Thumbs Up

Flat water, open water and some racing

The only one I can think of is the pipes 2

There is the hulu range ?

Area10
1508 posts
27 Mar 2016 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

The GL Wahine is marketed as a women's surf paddle but it makes a good distance paddle too.

Whassup
NSW, 84 posts
27 Mar 2016 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

Wtf is a 'women's paddle'? Other than a marketing exercise.

Area10
1508 posts
27 Mar 2016 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

It usually means smaller blade, girly graphics, narrower diameter shaft. Pretty obvious really. We live in a gender-biased world, and some people like to identify with a particular gender stereotype through just about everything they own from cars to pens. Men are just as bad - otherwise why else would Jimmy Lewis name his boards like he does: Mission, U-Boat, Stiletto etc. There is a man who is afraid of being thought girly... and SICs are called eg. "Bullet", "F14" etc. Deliberately macho too. It wouldn't be surprising if some women might find this hard to identify with.

In any case, making paddles aimed at smaller paddlers surely isn't an unreasonable thing to do? A large proportion if them will be women. So maybe this goes beyond mere gender stereotyping, even if it is helped along by it.

Foam
WA, 768 posts
27 Mar 2016 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks but after flat and open water only so I guess the only choice is the pipes

LucBenac
432 posts
27 Mar 2016 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
why else would Jimmy Lewis name his boards like he does: Mission, U-Boat, Stiletto etc.

Still I like a woman in stiletto sometime but definitely not a man....even in Brazil...

Whassup
NSW, 84 posts
27 Mar 2016 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Got it. So actually no different to a small guys paddle just with chicks graphics. Like I said a marketing exercise.

Foam
WA, 768 posts
27 Mar 2016 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Not realy no.. if I used a pipes I would snap it in half

hanza1111
84 posts
27 Mar 2016 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foam said..
Thanks but after flat and open water only so I guess the only choice is the pipes

My 2 cents...

As Area 10 has mentioned I would not rule out the GL Surf Wahine. The Slim diameter shaft + softer surf flex = comfort. Smallest blade area (79 sq IN) out of your choices but the heaviest by a tad but obviously the most durable.
Symmetrical blade for easy skimming and round edges to protect board.
Shaft may be too soft if you go racing later on but also that's personal preference.

Pipes II = Standard shaft and 83 sq IN. Perhaps stiffer flex than wahine surf.
Blade profile has slightly more catch and thinner blade so may paddle slightly more efficiently and little more power.

Hulu Small = Lightest out of the bunch and 87 sq IN and standard diameter. (Stiffest out of this lot but actually MED compared to other race paddles or SIC battle race paddle in particular). More solid catch than the Pipes and more efficient by having the thinnest blade of all and dihedral face. Smooth through the water but may feel more powerful than the rest. Great all around paddle for racing/downwinding/surf race. This what I use now, I'm 65kg.

Just heard new stock arriving very soon. I can't wait!
If you don't know already, you can ask him here about the paddles and stock: gaastra.co.nz/contact/

Foam
WA, 768 posts
27 Mar 2016 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info but I have trouble buying on own paddles now I have to choose one for her as well .

I am just going on what kialoa site is saying as a woman spacific paddle Being the pipes 2

hanza1111
84 posts
28 Mar 2016 2:28AM
Thumbs Up

Haha classic. Yeah you can't go wrong.

cbigsup
454 posts
28 Mar 2016 2:36AM
Thumbs Up

Have a Hulu small and it suits me perfectly. 5'8" 68 kgs. No Sheila graphics either!

Foam
WA, 768 posts
28 Mar 2016 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

Yes it does seem the hulu small is good for woman paddlers

Foam
WA, 768 posts
29 Mar 2016 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

What typical length I thought 10 above

Foam
WA, 768 posts
29 Mar 2016 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

Flat water down winders what a abomination .

Different lengths for each discipline. ..

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Woman spacific kialoa" started by Foam