Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Waterborn Evoke or Atlantis Halo

Created by MDC74 > 9 months ago, 25 Oct 2015
MDC74
2 posts
25 Oct 2015 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys, first post here. Just seeking some advice. I purchased a waterborn illusion 10'6 12 months ago for my wife for flat water use. I also used it (mostly on holidays) and had plans of purchasing my own 10'6 Atlantis Halo very soon, but am taking a liking to the new Evoke brushed carbon from the SB warehouse, but they only come in 10' as the largest size.

I am 5'10" and around 90kg. I plan on just using on flat water for a while, but Im assuming that I will want to try it out on some smallish waves at some stage in the not too distant future. I originally wanted the 10'6 as it seems pretty stable to me from using my wife's, but given the Evoke is only available in 10', my question is would I be sacrificing much in stability by dropping to 10'?

Evoke seems to be marketed as an all rounder, so I am thinking this would be suitable for what I want. Any care to share their opinions?

Cheers

thedrip
WA, 2351 posts
25 Oct 2015 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

I have the ten foot evoke. It's my first SUP and its stable in flat water. It handles chop and swell pretty easily too. Having nothing to compare it to I say this simply because I can SUP flat water easily (I live near a bay) and paddle around in some solid waves pretty easily too (not so good at catching them yet).

The Halo, not that I know anything really, looks more flat water than the evoke though. The Evoke has a fair bit of rocker.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
25 Oct 2015 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

i would call the shop, the staff there are great to deal with and they paddle these boards in different lengths all the time in flat water and surf. I'm confident they will give you solid advice if the 10"6 or 11" halo would be better than the 10" evoke. Or vice versa.

I reckon buy urself a good second hand 12"6 race board shape, then get ur "wife" the new 10" evoke then you have flat water and surf covered.

yt04
QLD, 394 posts
26 Oct 2015 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

Hello MDC, welcome to the forum. They are both great boards and you can't go wrong with either. As Andy said, contact the shop and if you're local to the goldie or sunny coasts go to the shops and ask if you can demo them. Their service is awesome so don't be afraid to ask for advice. Do you have any surfing experience? I only ask because if you do, at 90kgs you can drop a lot smaller which is what we all end up doing with surfing sups. I'm 94ish and surf a 7'11 evoke, but i started surfing 30 years ago. I have 2 mates who are 113ish who never surfed previously and now ride a 9'4 last years carbon and this years 9'2 carbon and have a ball.

6" drop in size to 10' is nothing to worry about and I reckon you should try and demo the next size down in both the evoke and halo. The little loss in bouyancy will help in building strength and balance which you'll need in the surf as the water is always moving out there, and also better to turn on waves if you're keen to get into it. Good luck and happy paddling.

Breno75
VIC, 1 posts
26 Oct 2015 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

I've got the 7'11" evoke carbon . The 10' evoke would be plenty enough board for you . These boards are super stable in the surf and flat paddle really well. It would be a great all round board. Happy days

MDC74
2 posts
27 Oct 2015 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks heaps for the informative replies guys. I don't have ANY stand-up surfing experience. I will definitely give the shop a call, but living in Broken Hill, its not possible to visit and try these boards. Will be purchasing blind in time for our holidays on the coast.

Cheers

Rossall
WA, 690 posts
28 Oct 2015 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

As a great all rounder I would go for the 9/5 Evoke in carbon, you will love it great design, superb construction and remarkable value.

give em a call and ask for Jarrod

phil

MickChard
VIC, 183 posts
31 Oct 2015 9:37AM
Thumbs Up

Hey everyone,

I was in Nossa for 2 weeks a few weeks ago and hired the 9ft halo from the hire guy on noosa beach ... Ive been riding the jp wide body s Airborne 8.8 s etc and i gotta say i loved the halo ... Its was actually pretty fast too // ..

Little bit heavy, but all in all felt i could ride it in any thing ..

Haven't tried the evoke but I'm sure it rocks ...

Cheers ..

DericB
WA, 15 posts
31 Oct 2015 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Hi, I have the 7'11 evoke and at 86kgs and around 3 years of casual sup use find it quite stable in waves when the wind is moderate. I would say I am now an intermediate rider and probably that's where I will stay ??
when it's windy or for bigger waves I go to my fanatic prowave at 9'6 and 154l of float.

i think you will find the 10' evoke fun at first, but if you use it a lot and progress, you will want to drop to the 9'2 after a season.

however, if you go for the 9'2 now you will progress much faster and probably get a few seasons out of the board before looking smaller.

if you like supping then I bet you will be using more than one board in your time!

For the price of these boards, you can't really make a wrong decision and lose a bundle To switch.

Jungleman
NSW, 96 posts
26 Jan 2016 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Looking for more comments from anyone with a 7'11 carbon Evoke as I am looking at buying one.

I am 72kg and surf a 9.2 Allwave with ease, nice and stable, but I am worried about stability if I jump down to the 7'11 Evoke.

yt04
QLD, 394 posts
27 Jan 2016 7:16AM
Thumbs Up

Jungleman, no one else wants to answer you so I will but I've already commented above. Mate I'm a big supporter of the evoke and have had 3. All 7'11, first in bamboo then upgraded to carbon and then upgraded again to the latest model carbon. At 72 kgs mate you'll have no worries at all. I'm 93 and can paddle round all day no worries. It will definitely feel a bit wobbly coming down from your current board but you'll find your feet quick. The boards are tough as and turn great. Good luck.

