Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

bigger 160 litre sunova wave board for 1 foot days

Created by Tardy > 9 months ago, 23 Jul 2018
Tardy
4930 posts
23 Jul 2018 6:19AM
Thumbs Up

well ,like all places we all have the odd 1 foot day ...but better than nothing ..

i usually use my 11,6 glide for this ,but it just wants to go straight .,i have a buyer for it .

so I'm looking at buying a large sunova wave board .under 10 foot
just for paddling around and catching a few lumps ,i'm trying not to go too wide ..
as i think you just loose to much speed .

does anyone have these boards and can comment on them .
9,6 flow 33 wide ,159 litres ,
9,5 speed 31 1/6 160 speed
9,7 32 7/8 160 litre creek .

i think they all would be great muck around boards .and cruising ....I am leaning toward the 9,5 speed .
may even consider the 9,11 32 7/8 175 .but it is quite wide .

i can't demo .but do ride smaller versions .

thanks in advance .

chucktheskiffie
219 posts
23 Jul 2018 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

I have a 9'5 speeed.

The only problem with riding it in smaller weak is that you really need to be ALL the way back to turn it.

If you can swing that, it'll make a pretty good addition to your quiver. It is fun and i use it for nearly everything now...

Tardy
4930 posts
23 Jul 2018 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

thanks chuck ,
looking for a fast paddler more than anything ,and i guess the distance stepping back on a 9,5 vs a 11,6
is a pass.i believe it has a longboard feel.?

chucktheskiffie
219 posts
23 Jul 2018 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

Feels a little like a long board if you are riding from the middle... step back and it livens up a whole bunch.

the wide outline to the nose will give you stability when moving forward. A lot of people say its tippy when standing around... but i reckon a lot of them just went a touch too small. I fall off a little on my 9'5, but not too much and i weigh a lot.

Its a good board, especially for where i was in my progression... really showed me what a proper board can do after jumping down from a191lt allwave.

KDog
303 posts
23 Jul 2018 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

Don't know anything about the bigger speed but once in awhile I flat water paddle my 8-10 speed and it's just kind of a dog big wide nose with lots of scoop just plows water add to that ample tail rocker =not so fast

Tardy
4930 posts
23 Jul 2018 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KDog said..
Don't know anything about the bigger speed but once in awhile I flat water paddle my 8-10 speed and it's just kind of a dog big wide nose with lots of scoop just plows water add to that ample tail rocker =not so fast

thanks K dog sounds like my 9,0 flash ...max tail rocker.

yeah i kinda want a board where you know theres got bugger all waves ,but want to go for a paddle around ,and maybe catch a lump or 2 ,but don't feel like loading the 14 on .

my 130 flow is a great paddler ,maybe i should look at the big flow 9,6 ,they can be ridden from the centre ok .and has a flat tail rocker making it flat water friendly ....in fact the 130 feels like a table in real surf....it could be my flow collection 8,7 ,8,10 & 9,6
plus others

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
23 Jul 2018 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

How's it goin Tardy
Mate - I've just picked up a 10'6 Style XL and it is a deadest ripper.
I'm up north in Darwin and we get bugger all swell eh - two foot during the Dry Season and a bit more during the cyclone season.
The Style is SWEET!!! It has me in to just about anything from knee high and up.
Granted the 10'6 might be bit more length than what you are after, but at 158.5 litres - it's just about bang on for volume for what you are looking for (160 litres).
I dunno how big you are - I'm 107 kgs and 6'2 and it floats me no worries. The Sunova rails are sick and give it a 'Mal' feel = not fat or boaty at all.
I reckon if you're fair dinkum about the conditions you've got and want something that'll get you into waves, cruise round and have a blast - definitely check out the Style - better still - demo one if you can.

Cheers cob!

Hoppo3228
VIC, 744 posts
23 Jul 2018 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

I had a custom surf made for mostly the same reasons - 10'4" x 28.5" x 140L - we changed the rocker to surf more like a Flow (flatter tail, but high performance rocker) and changed the rails to be more like a shortboard.

