Foam
WA, 768 posts
26 Feb 2016 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Is Simon still at deep I have sent 3 emails over two weeks and no reply

I see one of the Jackson close board 9.0x31 at 136 litres

I am tempted by this board vs my jp surf 8,10 x30 at 126 litres

I want a lot more stability and more comfort
But I'm worried going back to 136 litres is a bit much vs the 126 I'm on now but I guess Stability is gained in both width and litres

Foam
WA, 768 posts
26 Feb 2016 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

To explain what I'm after... I like my jp surf 8,10
But 7/10 times its hard work at 90kg

So my thinking tank was ticking over any thought maybe I'm best to get another board aimed at more a intermediate

Being the Jackson close 9.0x31 136 litres these dimensions seem to be aimed at a 90kg intermediate

Jradedmondo
NSW, 633 posts
26 Feb 2016 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

hi
sometimes they are not great at replying to emails, took a while when i was sussing out some boards, all of their boards are customs so if you have a chat to them when they do reply they should be able to sort you out with what you want

Jarryd

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
26 Feb 2016 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Simon was away last week, try ring, find they answer their phones

SteveM74
QLD, 122 posts
27 Feb 2016 4:19AM
Thumbs Up

Busy fella

Even try text message him if no answer
Usually responds

The factory is link into Dolphin surfcraft which is pumping out large volumes of clubby boards skis etc etc

Always a busy place when you visit ????

brusier
192 posts
27 Feb 2016 3:39AM
Thumbs Up

Simple, get a JP WB 8'8" and you will be sorted

Foam
WA, 768 posts
27 Feb 2016 7:31AM
Thumbs Up

Yea bruiser your quite correct but I'm after performance still and the jp wide body nose won't allow that .

mattyongoldy
QLD, 166 posts
27 Feb 2016 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

How about the minion, slate or hypernut options. I dumped my 8'6 jp surf due to stability issues and grabbed a 7'6 jp slate havn't event looked at another board since.

Foam
WA, 768 posts
27 Feb 2016 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Yes possible options especially the hyper nut I'm guessing 7,8 or the 8,0

The slate would be mean but I am not convinced it would be more stable than the jp

Supmaori
746 posts
27 Feb 2016 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

Mate go the Minion u won't look back :-)..although If I was going to get a second board ..and was rich it would b a Jackson 8'4 around the 110L or a Sunova :-)

Foam
WA, 768 posts
27 Feb 2016 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

The 7,8 minion does not seem to have that great of stability

By the deep you mention then I guess the 9.0 x31 at 136 litres is a bit big then

Supmaori
746 posts
27 Feb 2016 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Mate I ride my 7'8 in chop , glass, wind, onshore,offshore.small, overhead.pretty much anything if there are waves..IMO it has great stability..as good if not better than my 8'10 prowave... yeah personally for me anything over 115L I see as too big now after riding my minion

cbigsup
454 posts
27 Feb 2016 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

I had a Slate which was MORE stable than an 8'8" custom!

A buddy has both the JP 8'6" Surf, and the 7'6" Slate and his experience was - surprise- similar to Matty! Way more stable, he may even sell his 8'6"..Just sayin'..

mattyongoldy
QLD, 166 posts
28 Feb 2016 3:01AM
Thumbs Up

The lateral stability on the slate style boards isnt any better but what makes up for it is the nose and tail dont sink so you only have to concentrate on not falling off the sides. I think its the easiest way to get a board that performs and is relatively stable. Other wise id be on a 8'10 traditional or 8'2 widebody style board.

Foam
WA, 768 posts
28 Feb 2016 4:06AM
Thumbs Up

Yes I agree that's why I like my jp surf 8,10 But I would like a step up in stability comfort

So best to stick to traditional shapes
I think jumping to a 136 litres deep Jackson close might be going to big/floaty etc
Then again I have no idea

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
28 Feb 2016 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Foam

I have a JP Surf 8'10" I bought several years ago (2013) before the new shape so while its still 126 Lt. I think it has a little more tail and nose area and slightly less rocker than the new model
I find it less stable in chop than other boards its size or even smaller boards for that matter.
I have a 7'11" Fanatic Allwave which I ride as well so I wouldn't say its lack of ability causing these stability issues.
I am about 80Kg and I feel it floats quite high in the water which I think causes the pitching. Sometimes rails that are a little lower in the water seem to be more stable.
It also has a fairly flat bottom with subtle contours as opposed to a pronounced concave.
I run it with Jackson Close fins. The original larger fins it came with do add a lot more stability waiting in the line up but they reduced performance.
Having said all that I do like the way the board performs, it carves nicely and the whole rail works for you. A little instability is worth the results on the wave in my opinion.
Its a good board, I wouldn't change it for a board you couldn't demo in similar conditions as I have demo'd boards that I thought would suit me but didn't.

Foam
WA, 768 posts
28 Feb 2016 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Yes very true, mine is 2015 I have has the last two days the best sessions to date on it 7 hours and stability was good .
But if jp had a 8,10 130 litres and 31 wide surf I would be all over it.

Yes it does surf very well I have changed my stance a little and standing slightly further back which is making things a bit easier.
I think at 90kg it's perfect in size and litres if clean or even semi clean but add adverse conditions at my weight and it's hard work.
But I do injoy the board 70 percent of the time but like I mentioned if jp has a board a steep down for comfort this would be great but in the jp surf shape.

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
28 Feb 2016 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foam said...
Is Simon still at deep I have sent 3 emails over two weeks and no reply

I see one of the Jackson close board 9.0x31 at 136 litres

I am tempted by this board vs my jp surf 8,10 x30 at 126 litres

I want a lot more stability and more comfort
But I'm worried going back to 136 litres is a bit much vs the 126 I'm on now but I guess Stability is gained in both width and litres

Simon surfs and has a family. Patience pays off. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get a 5th deep board past "she who must be obeyed"........

Foam
WA, 768 posts
28 Feb 2016 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

All good I'm sticking with my jp

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
28 Feb 2016 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Cool. I loved my surf pro. Until i creased it doing f all. Took months to sort it. Looked deeper and never looked back.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"deep sup" started by Foam