Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

fanatic stylemaster 9 1

Created by normster > 9 months ago, 8 Sep 2016
normster
NSW, 316 posts
8 Sep 2016 3:14PM
Thumbs Up

i am looking for a longboard sup and ideally i would like 9 6,( i know the sunova style is there and it gets a great review)

i don't want 10 as it is too long for me.

i have paddled the 9 1 fanatic on pristine flat water and it seems fine and i am thinking it would do what i need, has anyone ridden one yet, they are a new addition to Fanatic range

the other option would be laird 9 surfer

can you have a long board that is too short ? i am 80 kgs inetrmediate

SunovaUK
12 posts
8 Sep 2016 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

9`2 to 9`6 are perfect lenghths, look at what the pro`s ride

but for sure its up to you how many steps to the nose you are comfortable with, at 85 kg wet and intermediate +30 to 40 ltrs is good so around the 115 ltr mark will be ideal but the offset will be in the width as the board will need to accommodate volume

Style really is an amazing board and is lighter and stronger than others + off course proper shaping pedigree

9′ 6″ x 27 1/2 x 3 7/8 @ 112L
10′ 0″ x 29 x 4 @ 130L

both killer boards that are amazingly agile as a single fin set up

Hope that helps - check the review

JonesySUP
QLD, 872 posts
16 Sep 2016 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
normster said..
i am looking for a longboard sup and ideally i would like 9 6,( i know the sunova style is there and it gets a great review)

i don't want 10 as it is too long for me.

i have paddled the 9 1 fanatic on pristine flat water and it seems fine and i am thinking it would do what i need, has anyone ridden one yet, they are a new addition to Fanatic range

the other option would be laird 9 surfer

can you have a long board that is too short ? i am 80 kgs inetrmediate

Hey Normster
Just picked up the 9' Style master and she's a fun machine.. I'm 84kegs and its super stable.

Kenoo
WA, 115 posts
16 Sep 2016 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

C4 Waterman Bruddah is a great long board style board designed in Hawaii.

normster
NSW, 316 posts
16 Sep 2016 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

looks good Jonesy, thanks,

treatyoself
54 posts
18 Sep 2016 4:54AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone felt the weight difference between the LTD and pure construction?

Lucyloo
VIC, 139 posts
18 Sep 2016 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Normster got an almost new 9.6 Atlantis longboard here for sale if you are in Vic.Areally good cheaper option to ease into the sup longboarding area.If interested its in Buy n Sell.

windsurftom
NSW, 333 posts
18 Sep 2016 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
treatyoself said..
Has anyone felt the weight difference between the LTD and pure construction?

yeah I was wondering that

Their website says

9'
LTD 8.65
Pure 8.9

10'
LTD 9.3
Pure 10.05

Not bad bad weight penalty for a when the LTD is 50% are expensive than the price of a PURE

It does say that the weight tolerance for pure is +/- 9% though which is pretty ordinary. You could end up with an 11kg 10'

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
19 Sep 2016 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsurftom said..
Not bad bad weight penalty for a when the LTD is 50% are expensive than the price of a PURE

It does say that the weight tolerance for pure is +/- 9% though which is pretty ordinary. You could end up with an 11kg 10'

Yes only a small weight difference, the new Pure construction is different from previous Fanatic boards.

They like to put in some extra "just in case" fudge factor in the specs but most boards will be within about +/- 4%

SurfNiels
182 posts
20 Sep 2016 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

I briefly paddled the 9' stylemaster in ltd on the weekend. Beautifull board in super quality . Picks up the smallest waves and turns really well.
Very positive experience

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
20 Sep 2016 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

I surfed the 10 ft stylemaster a few weeks ago at Moruya and found it to be just like surfing a shorter board. It was super responsive, carved turns and as a bonus if you treated her right became a traditional longboard. Overall, an incredible board, really well made and super stable. I was not a fan of the domed deck but after using it I found it worked a treat. The one thing that might catch you out is that the natural inclination is to take a wider stance, but in the case of the Fanatic this just causes it to become unstable. Much better to keep your feet closer together and all of a sudden it is a dream to paddle though the roughest water.

