Maldives Trip - June 2019

Created by WhatSUP? > 9 months ago, 29 Apr 2019
WhatSUP?
NSW, 13 posts
29 Apr 2019 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all

Long time reader, first time poster!
Anyone got any thoughts on which of my two Sunova SUP's would be best suited in the Maldives?
I have an 8'7" Flow, and a 8'10" Speeed to choose from.
I realise rider ability etc. comes into it, but I would say I'm at the upper end of intermediate, maybe bottom end of advanced on a good day Goofy foot and 85kg.
I'd also like to know if an 8'10" Speeed fits into a Flying Objects board bag (with room for extra padding)? I tried Flying Objects direct but they were unsure.
I'm on Moon Tours boat - Carpe Diem for 8 days, then Kandooma surf resort for 10 days.

Love to hear your thoughts?

Gary

Tardy
4919 posts
30 Apr 2019 3:58AM
Thumbs Up

lucky bugger ..

i know Trent usually takes a 8.10 speed on those trips for people to use ,as well as creeks .

so maybe take the 8,7 flow ,i wish I'd taken mine

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
30 Apr 2019 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

I took my 7'7 Flow to the Maldives last year and loved it. This year I am taking a 7'10 Acid.

Check with Trent and Steph what they already have on board because as Tardy says they usually have a few boards around that 8'10 size.

WhatSUP?
NSW, 13 posts
30 Apr 2019 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to both of you for the advice

I have reserved the 9'0" Flash for the boat so I'll have two options - that plus my 8'7" Flow.

When I'm at Kandooma I'll only have one board so it sounds like the Flow is the go, or is that go with the Flow

P.S. Tardy, how is your 9'0" Flash going?

Tardy
4919 posts
1 May 2019 3:47AM
Thumbs Up

to tell the truth ,i switched boards on the trip and preferred the 8,10 creek because it was smaller ,125litre vs 132.9
however the 9,0 flash was good on the bigger days ,I also use my flash here on bigger days too.
have a go on the 9,1 acid over there too ,if its still on board ,thats what i ride most now .

when your on such perfect waves as the maldives ,i tend to use as small as i can ,
wish i had my 8'7 flow over there ,,next year..

have fun ,and post some pictures ...

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
1 May 2019 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

FWIW I agree with the Flow as the best choice. I took a speed once. It was good on some of the faster waves - e.g. Machines - when you needed to go fast down the line, but for turns, the flow would be better. I have tried the Speed and Acid and much prefer the Acid, but the Flow is 'close' to the acid (I previously owned a flow). And for the waves around Kandoomas, again, the Flow would be best.

WhatSUP?
NSW, 13 posts
1 May 2019 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cantSUPenough said..
FWIW I agree with the Flow as the best choice. I took a speed once. It was good on some of the faster waves - e.g. Machines - when you needed to go fast down the line, but for turns, the flow would be better. I have tried the Speed and Acid and much prefer the Acid, but the Flow is 'close' to the acid (I previously owned a flow). And for the waves around Kandoomas, again, the Flow would be best.

Thanks again Tardy and CSE, I was hoping you'd jump on to this post as I knew you went last year.

I'll definitely post some photos!

I always read with interest what you guys say in other posts and the advice and tips you provide is very much appreciated

Jungleman
NSW, 96 posts
3 May 2019 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

The Maldives? What? I thought they were underwater due to climate change?

"Threat to Islands: Maldives, A gradual rise in average sea level is threatening to completely cover this Indian Ocean nation of 1196 small Islands within the next 30 years, according to authorities." The Canberra Times, Sept 26 1988.

colas
4986 posts
3 May 2019 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jungleman said..

The sea level has risen... but the islands have continued their growth (atolls are created by coral growth around sinking montains/volcanoes) at apparently a bigger pace. But of course, coral reefs are also engendered by a lot of factors, some being climate-change related.

www.abc.net.au/news/2010-06-03/pacific-islands-growing-not-sinking/851738

Ecological issues are very complex, with a lot of unexpected side effects in one way or the other.

Jungleman
NSW, 96 posts
4 May 2019 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

Jungleman said..

The sea level has risen... but the islands have continued their growth (atolls are created by coral growth around sinking montains/volcanoes) at apparently a bigger pace. But of course, coral reefs are also engendered by a lot of factors, some being climate-change related.

www.abc.net.au/news/2010-06-03/pacific-islands-growing-not-sinking/851738

Ecological issues are very complex, with a lot of unexpected side effects in one way or the other.

