Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Sunova Torpedo 14x25.5

Created by LucBenac > 9 months ago, 20 Apr 2020
LucBenac
431 posts
20 Apr 2020 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

Tried and true :-)
Today, I had a nice surprise, Norman John Hann let me have his Sunova Torpedo just for me ??for a bit of a trial run.I went for my usual reverse Coffee Run, with the hopes that the inflow would picked-up for the end of the run.

1) Launched out of Britannia with some "glass" and it gave me a few km to get a feel. The board is really fast considering it is more dedicated to bumps. the nose goes nicely and the stiffness is likely helping with speed. With a pintail not much issue with release :-) At first there was a bit of a twitch until the legs get dialed and found the spot where the hard rail should just seat and then it is just plain sailing.

2) That was good preparation for a bit of light side chop, side wind quartering getting against the river flow and with the wind starting to build up on my left side. No problem there but will have to really see with some hard steep chop. With the hard rails on most of the board, that might prove teh Achille's Heel and then again maybe not.

3) Then I got into the perfect angle to catch a light downwind to the Blind Channel and the marina. First time on the board, pintail, 25.5 wide, sand bars, I was expecting to test the cold water of the harbor. I was really surprised at the stability and predictability of the board. It is simply what I call a well balanced design. I felt way more stable than the 25.5 Allround and I enjoyed this board without any comparison. It is easier to get on the tail than I would have expected (I was there quite a few times) and once there following the bumps for linking feels natural with no stability issues at all. Now I did not tried to get fancy or anything and no extreme cutting across steep bumps. Just enjoying the ride. I had zero problem with stalling and the board gets back into gear and speed with a few strokes. All I can say is that I was in a happy place even if it was my first time on that board.

4) Now, would I buy one. First I would need to know how the board in 25.5 is going on the nastier stuff quartering some messy steep chops. If positive. then most certainly if/when a used one become available (Norman John Hann, hint, hint ??). My first thinking was that I would go only for a 27" wide. But now I am starting to thing actually that I would go for the 25.5. Why. For the speed and fun factor in light and marginal conditions. I think that speed is an important factor in the enjoyment and dynamic of this board and I was really impressed with the stability and soundness of the 25.5.

LucBenac
431 posts
20 Apr 2020 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

Small video by my friend Norm:

ToniCachirulo
3 posts
6 Jun 2020 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Luc, how much do you wehgt?
I'm thinking on this board and not clear wich width.
I'm 87kg near 90, good paddler like very much bumps and waves.
Thank you from Spain.

ToniCachirulo
3 posts
8 Jun 2020 3:09AM
Thumbs Up

Excuse my english, the question of how much do you weight was to have an idea of your option.
I'm 87kg going to 90 kg, not years.
Due to my weight wich width of the Sunova torpedo Fast would you choose, to ride in the mediterranean sea, not ocean, but not a lake nor river.
Thank you.

LucBenac
431 posts
8 Jun 2020 6:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ToniCachirulo said..
Excuse my english, the question of how much do you weight was to have an idea of your option.
I'm 87kg going to 90 kg, not years.
Due to my weight wich width of the Sunova torpedo Fast would you choose, to ride in the mediterranean sea, not ocean, but not a lake nor river.
Thank you.

Toni, I am 77kg and 183 cm. The Mediterranean can be very different both in places and time. I have sailed there and remember some short steep swell during stormy weather. Norm - in the video - is closer to your weight but he is also a professional paddler and really enjoy teh 25.5. To have the maximum flexibility I would go 27 wide so you have a very wide range of conditions. But I have not tried it. Some boards are designed at a certain width and when that width is converted up or down, the board just does not work. I think that teh Torpedo was designed at 25.5 so I cannot say if the 27 has kept teh same fundamental handling and feel of teh board.
For exemple I have the Sunova 2018 Allround in 27" and love it (this is my winter board and for long outings) but I do not like teh 25.5 of this model.

Depentiede de tu nivel, tambien el 25.5 puede ser, sin ningun problema, y dependiente tambien para que lo quieres y donde lo vas a usar. Yo durante anos corria patines en la costa daurada.

ToniCachirulo
3 posts
10 Jun 2020 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you very much for your explanations.
Yes Mediterranean Sea can be very different in the same day. From flat to a big windy an big waves, yes I love that.
I'm a good paddler, and like surf, so if you think the board was designed at 25.5 if finally i can it will be my option.

Yo vivo en Valencia, seguro que sabes que est? m?s hacia el sur. La quiero usar para todo tipo de condiciones, todas las semanas salgo a menos una vez a remar, da igual si hace viento, olas, mar plato, llueve o hace sol. Para surfear tengo una Sunova Style, una gran tabla, la mejor que he tenido, pero cuando est? muy peque?o que no vale la pena surfear he pensado que Sunova Torpedo ser? un gran tabla, tambi?n para d?as de viento.

Muchas gracias.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Sunova Torpedo 14x25.5" started by LucBenac