Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Where have all the Sunova SPEEEDS gone?

Created by tannaman > 9 months ago, 3 Apr 2020
thegreatsup
502 posts
20 Jul 2020 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

I saw a speed yesterday at maori bay (my locaL break). Balsaboards nz will know that break well. i was out on my 7'2 hypernut - not the type of boards you'd normally expect to see out west!

Funnsurfn
NSW, 310 posts
20 Jul 2020 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
4SUPsake said..

Funnsurfn said..

Kami said..

Funnsurfn said..

lam said..

Lucyloo said..
The speed is still my go to board for all occasions.I use it as anoserider as well as a freestyle ripper.I have creeks,placids,style available but still go the speed.I will admit there are days when it just does my head in tipping me in but most times its rider fatigue or tricky conditions,all this is forgiven when you hook into a screaming forehand rattler,still struggle going as hard backhand on it tho.I guess from sunovas point of view if it aint broke dont fix it.I have the 8.8 &8.10 used with c drives,bloody fantastic.Ps if you are going to nose ride em with cdrives give yaself some room as they do quite like to let go into a 360 which is ok,tends to spread the crowd nicely.

I struggle going backhand with my speeed also. Never had a problem with other boards I've owned, sup or prone, not that I can recall anyway. Anyone got any ideas why this maybe, beside lack of skill?
Still wouldn't get rid of my speeeds either.

Get that back foot back and give it to the rail, tail, inside fin and channel. Plenty of hold.

Not the best quality shots but demonstrates back foot planted.

This is good to watch move like you did on that backhand attack. Did you made it down the bottom of that bowl
Thank's you for editing, make me frothing to get unlock soon ;-)

Yeah Kami, no probs completing a few off the tops on that wave. Very rare occasion my beautiful girlfriend took a few photos. Really good, uncrowded waves that day.
The bottom turn is a screen grab from a video the very talented Chappo took of Casso and I at Wallyworld.
I tend to use large fins on the side and smaller centre on the Speed. So much lift and drive??
i really liked how on edge it got on the backhand bottom turns. Not bad forehand either.
I have found that the Speeed is the best all round low volume Sup I have ridden. This one 7'3"x 24@ 73L. The ability to go short and Narrow without increasing rail thickness is such a good balance. I have used smaller, lower volume, higher rocker and outline curved boards. They may have gone better in some waves or parts of the wave. But the Speeed was so much more stable and faster to Paddle, any losses in performance far outweighed by ease of use.

Hey funnsurfn,
Ripping pics.. have a 10'speeed & looking to buy another as short as I can get to go a bit wild on was wondering how much U weigh & how's the bouyancy at 73litres 24 wide in comparisson

Hi, I am 47yo 174cm and 75kg
Speed is such a fun shape.
Enjoy

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
16 Aug 2020 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

I got my new 7'11" TR3 Speeed out yesterday...

Balsaboards N.Z.
90 posts
17 Aug 2020 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
benjl said..
I saw a speed yesterday at maori bay (my locaL break). Balsaboards nz will know that break well. i was out on my 7'2 hypernut - not the type of boards you'd normally expect to see out west!

the small days have been gold eh :_)

Balsaboards N.Z.
90 posts
17 Aug 2020 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Casso said..

same feel casso? %age of a balsa feel sorta thing ... ? :)

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
17 Aug 2020 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Balsaboards N.Z. said..

Casso said..

same feel casso? %age of a balsa feel sorta thing ... ? :)

Yeah - couldn't really tell the difference between this and my old XXX tech balsa one.

tannaman
55 posts
17 Aug 2020 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Casso... and anyone who may have this solved this situation...some advice if you can please.
I have a wonderful problem....joining a friend on a yacht in Indo as soon as travel allows. The problem, I can only take one board.
My main SUP board for all conditions is a 8.2 Speeed. Have a 7.11 Speeed which is a great board but only in clean conditions for me. (63 yrs old and 70 kg ) Ive been sup foiling for about a year and have a 6.6 Signature foil board 110 liters. Just started with a wind wing as well.
Im thinking of putting a foil track on the 7.11 Speeed and using it for supping, foiling and wind winging.
I have a wonderful Deep Miniun 7.2 which has been a magnificent board but has gained a wee bit too much weight from so many repairs. (Now 9.2 kg)
I see the crosover board for foiling and supping is shorter and wider than the 7.11 Speeed. Have you any idea how this conversion would work. I understand it may be too long and maybe Ill be sitting in prefect conditions and cant do anything well as all setups are a compromise.
Any coments and advice appreciated.
Tannaman

jrc22ski
52 posts
18 Aug 2020 2:03AM
Thumbs Up

530am dawn patrol on my ~5 yo 8'2" Speeed today. Board is so fun...