I guess my point is that despite these enormous complexities you mention, climate activists continue to dogmatically make ever increasingly outrageous claims. That climate and sea levels change is not really contested. It is the rate and the causes that are in question. Climate activitism is hyperventilating atm and i believe what we are seeing is more an emotional response particularly among the young rather than one based on facts.

colas
4986 posts
4 May 2019 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jungleman said..
I guess my point is that despite these enormous complexities you mention, climate activists continue to dogmatically make ever increasingly outrageous claims. That climate and sea levels change is not really contested. It is the rate and the causes that are in question. Climate activitism is hyperventilating atm and i believe what we are seeing is more an emotional response particularly among the young rather than one based on facts.

Be careful to not fall for the various strawmen (and strawwomwen) built but the various lobbies, if you really listen to climate activists they are often far from how they are portrayed by some media and politicians. If you want to ridicule a cause, whatever it is, it is easy to find some weirdo defending it to focus on.

The rate (range) and the causes are not really in question. The complexities are more in the visible consequences: how a global warming can result in some locally colder seasons? where the heat goes (deep in the ocean? atmosphere?), the other factors (such as the underground water being made non drinkable because of the salt, even if the island does not sink like in the Maldives,....) etc... which makes this hard to experience at the human scale, like most geological and evolutionary ones.

The emotional distress is also justified when you understand the cataclysmic effects looming around that will be very nearly impossible to counter once triggered, such as the methane released from the permafrost, the loss of light reflection from the snow... This is what is really terrifying, even if we cannot predict exactly when it will happen, because when we see it it will be too late.

I guess we were lucky that the ozone layer hole was discovered before the current polarization in politics, and that humanity could react in a quick and sane way at the time. If it had happened now, I guess we would have seen hordes with maga hats spraying CFCs around just to "punish" these horrible libtards that dared try to save our common planet...

lam
VIC, 251 posts
4 May 2019 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Well said Colas. The real threat, is not recognising the rate and its causes. Those that think it is up for debate are the real problem.
Jungleman needs to do some research and discover the actual facts.

Jungleman
NSW, 96 posts
4 May 2019 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

It has been some time now along the climate prediction path, and so I find it interesting that although the number of climate predictions that have failed spectactularly to come to fruition are numerous , yet somehow it is considered unreasonable to even question. amazing.

surfinJ
663 posts
4 May 2019 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

Question me then. Greenland, I've been flying this route for over thirty years. And this vid is two years old.
The snow pac used to be to the edge and then ice. See it now?
And don't get me started on how the jet stream has changed in the same period.

Sorry Sirsupalot. I vote flow also, you'll want a small tail for the island juice. Enjoy and give us pics, pls.

WhatSUP?
NSW, 13 posts
5 May 2019 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfinJ said..
Question me then. Greenland, I've been flying this route for over thirty years. And this vid is two years old.
The snow pac used to be to the edge and then ice. See it now?
And don't get me started on how the jet stream has changed in the same period.

Sorry Sirsupalot. I vote flow also, you'll want a small tail for the island juice. Enjoy and give us pics, pls.

Thanks Surfin Will do.

colas
4986 posts
6 May 2019 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jungleman said..
It has been some time now along the climate prediction path, and so I find it interesting that although the number of climate predictions that have failed spectactularly to come to fruition are numerous , yet somehow it is considered unreasonable to even question. amazing.

If you look at actual numbers, not the weirdos on Fox News, the predictions were actually UNDERestimating the changes!

An interesting summary:
www.climatecentral.org/news/ipcc-predictions-then-versus-now-15340

"In the 2001 report, the IPCC projected a sea rise of 2 millimeters per year. " / "Today: Observed sea-level-rise has averaged 3.3 millimeters per year since 1990."

Jungleman
NSW, 96 posts
8 May 2019 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

Jungleman said..

If you look at actual numbers, not the weirdos on Fox News, the predictions were actually UNDERestimating the changes!

An interesting summary:
www.climatecentral.org/news/ipcc-predictions-then-versus-now-15340

"In the 2001 report, the IPCC projected a sea rise of 2 millimeters per year. " / "Today: Observed sea-level-rise has averaged 3.3 millimeters per year since 1990."

Some say the consensus among scientists is overwhelming - that human generated CO2 spells doom for the planet, however just a little research tells me there are a few more objectors than just "the weirdos on Fox News" that question the findings of organisations like IPCC. How do you view the Oregon Petition?

lam
VIC, 251 posts
8 May 2019 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Apparently, Charles Darwin the spice girls and various Star Wars characters signed the oregan petition. I suggest you do some proper research jungleman rather than ' just a little'.