If I was in the market for a longboard style board the short list would be this one alone. On that weekend I tested this one, I also road the naish nalu and I would pick the Fanatic everytime.

As a disclaimer I am not a Fanatic team rider due to an extreme lack of skill and a lilly white body. I am however always open to offers or bribes :)

MickChard
VIC, 183 posts
20 Sep 2016 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

I have been surfing the 10ft pure construction ... I have too say it pretty solid .. Actually loose like a tiny bit of short board feel off the tail but locks hard on rail and i can get to the nose really easy even tho I've never ridden a long board .. I don't like wide boards and was worried it might be a bitch too turn but no chance ...

I haven't ridden any other 10ft s tho so i can't compare but yer its fun and i had it out today in 2-3 ft beach break in torquay and it loved it ...

I can't wait to take it out in some solid 4ft next swell ..

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
21 Sep 2016 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

Jonesy throwing the 9 footer around.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
21 Sep 2016 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
22 Sep 2016 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

I demo' last years 10' model and found it quite heavy and a little flat in the nose for my liking.
Have they changed the shape or made it lighter this year.
Obviously the 9' is a new model and I would be keen to try that.

MickChard
VIC, 183 posts
22 Sep 2016 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

Flying High did last years model have the really thin rails too ??

I did think the board was gonna be heavy in the water but its not too bad ..

I think the 10ft Sunova style might be lighter and maybe snappier off the tail still ?????

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
23 Sep 2016 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickChard said..
Flying High did last years model have the really thin rails too ??

I did think the board was gonna be heavy in the water but its not too bad ..

I think the 10ft Sunova style might be lighter and maybe snappier off the tail still ?????

Yes it did have nice thin rails.

1fox
184 posts
23 Sep 2016 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gregc said...
If I was in the market for a longboard style board the short list would be this one alone. On that weekend I tested this one, I also road the naish nalu and I would pick the Fanatic everytime.

Did you ride the regular Nalu or the LE?

windsurftom
NSW, 333 posts
24 Sep 2016 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

How is the 9' stylemaster on the flat water for a lightweight? I am looking for a more manoeuvrable longboard than my Nalu 10'6, but my GF wants the Nalu if I get a new one.

Hoppo3228
VIC, 744 posts
24 Sep 2016 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsurftom said..
How is the 9' stylemaster on the flat water for a lightweight? I am looking for a more manoeuvrable longboard than my Nalu 10'6, but my GF wants the Nalu if I get a new one.

How about a Jimmy Lewis Striker then? Worth a look!

Slab
1063 posts
24 Sep 2016 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hoppo3228 said..

windsurftom said..

Striker is a real fun board. I have the 9 5. I'm not that keen on it when the water is choppy as the flat nose catches/sinks at times...but that just might be me. I prefer a bit more nose rocker on longboard shapes. I wish it had a subtle concave in the nose too. On a clean day it is a really really nice board to surf.

Slab
1063 posts
24 Sep 2016 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hoppo3228 said..

windsurftom said..

Striker is a real fun board. I have the 9 5. I'm not that keen on it when the water is choppy as the flat nose catches/sinks at times...but that just might be me. I prefer a bit more nose rocker on longboard shapes just to help me out as I am an average surfer. I wish it had a subtle concave in the nose too. On a clean day it is a really really nice board to surf. It's a board that keeps growing on me even though I have had it for a year or two .....that's always a good sign.

Hoppo3228
VIC, 744 posts
24 Sep 2016 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

I just had Sunova make me a full custom board.... you could always go down this route if you know what you want...

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
25 Sep 2016 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsurftom said...

The 9 footer would be fine on the flat for a light weight, but you're best to demo to make sure. It comes down to ability and what weight the paddler really is.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"fanatic stylemaster 9 1" started by normster