Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

The Big 9'7 Sunova Creek

Created by London > 9 months ago, 20 Mar 2019
London
SA, 62 posts
21 Mar 2019 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

I am 54 and 95 kg
Was surfing a 9'5 Naish mana. Loved the stability but wanted more turning ability. I like stability in a surf Sup so I didnt want to go to small.

After some research I purchased the largest Sunova Creek . 9'7 and 160 litres. Similar volume as the Mana but I was hoping for more turning ability...

The good points
Im loving the board. Super stable on the outside while waiting for waves, even in choppy conditions. Turns a LOT easier than the Mana from the middle and if you step back even better. Also seems a good bit faster even in the mush. So all in all im very happy with my decision.

The bad points
Nothing major....
Wife thinks the green and blue is ugly....
Im not a fan of the lift handle and it is not as light as I was hoping for but still a bit lighter than my old board.
On the first day i didnt have a board bag bag yet, went to beach surfed anyway and drove home. Board now has two strap marks burned into it. Seems to be the sun. It was not super hot that day only about 25c and not on the roof for more than 2 hours max. Anyway my fault so to late now.

But ....all in all Im very happy with this board and glad I got the Big 9'7 size.

RbGar
90 posts
20 Mar 2019 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

Try a smaller center fin, will loosen her up a bit

Tardy
4929 posts
21 Mar 2019 3:48AM
Thumbs Up

Try changing all the fins ..7 sides and 5 rear .

supthecreek
2585 posts
21 Mar 2019 7:57AM
Thumbs Up

Hi London.... glad it is surfing well for you!

The good news? your wife won't be taking your board

Strap marks are a mystery..... I leave mine on the car all the time. Very odd, sorry that you had an issue like that.
Please send me a pic... I'd be interested to see the marks.

London
SA, 62 posts
21 Mar 2019 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Tardy

Give me a quick lesson on sup fins ....
Are they measured from base to tip ?

The board says it comes with 3x 105 fins. Is that 105 mm from top to bottom ? Or Area ?

you mention trying it with 7 on sides and 5 in middle

is that 70 mm and 50mm ? Area or top to bottom.

Thanks

colas
4992 posts
21 Mar 2019 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

105mm = depth = Top of the tip to the hull.

7 and 5 are 7" and 5" depths.

FCS had all the dimensions, including area, on their old site, but alas their new site has no more any technical info :-(

Future still have them.

Tardy
4929 posts
21 Mar 2019 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

The 9,4 that come with the board are almost the same size as 7" just a bit bigger ..but if you get a 5 for the rear ..it will loosen her up a fair bit
and it doesn't spin out .

London
SA, 62 posts
21 Mar 2019 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Great thanks I will try a smaller middle fin.

I actually broke a middle fin on my last board and was surprised how much better the board actually turned with a half middle fin. But when I took it out completely it spun out and didnt work at all. So it needs a middle fin .... but i think you are right, Something much smaller is all it needs to loosten it up but still keep it manageable.

SunnyBouy
473 posts
21 Mar 2019 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Don't forget a lot of the direction comes from the sidebites in the board, like the Speeed.. I found I could go really tiny fins on my Speeed without too much worry..

How did the strap marks appear? Did the straps "burn" into the lacquer? ie did they get really hot?

supthecreek
2585 posts
22 Mar 2019 6:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
London said..
Great thanks I will try a smaller middle fin.

I actually broke a middle fin on my last board and was surprised how much better the board actually turned with a half middle fin. But when I took it out completely it spun out and didnt work at all. So it needs a middle fin .... but i think you are right, Something much smaller is all it needs to loosten it up but still keep it manageable.

Yes!
The Creek needs a middle fin.... it loses all it's drive as a twinzer.
But, as has been pointed out ..... in moderate surf, it really turns on with a smaller center fin.

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
22 Mar 2019 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

London, I too went from a 9'5" Mana to a Creek.
I'm smaller than you, but the Mana never disappointed, even though it was way too many litres.
My Creek is just superb. Mine is 9'1" x 136 litres, so I could go smaller, bet then again I'm a bit older than you...and I don't surf as much as I would like to.

I venture to say that your strap marks are from the straps vibrating whilst driving. You may have had strap marks from your Mana, but depending what year it was, it may have had a matt finish and not the highly polished finish of the Creek (love that finish...) So you may not have noticed them.
Try putting a couple of twists into the straps so that you get a corkscrew type effect when they are stretched over the bottom of the board. This stops the vibrating and the marks that come with it.
Although I do have a couple of light marks on mine too...doh!
I don't like transporting the board home wet in a bag after a surf , but I like the marks even less. So I transport it in a bag all the time now.

I have also swapped out the plastic fins that came with the board and now carry a set of Von Piros 6's. Loosens it up nicely.
People think I can actually surf when I'm on the Creek!

Balsaboards N.Z.
90 posts
22 Mar 2019 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

105's at least on the outside.. could go bigger in slop , and never a 105 centre

Sandsy1
NSW, 814 posts
27 Mar 2019 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

All this stuff about fins. If you want to turn a long board, walk further back and stomp on the tail. Preferably on either side of the stringer to change to that direction.

DHUPEDNORTH1
111 posts
27 Mar 2019 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandsy1 said..
All this stuff about fins. If you want to turn a long board, walk further back and stomp on the tail. Preferably on either side of the stringer to change to that direction.

I hear you. Like when my bro was talking about upgrading to a carbon fibre bicycle for his weekend jaunts around the river. I said, why don't you just pedal harder.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"The Big 9'7 Sunova Creek" started by London