WhatSUP?
NSW, 13 posts
8 May 2019 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surf4fun said..
I took my 7'7 Flow to the Maldives last year and loved it. This year I am taking a 7'10 Acid.

Check with Trent and Steph what they already have on board because as Tardy says they usually have a few boards around that 8'10 size.

Thanks again Cam

Jungleman
NSW, 96 posts
8 May 2019 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lam said..
Apparently, Charles Darwin the spice girls and various Star Wars characters signed the oregan petition. I suggest you do some proper research jungleman rather than ' just a little'.

I didnt spot those names but there may well be the odd one in there ... perhaps you can confirm the page you saw them on? i believe the signatories were each contacted and confirmed and compiled into a printed journal in recent times. So out of interest how many of the 31,487 names would need to be proven legitimate for you to acknowledge non-concensus?

Seajuice
NSW, 907 posts
8 May 2019 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Climate change? Oh. That's right. It's what global warming was renamed to when parts of it froze & othet parts flooded & stormed. Haa! Or was it called the Ozone layer in the first place?
I think a lot of people have forgotten that we had an ice age & the earth is slowly getting back to how it was, warmer. So of course the ice will melt & seas will rise until the earth stabilizes. But the earth will naturally have its snow storms, rain, floods & drought whilst this stabilization happens.
And humans think that they are the only cause of it. And continue blaming each other & telling each other to go green to save the world. But I haven't heard anyone say to control population growth. Because as the human population grows they will need more of everything to sustain themselves. So it wont matter how green we go.
And as for Australian politicians saying they will tackle climate change, they still sell coal & gas overseas for other countries to burn? And penalise those in our country for carbon emissions. Give me a break!
Oh, and has anyone thought of other things that make sea levels rise? Maybe its all the things we humans dump into the oceans & tidal lakes etc. Buildings, ships, submarines, boats, oil rigs & reclaiming land that used to be under water might just rise the sea levels enough to flood over some near sea level islands. Just check the internet to see how many ships are in our worlds waters.
So who & what is at fault? Well I heard that human intervention may only be a very minute cause at this stage.
So good luck with saving the world. Looks like I will see the solutions filling the pockets of the rich who will continue on supporting both sides.
I could go on. But I reckon the Sunova Flow would be great for the Maldives. But don't go too big as it will only raise the tide & the waves will get too fat. Haaaa!

colas
4986 posts
8 May 2019 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jungleman said..
I didnt spot those names but there may well be the odd one in there ... perhaps you can confirm the page you saw them on? i believe the signatories were each contacted and confirmed and compiled into a printed journal in recent times. So out of interest how many of the 31,487 names would need to be proven legitimate for you to acknowledge non-concensus?

I didn't knew this petition, but had a good laugh, what a joke...

"The verification of the scientists was listed at 95%,[19] but the means by which this verification was done was not specified."

You "i believe the signatories were each contacted"... if you believe that without any evidence, I have a bridge to sell you.

Fox news hasn't the monopoly of weirdos, it is actually an abundant natural resource :-)

Seajuice, what you fail to see is the timescale of the changes. Previous changes happened orders of magnitude slower, but our human brains are not able to deal with huge temporal scales

Jungleman
NSW, 96 posts
9 May 2019 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

To so quickly dismiss that petition as a joke seems a little unreasonable to me. Arthur Robinson, the founder of the Oregon Institute obviously put his reputation on the line to compile it and had an institute of volunteers to assist stated as follows:

In 2007, the 31,000+ signers were additionally vetted by a team of volunteers because the enviros tried many times to put on false names. All were prevented. There has never been a false name found on that list.
r
ead the full article here...
defyccc.com/oregon-petition-all-signatures-were-verified-fact-checkers-lie-and-project/

Now I suppose the man along with every one of his Institute fellows could all be liars and complicit together to have concocted a fake survey. Is that reasonable?

colas
4986 posts
9 May 2019 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jungleman said..
To so quickly dismiss that petition as a joke seems a little unreasonable to me.

You don't get it. The concept of a petition in sciences is a joke by itself and totally idiotic. Imagine a petition by people saying that Copernic was wrong and the earth does not revolve around the sun, or against the findings of Darwin, Pasteur, Einstein...

