

Hoppo3228
VIC, 744 posts
11 Nov 2019 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rossall said..
So at the end of the day which construction is best if I was ordering a new Placid XXX or TR3 ?

I'd say both are super strong - the TR3 is meant to be stronger than XXX, albeit with a (tiny) weight penalty i think... But it's $200 cheaper...

I prefer the look of the XXX, but maybe that's because it's the way I expect to see a Sunova.

In reality we are splitting hairs really - unless you go for a different layup on a custom, which would save lots of weight...

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Sunova TR3 Construction?" started by Hoppo3228