Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

new paddle time kialoa

Created by Foam > 9 months ago, 24 Jan 2016
Foam
WA, 768 posts
24 Jan 2016 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Surf gl 2 vs kialoa methane 2

I have always used a methane but I see there is better out there for a dedicated surf paddle

hanza1111
84 posts
24 Jan 2016 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

I'm upgrading my Makani also which I used in the surf. Was thinking the Naish surf LE paddle or Kialoa GL 2. I'm going to demo the GL2 from ALexander in Auck. I think it might be stiffer than the Naish paddle and looks solid. Both look nice.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
24 Jan 2016 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foam said..
Surf gl 2 vs kialoa methane 2

I have always used a methane but I see there is better out there for a dedicated surf paddle

I have the Pipes 2 [same as the Methane 2 but slightly smaller]

and I have the new GL 2 [in the slightly smaller Wahine size]

You can see how different they are in this vid with the first paddle being the Pipes and the GL at 4.37 mark.

Foam
WA, 768 posts
24 Jan 2016 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

The gl 2 seems to be the best dedicated paddle for surf but I'm guessing the methane 2 is still the chosen choice above them all .
The gl 2 would be nice but I'm right at home with my methane and would like a methane 2 but not if I can get a much better paddle foe surf only

Foam
WA, 768 posts
25 Jan 2016 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

Is the original kialoa shaft the same as the new shaft
I'm thinking of just changing blades I seem to have a badly constructed blade it's cracking from the inside out and I can now feel the decal as the coating has fallen off
I'm sure this is a warranty claim

Foam
WA, 768 posts
26 Jan 2016 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

Yea I think the gl 2 is stiffer but as it's for surf or surf specific I guess it needs to be .
The kialoa methane 2 now seems aimed at a all round paddle

Anyone else changed from the methane to the gl 2

Foam
WA, 768 posts
27 Jan 2016 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

Foam
WA, 768 posts
27 Jan 2016 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

Any preference

hanza1111
84 posts
29 Jan 2016 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foam said..
The gl 2 seems to be the best dedicated paddle for surf but I'm guessing the methane 2 is still the chosen choice above them all .
The gl 2 would be nice but I'm right at home with my methane and would like a methane 2 but not if I can get a much better paddle foe surf only

Hi I've just read a few old posts on seabreeze and the kialoa online info, and a bit of info from the kialoa sup paddles importer in NZ. He is doing an order very soon.
Find his details here: gaastra.co.nz/contact/

It sounds you want a solid paddle for surf (?). I would go GL2 if it was me as it is thicker walled, rounder blade edged to protect your board, and more durable... over the methane 2. Methane 2 like always is still an all-around top notch paddle for 2016 by the sounds, without the extra GL2 durable features for big surf.

There is a great post here from earlier in 2015:
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/Which-Kialoa-Paddle/

And I'll add what Dave Chun posted also in that thread that will add some history in the new shaft/blade tech and that you can't just swap the blades to the new shafts...

" The 2015 Methane 2 and Pipes 2 are complete redesigns. I believe the original blades and shaft, were designed in 2008. The 2015 shaft, is Pre-Impregnated (pre-preg) carbon epoxy shaft build on a solid steel mandrel. Shafts built in this manner are very consistent and yield great strength to weight ratios. Which is super important when working with extremely thin walled tubes (shafts). The old shaft was built using Resin Transfer Molding (RTM), with a flexible silicone mandrel. We chose this method of construction to accommodate the complex oval taper shaft design. In shaft testing, the RTM shafts, yield a break strength beyond the most super human capabilities. But, the method is not as consistent as pre-preg. In the field, failure rate is less than 1%. But, on a forum, you generally only hear about the bad things, which makes things seem much worse than they are. While a failure rate of less than 1% is acceptable for a product, we noticed that the failure rate for all our other products, outrigger, dragon boat, and SUP, were far less. This is what prompted us to switch; to re-tool the paddles and go with a pre-preg shaft. The only reason we continued the RTM tapered oval for such a long run, was customer feedback. Our customers liked the shape. At this time we are not able to build this shaft in a cost effective manner with the pre-preg method. The blade on the 2015 Methane and Pipes, are also different. The blade attaches to the shaft internally. The old model has the blade fitting over the shaft. The blade angle is also different. 13 degrees for the Methane and 12 degrees for the Pipes. These paddles are classified as “All-Around” paddles. As most of the broken Methanes/Pipes have happened while surfing, we introduced the GL line of surfing paddles. (Gerry actually helped me shape the original tooling model. I had to hand hold the blade as he used his Skil 100 surfboard planner, so I didn’t have a free hand to take a photo.) While blade failure with the Methane and Pipes are extremely rare, we designed the GL blades to be stronger. For the pure SUP surfer, the GL in is in theory, a more durable paddle. However, bad things happen in the impact zone, and we will never be able to fully bomb proof a paddle. GL paddles have a pre-preg shaft, with a lay-up geared for surf. Let me know if you need more information. Aloha, Dave "

hanza1111
84 posts
29 Jan 2016 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

info for new paddles I have got ....

Methane 2

ALL WATER
If you want a paddle that performs well in a variety of environments, or will be used by family and friends, then an All Water paddle is for you. All Water
paddles are designed to be versatile in their use but not necessarily excel at any one specific activity within stand up paddling.

METHANE II
The original performance oriented SUP. Great for all types of paddling.
•• Carbon Ergo-T™ Grip provides the greatest level of control and allows for a
relaxed hand position.
SHAFT
•• Light and responsive carbon shaft.
•• Carbon shaft has the highest energy transfer during the paddle stroke.
•• Offers the highest strength to weight ratio.
BLADE
•• 92 square inch Carbon Foam Core blade for versatile power.
•• PowerARC™ blade profile for a solid catch.
•• Internal carbon edgebanding for stellar blade durability.

12 degrees
92 sq in
7 ¾ x 16 1/2

hanza1111
84 posts
29 Jan 2016 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

GL2

SURF
If you need a paddle that will be strong enough for the dynamic ocean environment, then you should choose a paddle in our Surf series. Our Surf paddles
feature a symmetrical blade for easy skimming and rounded blade edges that will protect your board

GL SURF II
Designed by surfers for surfers. Our durable,
lightweight, high performance surf specific
paddle.
•• Carbon Ergo-T™ Grip provides the greatest level of
control and allows for a relaxed hand position.
SHAFT
•• Durable and responsive carbon shaft with
optimized flex for surfing
•• Carbon shaft has the highest energy transfer
during the paddle stroke.
•• Offers the highest strength to weight ratio.
shaft for better visibility in the surf.
BLADE
•• 90 square inch blade for the perfect power
in the surf.
•• Symmetrical Carbon Foam Core blade for
easy skimming.
•• Rounded blade edge protects your board.
•• Internal carbon edgebanding for stellar
blade durability.

10 degrees
90 sq in
7 9/16 x 17

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"new paddle time kialoa" started by Foam