It's perfect for weak points or reefs.

I deliberately didn't go a Style as I didn't want to slow down and pivot when I weighed the tail, I wanted to drive / accelerate.

Attached a couple of pics of small Bells a couple of weeks ago.

I also would definately NOT go a large Speeed. Tail rocker and really straight rail just not suited to small mush IMO. How about a Steeze?

Tardy
4930 posts
23 Jul 2018 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

thanks mango ,,,i think your on something ,googled it and it defiantly fits the bill ...i like it

nice glassy wave ,hoppo..yes maybe the steeze....

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
23 Jul 2018 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hoppo3228 said..
I had a custom surf made for mostly the same reasons - 10'4" x 28.5" x 140L - we changed the rocker to surf more like a Flow (flatter tail, but high performance rocker) and changed the rails to be more like a shortboard.

I deliberately didn't go a Style as I didn't want to slow down and pivot when I weighed the tail, I wanted to drive / accelerate.

I also would definately NOT go a large Speeed. Tail rocker and really straight rail just not suited to small mush IMO. How about a Steeze?

Yeah - good call Hoppo. The Style definitely more suited to 'log' style surfing - it almost begs to be ridden on the nose eh.
Mate - cracking pics of Bells - far out - clean as whistle and I reckon you would have had a ball! Geez I miss that west coast juice!

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
23 Jul 2018 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
thanks mango ,,,i think your on something ,googled it and it defiantly fits the bill ...i like it

nice glassy wave ,hoppo..yes maybe the steeze....

Hey Tardy - yeah I reckon you'd be pretty stoked.
And - like Hoppo - I was gonna suggest the Steeze also - I reckon that'd be worth checking out also man!

Hoppo3228
VIC, 744 posts
23 Jul 2018 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MangoDingo said..

Hoppo3228 said..

Yeah - good call Hoppo. The Style definitely more suited to 'log' style surfing - it almost begs to be ridden on the nose eh.
Mate - cracking pics of Bells - far out - clean as whistle and I reckon you would have had a ball! Geez I miss that west coast juice!

Tardy, Sup the Creek has loaded some good vids on you tube of the Steeze which are worth a look.

Mango, yeah there was only 2 of us out with midweek Bells glass.

Not a bad day out!

surfinJ
663 posts
26 Jul 2018 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

Here's another shout out for a custom from Bert.
10-6x31 Surf thinned out to 150l. As true all arounder works great from 1-10', but is a blast when it's small.

And this is fun in gutless 1-2', sorry the nose rides don't show up clearly with the mouth cam.

exiled
362 posts
27 Jul 2018 2:15AM
Thumbs Up

Wow, you got Bert to put futures boxes in?

Tardy
4930 posts
27 Jul 2018 3:55AM
Thumbs Up

awesome ,looks like you where having a ball ,certinally is a small wave machine
thanks for the photos

and nice rocker line ,..its kinda what I'm after .

THE QUAD is the go too

THANKs HOPPO ...for your input on the surf .too.

London
SA, 62 posts
29 Jul 2018 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

Would the 9'7 creek not give you the float you want to have fun in smaller weaker waves ? It was on you original list. You may never go back to your smaller creek ...

Tardy
4930 posts
29 Jul 2018 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

thanks london ..was thinking the speed ,but the more i think of it the rounded rails are for me .I did have ago on the larger creek .9'7 .
it is a large board in the nose ...the more i think about it ,a bigger custom acid ,will be on the cards .
thinking 9,6 ..31, wide .. .quad ...it might serve as a big wave board as well .

why the acid ,because the rocker line and pulled in tail and nose ,it can stay loose at low speeds .

or the insane shape .maybe too gunny ,still deciding .

may go for a flow rocker???

that guy
79 posts
30 Jul 2018 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

get the style for sure i.m.o. .. it will improve yr surfing on other boards also..:)

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"bigger 160 litre sunova wave board for 1 foot days" started by Tardy