Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Walden 10'10" vs Mctavish 10'0"

Created by Wicko > 9 months ago, 18 May 2010
Wicko
SA, 2 posts
18 May 2010 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

Buying a place at Middleton Beach SA and after 30 odd years of surfing last 18 years on a Mal I want to buy a SUP. I am 95kg and have been reading up about the Walden 10'10" vs Mctavish 10'0", different in shap so interested in any comments from those that have riden both or either boards.

billboard
VIC, 2814 posts
19 May 2010 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hi mate I have owned both boards over the past two years. The walden is a very stable board and a nice paddler but not a great surfing board and not the easiest board to paddle into waves. The Mct is not as stable but paddles ok and gets into waves pretty well. The Mct has a very very slippery deck grip and the handle is in the wrong place making it a pain in the proverbial to carry any distance - it is however a better surfing sup than the walden. In my honest opinion a walden 9.11 is the board for you. It will support your weight with ease and is amazingly stable and a great paddler and surfer and its light to carry. Over the past couple of years I have worked in the surf industry and this is without a doubt the best fun allround no b/s board I have ever ridden and owned. My wife has one and it is the sup I paddle and surf 90% of the time. Sure there are more high performance surfing sups (Laguna Bay for instance) but for fun fun fun go and try the walden 9.11. It is honestly ten times the board that the 10.10 Walden is and I think the same sorta price. Hope this helps.
Bill

CraigS
WA, 5 posts
20 May 2010 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Wicko, no doubt you've seen the McT in Longboards at Scarb, but have a look in Stand Up Paddle Sports, rear 11 Howe St Osborne Park for some other tasty options.

Alternatively spend some time up here and have a go at mine. You know my size, I'm on the 10' Naish.

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
21 May 2010 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

Wicko, I have to agree with billboard.

I've only been SUPing for a few months on and off on a Walden Magic 10'10". It's been good to learn on, and paddles OK, and is stable, but it really doesn't surf well. I've ridden it in everything from 1/2 a foot to nudging 5ft. It's a boat for my 85kg. I'm hanging onto it to take the kids on flat water. As billboard says, paddling through waves is pretty hard on it (compared to my 9'6" Naish that pops straight over and through whitewater, the Walden literally ploughs and catches through any size wave). When you get going it struggles to hold a rail at speed, and the tail width makes it quite skatey. But, it has so much foam you could probably take the family out fishing on it, so it's not all bad.

I might have to try that 9.11 myself. Good luck.

cheers
Tang

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Walden 10'10" vs Mctavish 10'0"" started by Wicko