Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Sunova acid XL

Created by jb1979 > 9 months ago, 24 Feb 2019
jb1979
NSW, 57 posts
24 Feb 2019 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone have any experience/background on the older sunova acid XL models, specifically the 8'11? I know that it was wider at 31.5 and 128 odd litres, but is it the same rocker,rails, plan shape etc as the current model?
Does anyone know how it performed, and why they stopped producing it?

Justin

surfinJ
663 posts
25 Feb 2019 4:15AM
Thumbs Up

This a custom that I finally had stretched 4" longer than the following drawing for 128l. I weigh 93kg and this board gives me sufficient stability to be used in less than perfect conditions if needed. And like all the Acids it rips as well.
A custom from Bert was not an expensive option. I don't know anything about the stock model as I wanted a quad, futures and the XL was no longer made.

jb1979
NSW, 57 posts
25 Feb 2019 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

Wouldn't be hard to spot you out in the water!

thanks for the info, yes people go on about the Acid, esp. in smaller waves, but I have the 8'9 flash for the good days, which I love, and the 9'1 acid is quite close in dims. I've found a 8'11 XL and the extra width would make it good to use on the bumpier days/smaller days. Just keen to understand a little more on it if I can.

bomberdave
VIC, 396 posts
25 Feb 2019 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

JB

I reckon SHQ in Sandy might have one Im sure I saw one the other day...

jb1979
NSW, 57 posts
25 Feb 2019 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bomberdave said..
JB

I reckon SHQ in Sandy might have one Im sure I saw one the other day...

I checked with them it's the standard model, not the XL.

Tardy
4919 posts
26 Feb 2019 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

Standard models pretty good ...is it the 9.1 ?
i reckon the 9.4 @31 1/2 and 136 litre would be a blast in choppy stuff .
they are good boards and do hold their looseness in smaller surf .
my new 9.2 acid feels smaller than my 9.0 flash even though longer ,but the acid is narrower in the nose ,more foam taken out of the nose
and has the foam more at the rear and centre .
all in all the 9.1 would probably be easier to use in chop than your 8.9 flash .it has the extra tail width .

Would of been interesting to try the older model ...... Makes me wonder ,do they improve boards shapes with each model ??

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
26 Feb 2019 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

The old Acid design has some interesting specs. 8'8 was pretty low volume

jb1979
NSW, 57 posts
26 Feb 2019 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

I emailed Sunova and got the following response:

The V00 Acids all had the same rocker and rails as the current V01 Acids.

Obviously the XL versions had a different outline as the XL is wider. in the end the actual outline was the same as Bert more or less cut it in the centre and then added the extra width there. meaning most of the curve was the same.

The biggest change from V00 to V01 however was the hip at the back. They got slightly more subtle as the tail got wider. This made the V01 Acid more confortable for most people, as welkl as opened up the range from liking mostly super bowly and powerful waves to less bowly and less powerful waves. You could say it is now a bit more maintstream.

It just made it carry better through flat sections with a wider tail! And having a slightly more subtle hip enable you to draw cleaner lines of the front door at their isn't such an abrupt change

But the XL did that anyway as it was already wider. THUS the reason to kill the XL version as the normal and the XL became more close.

supthecreek
2583 posts
26 Feb 2019 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, I believe the Acids of today are the more user friendly version of the original shape.
But having said that, they are very low volume in nose and tail.
Thus they need to be ridden bigger by most average SUPsters.

I have a 9'0 Flash custom.... meaning exact Flash shape, with much less rocker.
I find it much more stable than my 9'4 Acid, although 3 liters less.
Mainly because of the thinness of the Acid nose, but I am sure the flat rocker increases stability somewhat.

As a matter of fact.... I think I'll go surf my "Flatish" right now!
Cool Cat says "Surf's up!" as I write this post

thegreatsup
502 posts
26 Feb 2019 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hey creek, how are you finding your flash compared to the creek and acid? I guess with a non-standard and flatter rocker it's a bit harder to compare.

Had my 8'0 flash out in some great fun 2-3ft swell in the weekend. Must've caught 30+ waves in 90mins!
Out of curiosity- how do you think the new acid 8'2 would compare to the standard 8'0 flash? Both are very close volume

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
26 Feb 2019 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..
Yes, I believe the Acids of today are the more user friendly version of the original shape.

Mainly because of the thinness of the Acid nose, but I am sure the flat rocker increases stability somewhat.

Creek
I am almost embarrassed to say that I am on a 9'1 Acid at 62kg. But it's versatile in less than 3ft. That said I was 66 kg when I bought it for a steal.
Had a choice between that an 8'7.
Probably should have gone an 8'7 but at the time seemed to risky going from an 8'8 Speeed.

SunnyBouy
473 posts
26 Feb 2019 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Just an observation, I've never ridden an Acid nor Flash..
But a lot of folks are now riding the Acids in lower aspect waves and using them more in low push, waist high stuff..
Rather than the bigger/epic conditions it was designed for.

I had the option for an 8'8 Acid a few years ago, but I wasn't comfortable with the ltrs being lower.. so went for a Flow instead.