Jungleman
NSW, 96 posts
27 Jan 2016 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that reply. Yes I should be fine on it I reckon. I am left to wonder how much advantage i will lose by dropping to 7'11 in terms of getting onto waves earlier. The board will be used on flat water occasionally as well.

So you have the latest evoke carbon, did you notice much difference from previous models?

yt04
QLD, 394 posts
27 Jan 2016 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jungleman said...
Thanks for that reply. Yes I should be fine on it I reckon. I am left to wonder how much advantage i will lose by dropping to 7'11 in terms of getting onto waves earlier. The board will be used on flat water occasionally as well.

So you have the latest evoke carbon, did you notice much difference from previous models?

Jungle, your current board will definitely glide better assisting for the earlier waves but I found I have no trouble catching waves on the 7'11 even with the Atlantis 7" Platinum paddle, which felt small at first but I love it and the shoulders feel better too (thanks for great advice Tim and Jarrod). It just becomes the norm and pretty well is my only goto board from 1' to the largest I've had it in so far is about 6'. I use Gerry Lopez gl1's in a quad set after playing with a thruster set and can't fault the set up now.

I reckon there was a noticeable difference for the better from the previous model. Feels faster, looser when needed and also more stable when paddling. Tim from TSW has definitely nailed the design and I can't rate them enough and are truely a great buy and a quality board.

If you're really bored and have 5 mins to spare check out my last vid here on seabreeze "fun in the spring time sun". The waves were really small and fat with the high tide but you'll see me easily paddling onto waves and throwing it around.

Pity you're not near the sunny coast mate I'd happily let you have a go on mine. Good luck, Whitey

Jungleman
NSW, 96 posts
27 Jan 2016 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that, how do i find your vid?

yt04
QLD, 394 posts
28 Jan 2016 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

Jungle, See if this works. Also, my two mates there with me, one is riding a naish mana 10' and the other is on last years carbon evoke 9'4 I think it is. Cheers

adamart
QLD, 58 posts
28 Jan 2016 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

I think that vid has pretty much sold me on the 7'11 as my next board. Looks like a great spot to surf!!!

Jungleman
NSW, 96 posts
28 Jan 2016 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

awesome video! enjoyed that .

EToriginal
QLD, 95 posts
28 Jan 2016 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

yt04 why are you not out there in those clean little waves on bambam? Thats what its for
Been a FN while since we've seen conditions like that up this way - endles fn northerlies

yt04
QLD, 394 posts
28 Jan 2016 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

Et, you are correct on both. I have to lose some more kgs before I attack the bam bam again, and have been having fun on the evoke. But I did wish I had the bb there that day as I haven't had a glassy day with it yet!

EToriginal
QLD, 95 posts
29 Jan 2016 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

yt04 you're going about it the wrong way around.
You need to get out on bambam and I guarantee those kgs will come off real quick, and stay off.
I haven't cut back on food or beverages at all, but remain around 8 kgs less now I stick to regular sessions on bbam

yt04
QLD, 394 posts
29 Jan 2016 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

Et, you are correct. Last time I used it the heart was racing. I also got really cranky as I kept getting kicked off with a corkscrew on takeoff and missed heaps of waves. That's why I've been giving it a rest and staying on the evoke. No blame on the board, but me at 93 kgs I'm really pushing the heavy side for its float.

MickMc
VIC, 452 posts
29 Jan 2016 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

Love to know the weight of the 7'11 evoke 2016 in carbon. Apparently they're lighter in the latest construction. Anyone weighed one?

xurfxup
NSW, 145 posts
29 Jan 2016 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

My 2015 Evoke 7'11 Carbon was 9Kg with stock fins attached measured on the trusty luggage scales.
Not bad but my Sunova Soul 9'5 is only 9.5Kg on the same scales.

MickMc
VIC, 452 posts
29 Jan 2016 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
xurfxup said..
My 2015 Evoke 7'11 Carbon was 9Kg with stock fins attached measured on the trusty luggage scales.
Not bad but my Sunova Soul 9'5 is only 9.5Kg on the same scales.

Thanks for that. Love the trusty luggage scales. Anyone with a weight on the 2016 model ..... the new construction is supposed to be a lot lighter.

yt04
QLD, 394 posts
29 Jan 2016 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

Mick, if you can wait till tomorrow morning I'll give you one. Sorry at work now.

gardim
3 posts
3 Nov 2016 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all of you who have added to this valuable discussion. I am down to two choices for my first SUP: a 9'2" or a 10' Waterborne Evoke. My intention is surfing Lennox Main Beach and Flatrock on smaller to 3-4' days (eventually). My stand up experience is with a McTavish Carver 8'1" longbord which I love and have surfed on and off for 10+ years in between riding kneeboards. With the shark factor here I have made thee decision to go to a SUP. I am 63Kg, and 67 years old with medium level fitness.

Any comments greatly appreciated. I actually took home the 9'2" today from the Surfboard Warehouse, Byron, but will wait on advice before taking out of the board-bag. It's brand new and could be exchanged. I would like to keep this board 2-3 years as am on limited income, so prefer not to change in a year or so, if possible.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Waterborn Evoke or Atlantis Halo" started by MDC74