Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Surftech Lahui Kai Mitcho & Bark Dominator 14's.

Created by surfanimal > 9 months ago, 7 Dec 2010
surfanimal
NSW, 1631 posts
7 Dec 2010 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

They arrived last week, were unpacked on the weekend and I picked them up on Monday.

Absolutely beautiful they are - here's some photo's and video of them both which I've whacked together as there is very little info available on either board online.

Adapt
QLD, 723 posts
7 Dec 2010 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Surfanimals, great review, just wondering which one of the two boards do you think has the best glide? Just wanting to know as the bark seems to have a more race kayak nose running into a flatter bottom, where as the Mitcho board seems to have a pointy nose (not the exact same as a kayak) running into a double concave.

Cheers

surfanimal
NSW, 1631 posts
7 Dec 2010 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hi mate, I had the Fanatic but had construction issues with it.

(Evidentially it snapped after it went back).

The Bark is similar to the Fanatic but a little sleaker. It is fast but I'd have to say the Lahui Kai had better glide and feels like to mows across the water surface rather than 'in' the water like the Bark.

The Lahui Kai picked up the smallest of runners to the point of picking up runners the 17' Naish Glide would not of had a hope of - that was impressive.

camo hosk
VIC, 613 posts
7 Dec 2010 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the intro to the boards surfanimals,

interesting stuff especially the Lahui Kai,

cheers.

Daneli
QLD, 1538 posts
7 Dec 2010 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

surfanimals said...

Wow, care to expand on that SurfAnimals. This was a board I was considering. Anyone else had these problems

paul.j
QLD, 3300 posts
8 Dec 2010 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

surfanimals said...

The Bark is similar to the Fanatic but a little sleaker. It is fast but I'd have to say the Lahui Kai had better glide and feels like to mows across the water surface rather than 'in' the water like the Bark.

The Lahui Kai picked up the smallest of runners to the point of picking up runners the 17' Naish Glide would not of had a hope of - that was impressive.

Yeah i would love to know as well, i have sold quite a few of these and have had nothing but good reveiws on the Construction!! so would love to know want went wrong? Even if you want to PM me if you don't want to post it.

Jacko

rodriguez
VIC, 883 posts
8 Dec 2010 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

Chris thanks for the reviews,great spot you live in.What price are they respectively,regards,Rod.

surfanimal
NSW, 1631 posts
8 Dec 2010 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys.

I'd really rather keep this post positive about these two boards and not be negative about the other.

What I will say is that I bought the 12'6 Fanatic and LOVED it.....I posted a reveiw on here a couple months back with photo's.

It had a blemish on the bottom which I noticed after first session which I felt was a small crease. I was told it was fine and a 'join' in the construction.

It didn't sit well with me being a $2,395.00 board so I traded it in at a small loss and it was re-sold and subsequently snapped on a 1 foot shorey coming in from a paddle.......at the 'join' on the bottom.

A mate also had the carbon model (as mine was) and after 3 sessions his grip lifted and bubbled. I wouldn't be happy in either case although I'm sure others having nothing but positive stories about them.

As for these two boards (Lahui Kai & Bark)....they are brilliant and around the $2,350.00 mark each.

Lobes
885 posts
8 Dec 2010 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Is the Lahui Kai the same design as the 14 Orca or is it a different shape and/or construction?

surfanimal
NSW, 1631 posts
8 Dec 2010 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

Lobes said...

Is the Lahui Kai the same design as the 14 Orca or is it a different shape and/or construction?

Different shape and construction.

The Orca is very much an allround 14' whereas the Mitcho Surftech is a bigger version of the 12'6 BOP.

Mitcho has thick / box rails right round and the Orca softens front and back.

These 2 Surftech boards do have a vent plug though - unlike other Surftech's.

Surftech's are high density foam and Orca is 'hollow' construction.

team
QLD, 3 posts
28 Dec 2010 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

I've heard different things about hollow construction. 2 that stick in my mind are "heavier" and "tippy".. Is this really the case?

surfanimal
NSW, 1631 posts
30 Dec 2010 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

I've only ridden the surftech one so can't compare buts it's not tippy at all...compared to the Naish Glide 14' for example it's as stable as a house and the weight is similar to the 12'6 Fanatic and not heavy by any means.

I rate the Surftech Lahui Kai extremely high. I'm sure the Orca and other materials used locally are unreal too, just not had the chance to see them in person or ride one.

Lobes
885 posts
30 Dec 2010 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

I've had my orca 14 for about 2 weeks now. The hollow construction does feel significantly different underfoot. It's pretty tippy, certainly much tippier than a glide 14. Goes like a rocket though, I did a short downwinder on it yesterday and was catching runners at will. I'm pretty happy with the weight, doesn't feel heavy at all. 90kg here

P co
WA, 457 posts
4 Feb 2011 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure if I missed where it is hiding but does the Lahui Kai have a legrope plug somewhere?
I imagine the glued or resined on leggie loop would do the trick?

surfanimal
NSW, 1631 posts
5 Feb 2011 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

P co said...

Not sure if I missed where it is hiding but does the Lahui Kai have a legrope plug somewhere?
I imagine the glued or resined on leggie loop would do the trick?

No. It does not have one which is odd.

I used an EZ Plug on a 14' Prone Board and a heavy Tyler Log I had and it worked a treat on them both.

http://www.surfcohawaii.com/product-p/a-ezplugrigid.htm

Surftech in Fairy Meadow NSW distribute them to Surftech stockists Aust. wide.

Simondo
VIC, 8019 posts
7 Feb 2011 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

SurfAnimals - get yourself a course, and a stop watch, and give us the Time Results. No turns. Just a straight flat course.

I can see myself on The Mitcho! Looks good. Let me test one!!

tomo77
NSW, 26 posts
16 Feb 2011 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

ok peeps,
Im looking at buying one of these 2 boards. Im doing my head in about making the right decision. Ive decided to stick with the 12.6. i am on the beginner side of the sport so am a little concerned about stability. My head says Bark but my heart says Mitcho. I want to do downwinders and other flatwater races.

Any advice??

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
16 Feb 2011 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

tomo77 said...

ok peeps,
Im looking at buying one of these 2 boards. Im doing my head in about making the right decision. Ive decided to stick with the 12.6. i am on the beginner side of the sport so am a little concerned about stability. My head says Bark but my heart says Mitcho. I want to do downwinders and other flatwater races.

Any advice??

Yeah, avoid the LK pop out hollow - my mate has one and he is not too keen on it for DW, I have ridden it also and not fussed either compared to the 3 other 12'6"s I have tried (DC, Deep & Coreban). The surftech version is possibly a better design however. The pop out hollow is quite unstable and difficult to control on decent runners - for a beginner particularly.

Have a look at the Coreban or the Fanatic, they are both wider and I found the Coreban really stable (as is the Fanatic apparently). I don't know a lot about these types of boards but know what I like when I paddle em.

Zimbo Reagan
WA, 469 posts
16 Feb 2011 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

tomo77 said...

ok peeps,

Any advice??

I have the 14 Lahui Kai and they are definetly not a beginner/cruiser board.

Yes it is tippier than other boards (probably because of the double concave) but expected that in a board that is built for speed.

You have to make a call do you want to race and go fast or do you want to cruise and do the ocassional recreational race. If it is the later then the 12 Naish Glide, Bark Expeditions, Laird Coast Runner and the like are the boards to go for.

Have not tried the 14 Dominator though but have heard it is a better flatwater racer than downwinder (but would probably still do a good job).

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Surftech Lahui Kai Mitcho & Bark Dominator 14's." started by surfanimal