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
18 Aug 2020 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

7'11 is such a good length for this board and I am only around 60kg. Wish I could my foot right back as well as Casso. I would have to get a 7'3 and that ain't happening with my level of skill and balance

estingo
118 posts
19 Oct 2020 3:56AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all, reading this thread and one from 2015 about the Speeed and it's get me interested. in this topic though much different opinions than the one from 2015:www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/SUNOVA-SPEEED-85?page=1
ans I also found a thread on Standupzone where STC also was commenting, awesome to read.

Alright rider that's 37 years, 1,82 cm 80 kg on an intermediate level, current boards are a Quatro 8'0 x 28,5" @109 liters and for real wind and chop do I go to my Naish Hokua 7'10 X32" @121 liters. Waves that I'm surfing are mushy nordsea waves in the Netherlands, rarely clean.
In a bit of chop I'm constantly moving on my quatro because relaxed waiting for a wave is still challenging. For example to use some quotes from this forum, how I still feel on de width 0f 28,5" :

Select to expand quote
LordKuz said..
you might find that its a rather unsocial board, if you like to have a chat out the back with your mates - "Cant talk - gotta keep padding!"

Select to expand quote
Colas said..
Ah ah, so true! or "Dont come too close mate, I may fall on you" or "Sorry, stay in front of me to talk, I can't turn my head or I'll fall" :-)
We all know the feeling :-)

Anyway now my question at the Speeed, because I'm doubting which size I should take the 8'2 or the 8'5. Everyone is staying it's incredible stable for it's sizes and so on (on this thread are even some contradictions that people don't find it stable and a bit hard working).
So in other words just a nice new challenge and go for the 8'2 (or even 7'11) or take the 8'5 that's between my Quatro and my Naish with the 112 liters. The 8'5 speeed is still narrower than my Quatro (28,5") with it's width of 27 3/4.

I'm curious what will be recommended. At the moment are there some speeeds available in the Netherlands so I'm keen on getting one. Any other brand I'm also open for it and I'm even considering to work with Kami on a custom build, I made already some shape3d sketches.

Cheers and thanks for the replies

DiscoStupid
NSW, 90 posts
19 Oct 2020 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Estingo, I'm a similar age/weight/height to you. I have an 8'2, I'd suggest this would be your best bet. The 8'5 would seem too big, and 7'11 may get tricky in the conditions you have described. The board is very stable and a lot of fun. The only negative is that the wind starts getting under the wide nose when it blowing hard.

colas
4992 posts
19 Oct 2020 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

You want width for stability, but I would stay away from really wide noses at the tip for your waves, as they will plow in chop.

Try to get wide boards but with semi-rounded or semi-pointed noses, with rocker in front. Just as an example, the nose of the Sunova Shroom or Gong Mob is the widest I would recommend. And a wide tail, as it provides also a lot of stability, and you do not seem to have waves powerful enough to need pulled-in tails.

estingo
118 posts
19 Oct 2020 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..
You want width for stability, but I would stay away from really wide noses at the tip for your waves, as they will plow in chop.

Try to get wide boards but with semi-rounded or semi-pointed noses, with rocker in front. Just as an example, the nose of the Sunova Shroom or Gong Mob is the widest I would recommend. And a wide tail, as it provides also a lot of stability, and you do not seem to have waves powerful enough to need pulled-in tails.

That's exactly what I yesterday also was looking at after I posted this question, the Gong Mob 7'6 @105 liter and the Redwoodpaddle minimal 7'6 @ 115 liter. But I had the Fatal 7'7 @120 liters and I wasn't a fan of that because it didn't quite work well in chop, surfing was it second to none, more or less the same stability as my Quatro, always on the move and not I couldn't just stand there and wait for a wave. IF I had a wave with the fatal it was radical surfing and it turned on a dime!

offtopic because it's not about the speed anymore, sorry:
I think Colas you as a gong ambassador can maybe explain why the Fatal wasn't working so good in choppy conditions but the Mob will. At least that's what they also say on the Gong website. The Fatal is more for glassy conditions and the Mob will work better at choppy conditions but there is not standing why. I guess it's maybe the tail and perhaps the rocker line but I don't know why? My Gong experience is only the Fatal 7'7 and Alley 7'8 and a Karmen 8'4.

Ontopic: Thanks DiscoStupid for your recommendation, for the 8'2 I thought so as well that the 7'11 would be too much of a stepdown. I just need to consider if the board works in these Northsea conditions because I have my doubts as you can read above and Colas his idea. Nevertheless, I will definitely look into this.

colas
4992 posts
19 Oct 2020 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
estingo said..

I think Colas you as a gong ambassador can maybe explain why the Fatal wasn't working so good in choppy conditions but the Mob will.

Yes, but I will do it in a new thread, to limit the off-topicness :-)

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
3 Dec 2020 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Got mine out again...

SunnyBouy
473 posts
4 Dec 2020 5:34AM
Thumbs Up

Great riding Sir.
Dims for the Speeed?
Looks Ace!