Actually it is not hard to imagine, this is what Churches have been doing for centuries... Reality is based on facts and experiments, not beliefs. You can get now millions of people in the US declaring that the earth is only 6000 years old, it will dwarf your petition. Even a petition for the flat earth may have more than 31000 signers.

lam
VIC, 251 posts
9 May 2019 5:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Seajuice said..
Climate change? Oh. That's right. It's what global warming was renamed to when parts of it froze & othet parts flooded & stormed. Haa! Or was it called the Ozone layer in the first place?
I think a lot of people have forgotten that we had an ice age & the earth is slowly getting back to how it was, warmer. So of course the ice will melt & seas will rise until the earth stabilizes. But the earth will naturally have its snow storms, rain, floods & drought whilst this stabilization happens.
And humans think that they are the only cause of it. And continue blaming each other & telling each other to go green to save the world. But I haven't heard anyone say to control population growth. Because as the human population grows they will need more of everything to sustain themselves. So it wont matter how green we go.
And as for Australian politicians saying they will tackle climate change, they still sell coal & gas overseas for other countries to burn? And penalise those in our country for carbon emissions. Give me a break!
Oh, and has anyone thought of other things that make sea levels rise? Maybe its all the things we humans dump into the oceans & tidal lakes etc. Buildings, ships, submarines, boats, oil rigs & reclaiming land that used to be under water might just rise the sea levels enough to flood over some near sea level islands. Just check the internet to see how many ships are in our worlds waters.
So who & what is at fault? Well I heard that human intervention may only be a very minute cause at this stage.
So good luck with saving the world. Looks like I will see the solutions filling the pockets of the rich who will continue on supporting both sides.
I could go on. But I reckon the Sunova Flow would be great for the Maldives. But don't go too big as it will only raise the tide & the waves will get too fat. Haaaa!

I am not really sure it is worth commenting on such nonsense but for what it is worth, scientists agree that oceans rising is due to land ice melting and thermal expansion both caused by global warming as a result of climate change caused to large degree by humans.

Timster
WA, 24 posts
9 May 2019 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

I'm more interested in the original topic of what board to take as I'm heading to the Maldives in September. We are currently a fair way off the original question!

Jungleman
NSW, 96 posts
9 May 2019 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

Jungleman said..
To so quickly dismiss that petition as a joke seems a little unreasonable to me.

You don't get it. The concept of a petition in sciences is a joke by itself and totally idiotic. Imagine a petition by people saying that Copernic was wrong and the earth does not revolve around the sun, or against the findings of Darwin, Pasteur, Einstein...

Actually it is not hard to imagine, this is what Churches have been doing for centuries... Reality is based on facts and experiments, not beliefs. You can get now millions of people in the US declaring that the earth is only 6000 years old, it will dwarf your petition. Even a petition for the flat earth may have more than 31000 signers.

Perhaps we might have to disagree in this and so I make some closing remarks. I have understood exactly your points of view all along, I just happen to be far more cautious to embrace the views you put . And that is your prerogative - to have a different opinion as I do. Keep in mind that the Oregon Petition is not simply a petition, but was a demonstration to the increased dogmatism of "settled science" regarding catastrophic climate change caused by humans that a real debate exists and should STILL be ongoing. It was also presented with a lengthy scientific paper on the effects of atmospheric CO2 and extensively referenced to more than 130 journals and scientific papers. When it comes to the theory of catastrophic climate change I am seeing increased hostility against those who dare to have legitimate doubts, especially when objectors are qualified to have an input. This should not be the way science is approached and is counterproductive to us all. The alarmists at the moment seek to shut down debate now by ridicule and insult. And so your suggestion that the discussion we are having is anything like a flat earth debate is desperate and is a sign that the science you subscribe to is not sufficient on it`s own. Surely it is in everybody`s best interest to scrutinise the science openly from all sides even more so, so the policy makers can be as informed as possible. You may not like Freeman Dyson but I would encourage you to have a listen to a short interview from an old man, qualified more than most and yet is actually a moderate.

colas
4986 posts
9 May 2019 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Jungleman, stop ridiculing yourself. Their documents are faked (imitating signatures), and their authority was seen as having already lost his marbles.... already 30 years ago by the tobacco lobbyists themselves. This crook was trying to get financed by the tobbaco industry.

"Fred Seitz, the author of the cover letter, is also the former medical advisor to RJ Reynolds medical research program. A 1989 Philip Morris memo stated that Seitz was "quite elderly and not sufficiently rational to offer advice."
www.desmogblog.com/sites/beta.desmogblog.com/files/2023266534_0.pdf

See for example: www.desmogblog.com/oregon-petition with actual references.

But again science is done via rational deduction, and confronting theories to repeatable experiments, and peer-reviewed publications. None of this comes even close to this Oregon scam.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Maldives Trip - June 2019" started by WhatSUP?