Makes me think an Acid might be the next purchase, after the excitement Tardy created with his custom I might go down that route.... we will see.

supthecreek
2583 posts
28 Feb 2019 4:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
benjl said..
Hey creek, how are you finding your flash compared to the creek and acid? I guess with a non-standard and flatter rocker it's a bit harder to compare.

Had my 8'0 flash out in some great fun 2-3ft swell in the weekend. Must've caught 30+ waves in 90mins!
Out of curiosity- how do you think the new acid 8'2 would compare to the standard 8'0 flash? Both are very close volume

At equal volume, the Flash is much more stable that the Acid IMO.
Mind you, I don't truly have a Flash, so maybe the rockered Flash will be make a difference.

At any rate, I feel the Flash is has pretty easy stability and the Acid is a challenge.

supthecreek
2583 posts
28 Feb 2019 4:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gboots said..

supthecreek said..

Creek
I am almost embarrassed to say that I am on a 9'1 Acid at 62kg. But it's versatile in less than 3ft. That said I was 66 kg when I bought it for a steal.
Probably should have gone an 8'7 but at the time seemed to risky going from an 8'8 Speeed.

I think getting an Acid bigger than you think is a good thing!
The nose is so light that you won't even notice the extra length.... but it will throw around easily

Tardy
4919 posts
28 Feb 2019 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..

Gboots said..

supthecreek said..

Creek

The nose is so light that you won't even notice the extra length.... but it will throw around easily

totally agree ,the 9.1 acid at 125 litre is a lot tippier to ride than the 8,10 creek also at 125 litres
so tail and nose width is the difference ,
i like the extra length of the acids ,especially for paddling and wave catching ability .
they alway stay loose no matter what size wave you ride ..I converted my 9,1 to a quad ,but it turned it ,too gunny
and missed slowing it down for turns ,so 7 FCS large thrusters are the way to go for this board ,so i never bothered to
turn the black acid into a quad ,because it is perfect as a thruster .I wonder if the creek would be good as a quad ?what say you creek ?
maybe not ,as i found when i was riding it in the maldives for 10 days i found i needed a smaller rear ...but what a board

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
28 Feb 2019 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..

Gboots said..

supthecreek said..

Creek

Yes I love the board Creek. But my volume to weight ratio is now nearly 2:1 which is way high . Losing a lot of weight lately as part of my cholesterol management .
Want to make sure I am digging in a rail.
I am thinking the refined tail and thin rails of these boards hep me despite the large volume for my 62kg

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
28 Feb 2019 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..

supthecreek said..

Gboots said..

supthecreek said..

Creek

totally agree ,the 9.1 acid at 125 litre is a lot tippier to ride than the 8,10 creek also at 125 litres
so tail and nose width is the difference ,
i like the extra length of the acids ,especially for paddling and wave catching ability .
they alway stay loose no matter what size wave you ride ..I converted my 9,1 to a quad ,but it turned it ,too gunny
and missed slowing it down for turns ,so 7 FCS large thrusters are the way to go for this board ,so i never bothered to
turn the black acid into a quad ,because it is perfect as a thruster .I wonder if the creek would be good as a quad ?what say you creek ?
maybe not ,as i found when i was riding it in the maldives for 10 days i found i needed a smaller rear ...but what a board

Tardy the board is awesome to paddle . Catches waves so easily . Infact it is so nice to paddle I would take it on the flats if I had no other board for that . At the same time the board turns onto waves on a dime even at my low weight . At the same time you have the luxury of the nose kick to
get you out of pearling .

Not sure if I prefer the 91 Acid or 88 Speeed. Both are awesome . Both feel like "butter" when shooting down the face

supthecreek
2583 posts
28 Feb 2019 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Tardy said:
"I wonder if the creek would be good as a quad ?what say you creek ?"

The channels are all you need.... a Quad would be redundant I think. Probably be very sticky.
But then I don't really like Quad setups anyway, so I'm probably not the right guy to ask.

Tardy
4919 posts
1 Mar 2019 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

In 1984 ,when I was a young surfer ,boards use to have channels all the way up to half way 3 on each side

too many really ..but the speed was unreal

this fade didn't last long as they got to hard to turn ..but to this day it was the fastest board I have every ridden .

5'11 ,so channels equal speed . .?.?

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
1 Mar 2019 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

True that Tardy!
One of my most favourite boards also when I was a young fella was a 6'6 Santosha out of WA (I think Bert B may have had something to do with Santosha?).
Anyway, it had six belly channels - I still think about how good that one was.
Also made me think about this photo of a Gash board...

Apologies all - just realised I've gone way off topic with this but yeah, love channels...

As you were!

Tardy
4919 posts
1 Mar 2019 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Now that's a classic .

Tardy
4919 posts
2 Mar 2019 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

ACIDMANIA.

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
3 Mar 2019 7:31AM
Thumbs Up

What a lovely couple. I wonder when they are planning to have a baby Acid ? I am sure Grandpa Tardy is already putting the pressure on

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Sunova acid XL" started by jb1979