SydneySUP81
NSW, 90 posts
4 Dec 2020 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

Incredible surfing Casso,l just got a 9"5 speed, cant wait to get it out there

supthecreek
2585 posts
4 Dec 2020 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Casso said..
Got mine out again...

Love it!
Question:

You are killing it on your little Speeed, love the gouging cutbacks!
I notice that your front foot is ahead of the handle most of the time.
I always wished I was 30 kg lighter so I could ride a board with one foot on the kicker and one on the accelerator.
With your front foot forward of the handle, you have to move to get to the kicker.... just interested why you stay a bit forward most of the time.

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
4 Dec 2020 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

711 is the ideal length even for midgets like me. Love this board especially when it's clean and not to hollow

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
7 Dec 2020 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..

Casso said..
Got mine out again...

Love it!
Question:

I always wished I was 30 kg lighter so I could ride a board with one foot on the kicker and one on the accelerator.
With your front foot forward of the handle, you have to move to get to the kicker.... just interested why you stay a bit forward most of the time.

Good question STC.

I find with any board over about 7 foot, my feet are too far apart to put enough weight on my front foot for acceleration if my back foot is on the tail pad kicker. So if I want to go fast (and straight), I slide my back foot forward and weight up my front foot over the flatter planing area of the rocker. Then, when I want to turn sharply I'll slide my back foot to the kicker and weight up the tail while keeping my front foot in (pretty much) the same position to help with steering through the turn.

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
7 Dec 2020 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SydneySUP81 said..
Incredible surfing Casso,l just got a 9"5 speed, cant wait to get it out there

Comp at Palm Beach this weekend - expect to see you there on the 9'5"!

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
7 Dec 2020 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SunnyBouy said..
Great riding Sir.
Dims for the Speeed?
Looks Ace!

7'11" x 26.2" x 4" x 94L

SunnyBouy
473 posts
7 Dec 2020 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Casso.

supthecreek
2585 posts
8 Dec 2020 2:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Casso said..

supthecreek said..

Casso said..
Got mine out again...

Love it!
Question:

Good question STC.

I find with any board over about 7 foot, my feet are too far apart to put enough weight on my front foot for acceleration if my back foot is on the tail pad kicker. So if I want to go fast (and straight), I slide my back foot forward and weight up my front foot over the flatter planing area of the rocker. Then, when I want to turn sharply I'll slide my back foot to the kicker and weight up the tail while keeping my front foot in (pretty much) the same position to help with steering through the turn.

Thanks Casso!
Sheesh... there's no hope for me, I'll never get to a 7' board
Guess I'll just have to keep running back and forth

tannaman
55 posts
8 Dec 2020 4:08AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Casso. I've got a 7.11 speeed and thinking of putting a Tuttle box in it for gentle foiling. Heading to Indo to mainly to sup and can't take 2 boards. How do you think it will work and might I be stuffing up a great board.
I foil a 6.6 signature but can't take it as well.
ive seen you on the Sunova combo one which is a wee bit shorter.
any comment appreciated

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
8 Dec 2020 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tannaman said..
Hi Casso. I've got a 7.11 speeed and thinking of putting a Tuttle box in it for gentle foiling. Heading to Indo to mainly to sup and can't take 2 boards. How do you think it will work and might I be stuffing up a great board.
I foil a 6.6 signature but can't take it as well.
ive seen you on the Sunova combo one which is a wee bit shorter.
any comment appreciated

If you had to put a tuttle box in a SUP and use the one board for SUP surfing and foiling - the Speeed would be the one to do it! There will be an ever so slight degradation in performance when SUP surfing due to the slightly different weight distribution and it wouldn't foil quite as good as a dedicated foil board - but to have the best of both worlds, it'd be great.

colas
4992 posts
8 Dec 2020 3:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..

It is doable: I had a 130l 6'6" once...
I even rode it as a single fin, with a Cheyne Horan "Star fin", that was quite fun!

tannaman
55 posts
10 Dec 2020 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for input Colas and Casso. I'm going to give it a try.

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
22 Apr 2021 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Had an absolute blast on my 711 Speeed today .
Light offshore winds , 2-3ft. Absolute speed on the face and always making the sections on long rides. Just love this board . Can be tippy out back but once on wave it is fast and still as smooth as butter . Nice carvy turns . I don't think there is a better board an intermediate

bobajob
QLD, 1534 posts
23 Nov 2021 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

A couple of questions for the speeeed freaks.

1. Did the speeed come in a 10'6 size? I had a look on the web site and the biggest I could see was 10'. There is one for sale that the add says it's 10'6, which leads me to my next question.
2. Would the speeed at 10' or over make a good small "roller" or point break board like a long board or mal type sup?

I'm only 83kg wet and was after a small wave fun board that would pick up small waves early and easily with a bit or turn to it as well. Doesn't have to be high performance but at least manageable on a wave. It doesn't mention the width of the thing but it comes with bag, paddle, trolley and looks and says its in excellent condition.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Where have all the Sunova SPEEEDS gone?" started by tannaman